PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of things do you do to calm your individual children?

bisous
04-03-2018, 01:53 PM
For me and my four kids, different things seem to work for different kids.

Surprisingly, for DS1 and DD they both reset by playing outside, maybe something sensory with sand or grass.

For DS2, he's really super easy. As long as he has had enough sleep, he's very centered.

DS3 is still a bit of a mystery to me. I actually think watching TV might calm him. Has anyone else ever observed this before? It seems almost counterintuitive. Today is the first day back from Spring Break and DS3 is very out of sorts. I'd like to really focus on getting him back in school mode today and I'm trying to figure him out!

TIA!

mnj77
04-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Dd has always been easygoing and has gotten pretty good at taking care of her own mood at age 11. When she was littler and got cranky, she usually either needed some time for independent play or she needed to poop :). Now she says she needs some “introvert time” and disappears for a while to do something independently.

bisous
04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
"Introvert time" that's great. I need to be able to articulate that!

bisous
04-03-2018, 06:38 PM
I've had DS3 working on building with legos all afternoon. He hasn't asked for a show so I haven't turned one on. I need to figure him out because he's been very distracted and upset lately--I think he is having some sensory overload.

magnoliaparadise
04-03-2018, 07:50 PM
DD1 becomes calmer by reading and taking some quiet time.
DD2 becomes calmer by full-on attention and distraction and the opportunity to answer a lot of questions. Sometimes, though, if she is having a temper tantrum, she finds it hard to switch to calm - it is a slow process to get her calmer.

daisyd
04-03-2018, 08:51 PM
DS1 calms with reading, music, cleaning, bath time
DS2 likes physical activity, distraction

Some of this is age dependent as well. As younger kids need more adult attention or involvement to calm. Older kids are able to do some of this for themselves.

StantonHyde
04-03-2018, 10:44 PM
they have changed over time. DS, who has anxiety, ADD, and sensory issues, has always calmed with TV or video games. He just needs to shut down and get into his own world.

DD has always needed activity. When she was little, she loved being upside down. We were at a bday party when she was 3-ish and she was cranky. I picked her up and said, "do you need to be upside down?". Yep, did the trick. The other moms got a chuckle out of that--but whatever works. We actually had a pogo stick for years and she would pogo while watching TV or videos or whatever. Anything to get her energy out. (We have a playroom that has 25 year guaranteed Pergo flooring so she can't hurt anything other than herself and she's pretty agile so we are lucky that way) Now that she is almost a teen, she needs lots of time in her room to draw. She still likes, and seeks out, snuggles. :hug:

Both of my kids have this driving need to talk about all of life's major issues at bed time. arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh. When they were little, I just wanted them to sleep so I could get a moment to myself. Now they are teens. I am here all night long and not one peep. Even if I make them turn their screens off an hour before bed time. Nope. All issues must be discussed when they are finally done for the day and their heads are on their pillows. And they go to bed at 9-10 pm now. I.just.want.to.go.to.sleep.

le sigh......