PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Dryer ???

hbridge
04-03-2018, 03:25 PM
So our 7 year old whirlpool dryer is on the fritz AGAIN! In October the drum started to squeal and we had it fixed at a cost of $200. This afternoon it has started to "squeal" again!!!!

So what do you think... Should we repair or replace?

If we replace, does anyone have a basic, "work horse" type electric dryer that is reliable that they would recommed?

I am SO tired of replacing appliances. They are NOT made to last and we seem to be replacing something every 6 months or so. I don't care about "bells and whistles", I just want things to work!

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Find an old one that someone is upgrading from. ;) I have been reluctant to replace appliances bc I want them to last and they just don't seem to. I'm toying with the idea of finding old ones that still work but people are swapping for one with bells and whistles.

I think Speed Queen ones are low frills and work well though.

c&j04
04-03-2018, 05:14 PM
I have a basic speed queen and I'm very happy with it.

zukeypur
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
I don’t see any need to spend a ton on a dryer. You really just need it to turn and heat, IMO. There are some pretty inexpensive dryers on the market, and the next big sale isn’t too far away (Memorial Day). We just bought a new washer and kept our old Maytag dryer. You could get a model that is sold in all the big box stores, and do a price rewind on your credit card if they offer that.

ETA: I realize I didn’t answer your original question. If your dryer has already been repaired once for $200, there is no way I’d be dropping more money into it. FYI, consumer reports said that LG had the lowest failure rate for both washers and dryers. Samsung was the worst for dryers, and middle of the pack for washers. We went with an LG washer, and are thinking of buying the matching dryer on Memorial Day or Black Friday.

hbridge
04-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies...

We are buying new... I am having enough trouble with new appliances, I can't imagine finding a "used" dryer that would work well for a long time. Of course, we keep everything until it is no longer functioning so I can't imagine just upgrading anything :)...

DH just said "replace". Now with what? I need the dryer to dry the clothes, that's it. Other than that, I would prefer large capacity and extremely reliable I will look into LG. Failure rate is my biggest concern :)!

We cannot wait for Memorial Day sales. I need a dryer ASAP. Hopefully, before this weekend... The last time we were without a dryer it was beautiful out, perfect for line drying clothes. Now, not so much...

AnnieW625
04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
We have the base model Electrolux gas dryer and are very happy with it. We have had it for 5 years. The only issue with it is that it is quite large and barely fits our space.

We have a Speed Queen was her and I would buy the dryer as well in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zukeypur
04-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies...

We are buying new... I am having enough trouble with new appliances, I can't imagine finding a "used" dryer that would work well for a long time. Of course, we keep everything until it is no longer functioning so I can't imagine just upgrading anything :)...

DH just said "replace". Now with what? I need the dryer to dry the clothes, that's it. Other than that, I would prefer large capacity and extremely reliable I will look into LG. Failure rate is my biggest concern :)!

We cannot wait for Memorial Day sales. I need a dryer ASAP. Hopefully, before this weekend... The last time we were without a dryer it was beautiful out, perfect for line drying clothes. Now, not so much...

Does your credit card have a price rewind feature? We have used that on the Costco card recently for a TV (purchased before Black Friday, and they honored Black Friday pricing) and an Apple Watch. I have also set up a price rewind for the washer, although I’m sure they won’t find a lower price than what I paid. I’ll miss the Memorial Day sale by 1 week. It was worth it to not have to lug clothes to the laundromat again.

Melbel
04-04-2018, 08:43 AM
I would love to replace our LG dryer. It takes over an hour to dry clothes (both with front loader Bosch and Speed Queen) and I constantly have to reset it. We have also had to replace the lint tray several times because it cracks and then snags/rips clothing. We will probably get a SQ dryer.

khm
04-04-2018, 10:15 AM
As others have said on previous threads, get a dryer where the drum runs on rollers, not felt or plastic pads. The pads wear flatter and flatter until the dryer squeaks and there may be a gap large enough for your clothes to rub and leave marks from dragging inside that gap.

That said, ours has felt pads and is 16 years old. We've replaced them ourselves twice. It isn't fun, but it isn't overly difficult.

I thoroughly agree that any machine bought today will not last 16 years. All appliances we've bought lately, the sales people have told us 8 years will be a good run.

hbridge
04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
So I just purchased the middle level Speed Queen, to be delivered Saturday. It has a 5 year warranty. Since we plan on staying where we are for at least 5 more years, at least we have the warrantee.

We ALWAYS purchase from the same independent appliance store so they have all of our records, which helps.

Thank you ALL for your help.

Melbel
03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
I am reviving an old thread for any updates on the Speed Queen dryer or any other recommendations.

AnnieW625
03-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Still happy with our 7 year old Electrolux base model gas dryer. We got it in January of 2012, not 2013 which I thought we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbridge
03-05-2019, 08:24 AM
OP here, the dryer is working fine; does what it needs to, the clothes are dry... I recommend the Speed Queen...

almostmom
03-05-2019, 11:44 AM
OK, this is super helpful - we have a dryer that dries great, but squeaks! I don't want to replace it, as it seems like such a waste, just for the sound. But now I'll look into replacing the pads!