PDA

View Full Version : What interests have you been able to pursue?

magnoliaparadise
04-03-2018, 01:25 AM
On one of my FB groups, a poster asked what new interests others had pursued lately (that question was for post 40 years old, but if you are not yet 40, you can answer it for now) successfully or unsuccessfully. I was surprised how much it prompted a lot of people to post about their interests - with a ton of passion.

Which of course made me wonder what I've been doing :)

That FB group isn't focused around kids, so probably many posters have no kids (or adult kids) in their lives and more time.

But I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts - what interests have you done successfully or unsuccessfully? And if you haven't been able to pursue any interests since your kids were born, what would you like to do when your time / money free up?

StantonHyde
04-03-2018, 02:01 AM
I go on a week long backpacking trip with the Sierra Club every year--I NEED my desert fix once a year in the spring. I had to take a break for 2 years with each kid--one year pregnant plus one year breast feeding. But otherwise, I have kept at it. It is absolutely essential to my soul.

I always ran and lifted weights to get in shape for backpacking. But then staying in shape from May-September was hit or miss. So at the age of 45, I started doing sprint distance triathlons and when I hit 50, and the kids were older and I could train longer, I bumped up to Olympic distance triathlons. My dream would be to do half-Iron Mans when DC2 is driving and then train for an Iron Man when she goes to college and I don't know what to do with my self :-)

I am also a volunteer educator for Planned Parenthood--I do one presentation a month. I like giving back and filling a niche that is very important for vulnerable populations. (I have worked with teens in a chemical dependency treatment center for 20 years. Very interesting group!)

I need to get out more on weekends and see things in our city that the kids don't necessarily want to see---art exhibits etc--but I can leave them to their friends and their phones now that they are teens:-) And sometimes they want to come with me. Bottom line, my kids and DH are homebodies but I am not.

And I need to get back to gardening which I have always loved.

anonomom
04-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I was in our town's concert choir until DS was born. I hope to return once we're not to busy with other activities.

This past year, I've become very politically involved, both with actual electoral politics and with advocacy. I wouldn't have called it an "interest," as such, but a need arose and I was able to help, and things snowballed from there. And I'm finding it all pretty challenging and fulfilling.

I do want to get back to quilting; a hobby that fell by the wayside as soon as my kids stopped napping and that I somehow never have time for now that they're all in school.

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
I took up running. I've done a half marathon but don't think longer distances are for me. 10ks are good. I've trained for and done several long distance, strenuous hikes (20+ miles). I have learned about myself that I don't enjoy those though and didn't quite have the needed endurance. :) It's been neat to try things and make peace with my strengths and interests. A friend just asked me to do another half marathon with her and I confidently said "no thanks". I truly used to be a person though that said I'd only run if being chased. I exercised other ways and was fit but no interest in running. Now, to just lace up my sneakers and head out is awesome.

I'm kind of in a rut otherwise now though.

Kindra178
04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I run with friends a couple of mornings a week. We have run with wind chills in the below zero range. We don't meet if there's ice or snow. We did couch to 5k in the fall. If anyone is on the fence about that app, do it! I can't recommend it enough. Grab a friend or two for accountability sake.

Cooking. I have always enjoyed but I love trying new recipes.

gatorsmom
04-03-2018, 11:11 AM
I’ve gotten so busy with volunteer activities and chauffeuring the kids around to their activities that I’ve let my hobbies go. :( My one true love is reading and I find that I hadn’t read something that I really enjoyed in years. So I joined a book club last fall. The advantage is that because we meet to discuss the book, im forced to take time for it and not make excuses. I’m really enjoying reading again!

Also, a new hobby that I started when I had to work with the kids on their homework was reading about historical jewels. It was never something I was interested in but it’s a perfect topic to read while the kids are doing homework. I often have to sit with them (my 4h graders, that is) to make sure they finish their homework but I can’t read anything too interesting that will draw their attention away and distract them. They find this stuff boring but I find it fascinating. I went so far as to travel to London to visit some of these jewels in person at the Victoria and Albert museum. And a piece of jewelry that has fascinated for several year now has just been donated to a museum along with a tiara that was saved from private auction and is now on display. I really want to go see it! I just wish I knew of another jewelry buff to travel with me who was as excited about this stuff as I am. It would be fun to share this fascination with someone else

melrose7
04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
I started playing soccer again on a women’s league (indoor). I played growing up and in college. It’s not very competitive but more recreational-an over 30 league- even though we are all closer or above 40. Started again after DD1 was born and then again when I wasn’t pregnant. Stopped about 7 yrs ago and just stared up last fall. I enjoy it but worried about getting injured as is DH. I play goalie so more possibility of injury. Just sprained my finger last week in a game but I can handle a minor injury as our other goalkeeper broke her arm in January and is still recovering.

DualvansMommy
04-03-2018, 12:31 PM
I used to love swimming and running when I was younger. More so with swimming. Kept it up throughout college by joining a running group and a swim team . Stopped completely after grad during moving, new job & getting married etc.

I started swimming last year early spring. Remembered again why I love to swim without being distracted by my kids in the pool, etc. then I joined a FB running challenge group last Thanksgiving; the challenge was to run a minimum of one mile OUTSIDE no matter what’s the weather. That gotten me hooked and back to running now whereas previously it was always on and off in spurts. Now it’s daily for me and notice a difference with myself if I hadn’t got my run in that day.

I always had a passion to be involved with victims of DV & sexual violence after doing an internship. But the stars never aligned to really pursue or give more of my time to the cause till now with a very possible involvement again PT. So I’m excited about that as it is a big passion for me, and like to see it grow when DS2 is in kindergarten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro