PDA

View Full Version : 50th Birthday party gift?

bisous
04-03-2018, 06:40 PM
A friend of mine is having a 50th birthday party this weekend. She is a single mom with disabilities and her son is now in a home. Normally we might skip this party, as we're trying really hard to work on our finances but we want to support our friend and turning 50 is a big deal! What can I buy for her? We don't have a lot of money to spend but I would like to get her something she'd appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you!

PunkyBoo
04-04-2018, 11:12 AM
A friend of mine is having a 50th birthday party this weekend. She is a single mom with disabilities and her son is now in a home. Normally we might skip this party, as we're trying really hard to work on our finances but we want to support our friend and turning 50 is a big deal! What can I buy for her? We don't have a lot of money to spend but I would like to get her something she'd appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you!
My favorite gift from my 40th was from my sister- she took photos at the party (on her phone, nothing fancy though she did go around and get photos of all the guests even though she didn't know everyone) then made me a very nice shutterfly book. I love that book! I know it didn't cost her much at all, but it's invaluable to me because those are the only photos from that night.

mom2binsd
04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Does she ever treat herself? Maybe a manicure/pedicure at someplace nice, not sure of your budget?

I like the PP idea of offering to take photo's at the party, do you or your husband have a good camera (I thought maybe one of you did).

bisous
04-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Does she ever treat herself? Maybe a manicure/pedicure at someplace nice, not sure of your budget?

I like the PP idea of offering to take photo's at the party, do you or your husband have a good camera (I thought maybe one of you did).

He does have a nice camera! That's a great idea. I like all these ideas so far. Thank you!

dhano923
04-04-2018, 01:25 PM
I would do a pretty necklace or bracelet so she has a special momento from you to commemorate her birthday.

Other options:
Engraved wine glasses (Happy 50th birthday Jane!) and a nice bottle of wine. They have inexpensive glasses at Things Remembered at malls. I got a set of engraved wine glasses for my 40th and I do use them and remember the person who gave them to me.
A gift certificate for a cooking class might be fun if she enjoys cooking or wants to learn.
A magazine gift if you know what kind of magazines she likes. Add a little tangible item to the gift announcement, like some gardening tools with a gardening magazine gift, or some flavored salts with a cooking magazine. I’ve done this a few times and people always love it.

bisous
04-04-2018, 01:33 PM
I would do a pretty necklace or bracelet so she has a special momento from you to commemorate her birthday.

Other options:
Engraved wine glasses (Happy 50th birthday Jane!) and a nice bottle of wine. They have inexpensive glasses at Things Remembered at malls. I got a set of engraved wine glasses for my 40th and I do use them and remember the person who gave them to me.
A gift certificate for a cooking class might be fun if she enjoys cooking or wants to learn.
A magazine gift if you know what kind of magazines she likes. Add a little tangible item to the gift announcement, like some gardening tools with a gardening magazine gift, or some flavored salts with a cooking magazine. I’ve done this a few times and people always love it.

I like the idea of some kind of special, pretty jewelry. I think she'd like that.

She really has almost nothing. She is disabled and was a single mom until her 14yo (also disabled) was taken and put in a home this year. (This is the child that I used to watch occasionally and was very worried about.) She does work at a special program. She loves to sing and she always has simple but beautiful clothes (not very many outfits but always pretty and colorful and clean).