PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OCR violation?

bisous
04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
I'm actually not considering contacting the OCR but I would like to know as I'm still handling an issue with an accelerated math class from nearly a year ago.

The middle school DS1 attends offered an "Integrated Math" course this year to some, but not all students. When I discussed with the teacher, he mentioned that although DS1 has high math skills, he doesn't have the organization skills or the maturity to handle the coursework. Well, he has a 504 for ADHD. I feel like in this case he was discriminated against because of his disability since ADHD is almost by definition delayed maturity and lack of organization! FWIW, the class size is small--only 66 kids in 8th grade. Of those 66, 24 were offered a place in "Integrated Math". DS1 has advanced scores according to state testing and has had all A's in his regular math coursework this year.

One reason I don't want to pursue this is that I really don't want to penalize the school. Despite this issue they've been amazing for my kids. There are no better options in my area. The other reason is that ultimately I did stop fighting for placement. I kind of left it up to my DS and he decided not to do it. I feel like it is important to note that when I asked him about it I couched it in terms like "Your teacher doesn't think you qualify but I DO think you qualify. I'd like to fight for a spot for you but only if you will work really hard"... etc. I feel like if I had approached him like "Your school is offering this accelerated math course. It would be a great advantage to your future studies to take this now. Would you like to take it?"

Also, the school has repeatedly told me that this class is "a privilege" and that they can exclude whomever they want and they don't have to offer it to anyone. I do think they are not obligated to offer accelerated coursework, and by doing so they are doing it to benefit their students above and beyond what is "required" by the state. I also think that if they offer it to some kids that they need to be very careful about who they exclude. I don't know what kinds of categories are legal for exclusion. I seriously doubt it is okay to exclude based on disability though.

Kindra178
04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
What’s OCR?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
What’s OCR?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Sorry. Office of Civil Rights. It is the agency that kind of oversees Section 504 of the ed code (I might be phrasing this incorrectly--I'm not a lawyer, just a semi-informed parent!)

sariana
04-04-2018, 12:39 PM
I doubt it's an OCR violation, but I'm really angry on your behalf. And I totally understand not wanting to rock the boat for a school you otherwise like and appreciate.

My son has similar issues. He's capable of all the accelerated and/or advanced work, but he is so, so disorganized and also very impulsive, which messes up his citizenship grades. He lost out on CA Junior Scholarship Foundation because of ONE bad citizenship grade. Because he just can't keep his mouth shut. I think it was also a case of discrimination--he can't help himself, it's a disability. But it wasn't something worth fighting for because I knew there would be other battles.

Class placement, though, I would fight for. That has a ripple effect for years.

bisous
04-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I doubt it's an OCR violation, but I'm really angry on your behalf. And I totally understand not wanting to rock the boat for a school you otherwise like and appreciate.

My son has similar issues. He's capable of all the accelerated and/or advanced work, but he is so, so disorganized and also very impulsive, which messes up his citizenship grades. He lost out on CA Junior Scholarship Foundation because of ONE bad citizenship grade. Because he just can't keep his mouth shut. I think it was also a case of discrimination--he can't help himself, it's a disability. But it wasn't something worth fighting for because I knew there would be other battles.

Class placement, though, I would fight for. That has a ripple effect for years.

Yep. Still rippling. Thankfully the school just offered to enroll him in an online course for the summer to take Integrated Math (that he missed out on) at no charge and to recommend that he be placed in Math 2H next year. This is the result I want for now but I still regret that he was unable to take the course this year! I do think this might "fix" our current dilemma.

That is just infuriating for your DS that he would miss it by such a little thing as that. But yes to battle fatigue! Ugh.

I had a nice but heated conversation with the school today. I do feel like they will not discriminate against us going forward (we talked about this explicitly) though I do think they will be less likely to hire me as a substitute teacher. Maybe that is not such a bad thing ;) . I got another ten years worth of kids to go through this school though!!

specialp
04-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I also think that if they offer it to some kids that they need to be very careful about who they exclude. I don't know what kinds of categories are legal for exclusion. I seriously doubt it is okay to exclude based on disability though.

