PDA

View Full Version : Is this weird or common practice?

bisous
04-03-2018, 06:03 PM
My BIL stayed at my home this weekend. After showering he’d leave his towel on the bath mat in a heap. His wife constantly berates the rest of us for our uncivilized manners. Is it ever considered polite or sanitary to leave a towel on the floor? Maybe it’s a signal that it needs to be washed? We reuse towels sometimes multiple times so I’m just wondering if this is just a different practice than I’m accustomed to. No big deal—just curious! TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2018, 06:17 PM
I don’t even do that at hotels unless I really need it replaced (since that’s what they tell you to do). Not great guest manners, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
04-03-2018, 06:18 PM
I mean, I know sometimes at hotels they say to throw them on the floor if dirty but I sure can't imagine anytime it'd be polite to do so in someone's home!

DualvansMommy
04-03-2018, 06:28 PM
I only do that in hotels when we’re finished with our stay. I leave all the dirty towels on the floor in bathroom in a neat pile, so they know it’s dirty.

Otherwise I hang it up on the hook whenever I’m a guest a someone’s home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bisous
04-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Ok thanks! I just thought it was so weird but maybe that's how really fancy people indicate that the towel has been "used" or something, lol. It really was no big deal and I was just curious. He was a great guest otherwise! My SIL is known to refuse to answer evites because she prefers paper... so I thought maybe it was an obscure etiquette rule. Sounds like it is not!

niccig
04-03-2018, 06:52 PM
My 13 year old does that because he’s lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
04-03-2018, 06:55 PM
I only do that in hotels when we’re finished with our stay. I leave all the dirty towels on the floor in bathroom in a neat pile, so they know it’s dirty.

Otherwise I hang it up on the hook whenever I’m a guest a someone’s home.

Yep, I only do it in hotels when done using them. They always replace them though even when we hang them on the hooks/towel rack.

mommy111
04-03-2018, 06:56 PM
My 13 does that because he’s lazy.

:rotflmao:

pharmjenn
04-03-2018, 07:22 PM
My 13 year old does that because he’s lazy.

I don't think my 10yo has ever hung up his towel on his own, even after me following him into his room and telling him. He will go into his bathroom like he is doing it, but when I check, the towel is on the floor below the bar.

Yep, I only do it in hotels when done using them. They always replace them though even when we hang them on the hooks/towel rack.

That bothers me, especially when they leave the signs saying they are green and will replace towels on the floor, leave towels hanging. I hang ours in different spots, or fold differently to tell them apart. Then we return to (apparently) new towels. I always wonder if they just refolded, and if I am going to be drying off with the one DS used that probably is not all that clean anymore.

georgiegirl
04-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Adults should be able to hang up their towel. I have to remind my kids to hang theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
04-03-2018, 08:34 PM
His wife constantly berates the rest of us for our uncivilized manners.

Well, she sounds lovely.

KpbS
04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
Well, she sounds lovely.

:yeahthat:

Wow, seriously? Your sil criticizes your manners?? I wonder what she would say about her husband and his regarding his towel?

magnoliaparadise
04-04-2018, 04:10 AM
My standards for house cleanliness are pretty low and I would find it gross for a house guest to leave a towel on the floor... it doesn't seem sanitary if he is going to use it again...

magnoliaparadise
04-04-2018, 04:13 AM
My SIL is known to refuse to answer evites because she prefers paper... so I thought maybe it was an obscure etiquette rule. Sounds like it is not!

Really? That is quirky.

As far as your BIL, if you like him otherwise, maybe it would be nice to say something for his sake? Like: 'you don't need to put the towels on the floor unless you are done with them. We generally use towels more than once' in a sweet way. Or if you would rather, make a joke, but I don't know, jokes can be misinterpreted or their messages missed.

BunnyBee
04-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Your SIL has some whacked out “manners.” If he didn’t want to reuse the towel, he should have asked where you would like dirty towels to go. Throwing them on the floor in someone’s home is rude. We throw all of them by the tub when checking out of a hotel because I read that was helpful to housekeeping.

khm
04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
All future invites to this pair would be evite if they were related to me......

magnoliaparadise
04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
All future invites to this pair would be evite if they were related to me......

hahahaha

TwinFoxes
04-04-2018, 10:35 AM
all future invites to this pair would be evite if they were related to me......

:rotflmao:

mom2binsd
04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
My x husband used to do this, he's a slob, note, he's my x husband and this behavior was one of the things I don't miss.

Your Bil was rude, he should have asked what to do with the towels, he's an adult, and should know better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

div_0305
04-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Did SIL see how he left the towel? As a guest in someone's house, before leaving I will make sure the beds we used are made and also offer to strip them and put new sheets on. I also gather any towels we've used and bring them to the laundry room (including offering to start a wash load). To the extent cleaning supplies are handy, I will wipe down bathroom counters and make sure the shower looks decent. Anything I can do to make less "clean up" work as a guest, is my goal when I stay at someone's house. Even my children would never leave a their towel on the floor at someone's home.

bisous
04-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Yeah, SIL is not my favorite. I think it is funny--the fashions herself a Southern Belle. She's lived her whole life in Southern California though her mom is from Louisiana so I guess she's got some cred there. It just seems like a funny and anachronistic thing to aspire to be in 2018. BIL is really nice but he's strongly influenced by his wife (and he picked her sooo....) Anyway, the towel things seemed really egregiously sloppy to me which is why it stood out. My 10yo still does this (drives me nuts) but my 14yo never does. They can be taught! Haha. We rarely see BIL because SIL doesn't like to spend too much time with the family. I would take 1000 towels on the floor if we could see him more--this is DH's twin brother. I find myself constantly just trying to understand this family!

NCGrandma
04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Yeah, SIL is not my favorite. I think it is funny--the fashions herself a Southern Belle. She's lived her whole life in Southern California though her mom is from Louisiana so I guess she's got some cred there. It just seems like a funny and anachronistic thing to aspire to be in 2018. BIL is really nice but he's strongly influenced by his wife (and he picked her sooo....) Anyway, the towel things seemed really egregiously sloppy to me which is why it stood out. My 10yo still does this (drives me nuts) but my 14yo never does. They can be taught! Haha. We rarely see BIL because SIL doesn't like to spend too much time with the family. I would take 1000 towels on the floor if we could see him more--this is DH's twin brother. I find myself constantly just trying to understand this family!

Around here, your SIL would get a heartfelt "bless her heart" [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)