PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl or linoleum flooring for attic or basement bathroom?

twowhat?
04-08-2018, 03:38 PM
We're adding a bathroom in our attic addition and our contractor recommended vinyl for its cost and lighter weight, which makes sense to me. The idea of vinyl sheeting (like linoleum) is kind of attractive - since the bathroom is small we could potentially have no seams, and all edges would be hidden under the baseboards since it would be a new install.

I also know there are vinyl tile options.

I'm thinking along the same lines for the shower - I wonder if there's a way to get a seamless shower enclosure instead of doing what we originally thought (basic white subway tile).

Has anyone done this for an attic or basement addition?

marinkitty
04-08-2018, 05:42 PM
We are about to lay vinyl tiles in our basement reno. But they are interlocking planks that are wood-like, just made of vinyl, so they will have seams and can be taken up individually if needed in the future, so it doesn't sound like the same thing.

Peaches Keane
04-09-2018, 09:54 AM
I have sheet flooring in my bathrooms (not sure of the exact type). Mine is one big sheet, not “planks”. My home was built rather cheaply, and I’m sure corners were cut. Just make sure that the edges are sealed really good. In my home, water has seeped under in the corner near the wall by the shower and around the toilet. It is discolored, I’m guessing because mold has formed underneath. If possible, I would also recommend the subfloor be waterproofed.

ETA: they do make seamless shower enclosures.

legaleagle
04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
My mom has some sort of seamless solid surface shower with a glass door - it looks really nice and is incredibly easy to clean. I plan on getting the same when we get around to finishing our basement bathroom, I hate grout with a passion.