I'm not familiar with OCR, but was wondering if you know if anyone with ADHD was allowed into the integrated class?

bisous
04-04-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm not familiar with OCR, but was wondering if you know if anyone with ADHD was allowed into the integrated class?

I have no idea. I don't even have any way of finding that out because I'm sure that is protected information and I'm not familiar with any of the kids that I do know in the class having ADHD.

jenmcadams
04-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Yep. Still rippling. Thankfully the school just offered to enroll him in an online course for the summer to take Integrated Math (that he missed out on) at no charge and to recommend that he be placed in Math 2H next year. This is the result I want for now but I still regret that he was unable to take the course this year! I do think this might "fix" our current dilemma.

I am so glad you're getting some resolution and you have a pathway on to the right HS math track. I've been wondering how it was all resolved.

bisous
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
I am so glad you're getting some resolution and you have a pathway on to the right HS math track. I've been wondering how it was all resolved.

Thank you! I've been stewing over it all of Spring Break. This just happened today. I'm very relieved though I wish it had come about a different way. I probably should have put the question to him, "Do you want to take this math class NOW instead of PE or during the summer?" lol.

squimp
04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
I would be very upset if my kid had high scores and all As in math and they didn't offer the higher math course. So I'm glad you're pushing back on this.

georgiegirl
04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
I’m glad you are finding a way for your son to take the math class you want him to take next year. And it wasn’t fair to exclude him because of his adhd in the first place. Good for you for fighting for him now.

Our school is very specific about what a students needs in order to take an advanced math class. Kids need specific scores on Iowa assessments and map test to qualify to take the Iowa algebra readiness test. And in order to take prealgebra early (in 6th or even 5th grade), the student needs to get a specific score. No exceptions that I know of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bisous
04-04-2018, 02:21 PM
I would be very upset if my kid had high scores and all As in math and they didn't offer the higher math course. So I'm glad you're pushing back on this.

Thank you so much for saying this. I've been pushing for this all alone with everyone telling me that I just don't understand properly and that it isn't a big deal. I feel like I'm usually ok going on my own but for whatever reason reading these supportive posts today are helping me feel much better about what I'm doing!

bisous
04-04-2018, 02:24 PM
I’m glad you are finding a way for your son to take the math class you want him to take next year. And it wasn’t fair to exclude him because of his adhd in the first place. Good for you for fighting for him now.

Our school is very specific about what a students needs in order to take an advanced math class. Kids need specific scores on Iowa assessments and map test to qualify to take the Iowa algebra readiness test. And in order to take prealgebra early (in 6th or even 5th grade), the student needs to get a specific score. No exceptions that I know of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been calling every middle school in town today and it appears that most other middle schools start preparing to differentiate math classes in 6th grade. Our school doesn't and that's the problem. I'm going to keep talking about this much to the chagrin of the school, lol. I really do love this school BUT I think they need to review how they are handling math. They are not serving their population as well as they could be. BTW, the school your family attends has a very impressive middle school math program!

squimp
04-04-2018, 02:49 PM
I've been calling every middle school in town today and it appears that most other middle schools start preparing to differentiate math classes in 6th grade. Our school doesn't and that's the problem. I'm going to keep talking about this much to the chagrin of the school, lol. I really do love this school BUT I think they need to review how they are handling math. They are not serving their population as well as they could be. BTW, the school your family attends has a very impressive middle school math program!

Our school system starts differentiation in 3rd grade. There are arguments against it, but it really helps the kids who do well in math. You can accelerate up to any level in our district.

KpbS
04-05-2018, 02:20 PM
I just want to say that I am really impressed that your DS has such good grades and understanding in math with organizational struggles and adhd. That is super impressive and amazing!! Way to go, DS!!!! 🎉 I think he will enjoy the summer math class. 😊

bisous
04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
I just want to say that I am really impressed that your DS has such good grades and understanding in math with organizational struggles and adhd. That is super impressive and amazing!! Way to go, DS!!!! �� I think he will enjoy the summer math class. ��

Thank you for saying that! He is doing really well. I'm really proud of him. :)