PDA

View Full Version : Looking for small portable speaker for streaming music - does this exist?

TwoBees
04-05-2018, 09:54 AM
DD1 has been listening to music lately while doing homework, music that I stream on my phone through Amazon prime to a Bluetooth-connected wireless speaker. However, I don't really want my phone tied up streaming music all the time and would like to have a different device for that. I already tried my old iPod touch, but it is too old and cannot be updated to iOS 10, which the Amazon Prime Music app requires. We have two older iPad minis that the girls use but I also do not think those can be updated, and even if they can, I don't really want her to have access to them during homework time (she gets distracted very easily). Is there a small standalone speaker or music player device that can connect to our WiFi network to stream the music via amazon, that is NOT Echo/Google home etc (we do not currently have any of those smart home devices)?

khm
04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
DD1 has been listening to music lately while doing homework, music that I stream on my phone through Amazon prime to a Bluetooth-connected wireless speaker. However, I don't really want my phone tied up streaming music all the time and would like to have a different device for that. I already tried my old iPod touch, but it is too old and cannot be updated to iOS 10, which the Amazon Prime Music app requires. We have two older iPad minis that the girls use but I also do not think those can be updated, and even if they can, I don't really want her to have access to them during homework time (she gets distracted very easily). Is there a small standalone speaker or music player device that can connect to our WiFi network to stream the music via amazon, that is NOT Echo/Google home etc (we do not currently have any of those smart home devices)?

Try the iPads if they can be updated and use "Guided Access" to lock it to just the one app.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612

TwoBees
04-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Try the iPads if they can be updated and use "Guided Access" to lock it to just the one app.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612

Oh! I didn't think of that. That does mean I would have to activate the Guided Access every time, correct?

khm
04-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Oh! I didn't think of that. That does mean I would have to activate the Guided Access every time, correct?

I can't remember, I think it sticks until you unstick it.... So, no, I think you'd do it, then that iPad would be "locked up" until you undo it.

TwoBees
04-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I can't remember, I think it sticks until you unstick it.... So, no, I think you'd do it, then that iPad would be "locked up" until you undo it.

Wonderful, thanks! I will try it out.

legaleagle
04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
I think you can lock the iPad and still stream the music - not sure if you’re letting her choose song to song or not.

Eta: i have a mini 2 and I can update to 11

almostmom
04-05-2018, 12:20 PM
There are definitely small good speakers you can buy that work for this. Both my kids have them, and they are portable and sound good. They bring them outside when they play basketball and things like that. I don't know the exact brand they have, but I'm sure you can find something on amazon.

TwoBees
04-05-2018, 12:47 PM
There are definitely small good speakers you can buy that work for this. Both my kids have them, and they are portable and sound good. They bring them outside when they play basketball and things like that. I don't know the exact brand they have, but I'm sure you can find something on amazon.

It's not the speaker itself I am looking for, I am looking for a standalone speaker unit that itself can connect to wifi to stream the music, without having to be virtually tethered to another device (phone, ipad, etc). If you are able to find out what type your kids use, please let me know!

boilermakermom
04-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Not sure if this is what you are looking for - but we use this (https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B010OYASRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522953499&sr=8-3&keywords=oontz+speaker) in our kitchen. Love it!

georgiegirl
04-05-2018, 02:52 PM
You need an echo dot. That’s exactly what you are looking for. It doesn’t need to be tethered to a device. My kids unplug theirs and move it to other rooms all the time. It connects to your WiFi. If you want to make it more portable, you can connect it to one of those charging bricks so it doesn’t need to plug into the wall. I think most all Bluetooth speakers need to be connected to a phone or tablet to work. The echo dot is inexpensive and works well. My kids love to listen to music on it. And I love how there’s no screen involved.

Is there a reason you don’t want an echo? It’s super easy to use and it fits your purpose exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwoBees
04-05-2018, 03:07 PM
You need an echo dot. That’s exactly what you are looking for. It doesn’t need to be tethered to a device. My kids unplug theirs and move it to other rooms all the time. It connects to your WiFi. If you want to make it more portable, you can connect it to one of those charging bricks so it doesn’t need to plug into the wall. I think most all Bluetooth speakers need to be connected to a phone or tablet to work. The echo dot is inexpensive and works well. My kids love to listen to music on it. And I love how there’s no screen involved.

Is there a reason you don’t want an echo? It’s super easy to use and it fits your purpose exactly.

Basically because we are uncomfortable with a device listening in all the time... DH is an accountant and deals with a lot of credit card numbers and bank account information for his clients, so we are concerned it might be a security risk (for the clients) and DH works from home.

georgiegirl
04-05-2018, 03:11 PM
I guess you could keep it unplugged unless it’s streaming music. There’s a mic mute button that turns off the microphone (and I assume the listening part). Not sure if that would allay his fears.

Philly Mom
04-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Sonos works like that. You can use Pandora or Spotify on your sonos. We love it.

candaceb
04-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Basically because we are uncomfortable with a device listening in all the time... DH is an accountant and deals with a lot of credit card numbers and bank account information for his clients, so we are concerned it might be a security risk (for the clients) and DH works from home.
Just use the mute button whenever you're not using the dot. Or the echo tap requires pushing a button to activate and it has a better speaker built in.

AnnieW625
04-05-2018, 10:53 PM
I bought this ihome speaker to use at my desk and I am very happy with it; I have to turn my iPhone volume down low as well so it is very nice speaker. I have unlimited data and stream from Amazon Prime music and Pandora with no issues. I bought this at Target.
https://www.ihomeaudio.com/iBT370GB/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
04-05-2018, 11:12 PM
OP, this won't help you because you use Amazon Music, but I'm posting for others whom it might help. Spotify has a device called Mighty that is what you're describing. It streams Spotify playlists. I don't have one, but they seem cool. They look similar to iPod Shuffles. I really feel like Spotify knew Apple was ditching shuffles and swooped in.
https://bemighty.com