PDA

View Full Version : Help with Birthday menu

melrose7
04-02-2018, 09:37 AM
We usually do a meat like ham or pork with pasta sides, salad, fruit etc. this is a family party for DSs party. Anywhere from 20-30 adults and 15-20 kids. My family is not good about RSVPing. Anyways I’m thinking of serving tacos instead this year. So not my thing-not my favorite food. But was going to make a shredded chicken taco and t beef taco. Have both corn and flour tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, avocados, sour cream. Then thinking of making baked beans-not sure on that since I don’t like them- maybe rice, my mom has a green salad that she says goes with tacos. I feel out of my comfort zone and not sure what to serve with tacos.
Before dinner we will have a veggie dish, crackers, cheese, sausage, guacamole and chips. So what should I serve with the tacos? What am I missing?

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't do baked beans. I'd either use Pioneer Woman's pinto bean recipe or do refried beans (even from a can would do). I like having diced, sauteed onions and peppers available for people to add to their tacos, rice or beans. They really are a nice addition. I really like taco bars for gatherings. I've seen the combos people come up with and it seems pretty clear that everyone is able to find something they can and will eat. If you have a Target or Whole Foods nearby, buy some Frontera brand taco seasoning sauces. They come in a pouch and are a liquid you pour into the meat. They have one for ground beef, one for chicken and lots of other options. They are so good. The chicken one is my favorite. Best taco seasoning I've used by far. Maybe you'll come away liking tacos after all. :)

Pulled pork, chili bar, baked potato bar or soup buffet are some back up ideas.

melrose7
04-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't do baked beans. I'd either use Pioneer Woman's pinto bean recipe or do refried beans (even from a can would do). I like having diced, sauteed onions and peppers available for people to add to their tacos, rice or beans. They really are a nice addition. I really like taco bars for gatherings. I've seen the combos people come up with and it seems pretty clear that everyone is able to find something they can and will eat. If you have a Target or Whole Foods nearby, buy some Frontera brand taco seasoning sauces. They come in a pouch and are a liquid you pour into the meat. They have one for ground beef, one for chicken and lots of other options. They are so good. The chicken one is my favorite. Best taco seasoning I've used by far. Maybe you'll come away liking tacos after all. :)

Pulled pork, chili bar, baked potato bar or soup buffet are some back up ideas.

Thanks for the ideas...I think I was thinking retried beans-that makes more sense.

This was one of the ones I was thinking of making

https://www.skinnytaste.com/barbacoa-beef/

I will look for that taco seasoning. I usually make my own. My husband likes it-I’ve just never really been a taco fan.

My husband might also be able to get a nacho cheese machine from work. Just don’t really have room to put it in our house.

KpbS
04-02-2018, 10:48 AM
I would serve chips, salsa, and guacamole with tacos and toppings. Refried beans are super easy and I like to punch up the canned version by adding my own seasonings. Sounds like a fun party!

DietCokeLover
04-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Tortillachips, salsa and queso. You could also do some tropical fruit mix such as pineapple, banana and mango.

jenstring95
04-02-2018, 11:06 PM
My husband might also be able to get a nacho cheese machine from work. Just don’t really have room to put it in our house.

You don't need a nacho cheese machine - just some quest from Costco or some Velveeta and Rotel and a crock pot or microwave. But chips and queso (however you want to prepare it) would go really well on a taco bar. Guacamole too.

bigsis
04-03-2018, 12:13 AM
I love my authentic taco bars; I usually do carne asada, chorizo, and chicken. I'd definitely chop some onions and cilantro, mix them together as a topping. Don't forget slices of limes. I don't see pico de gallo or salsa on your list--that's a must.

I would say no to baked beans too, but why not get a big can of pinto beans, refried is good too.

Just reading the replies---I've served nacho cheese before. I just get a big can and put it in the crockpot on low, then warm. It's a guilty pleasure for me :bag You can put the beans in the crockpot too, if you have a 2nd one.

plusbellelavie
04-03-2018, 12:19 PM
This mango salsa with black beans goes great with tacos or a side...I think it’s better if made and refrigerated overnight

https://www.restlesschipotle.com/shredded-pork-tacos-with-mango-salsa/

Crock pots wirk great for a taco bar

The pulled pork in the above recipe is very good and can be used in a taco bar or if it tacos are not your thing why not bbq sandwich bar with pulled chicken bbq as well?