PDA

View Full Version : Frozen food snacks kids can reheat?

hillview
04-08-2018, 04:32 PM
DS1 is going through a growth spurt. He is 12. We don't have anything snackable in the freezer and I was looking to try a few things. Any ideas? Bonus if available at Trader Joe's or Wegman's. So far we tried Wegman's frozen pizza but that requires an oven (and preheating).

georgiegirl
04-08-2018, 04:43 PM
My kids like those “healthy” muffins from Costco. They go in the microwave for 30 seconds.

http://www.gardenlites.com/products/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ang79
04-08-2018, 04:46 PM
DS1 is going through a growth spurt. He is 12. We don't have anything snackable in the freezer and I was looking to try a few things. Any ideas? Bonus if available at Trader Joe's or Wegman's. So far we tried Wegman's frozen pizza but that requires an oven (and preheating).

Can the pizza go in a toaster oven? I don't like my 11 yr. old to use the big oven when I'm not around, but she makes toast, bagels, cheese toast, etc. in the toaster oven on her own. She also likes to just eat cut up fruit (she uses an apple slicer) or makes yogurt parfaits with either fresh or frozen berries, plain yogurt, and granola.

You could also do frozen breakfast foods, ether home made or store bought, like pancakes, waffles, french toast. These can be warmed up in the microwave, a toaster oven, or a pop up toaster.

My girls also make mini pizzas in the toaster oven (use an English muffin or half of a hamburger/hotdog roll as the crust, put spaghetti sauce, cheese, and toppings on and toast til the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted).

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Welcome to my world.

If Wegman's sells this brand- Good Food Made Simple- it's our favorite frozen food. I buy it at Target. We don't have Wegman's.

At TJ's, I buy for my hungry teen:
frozen mac and cheese
frozen pepperoni pizza mac and cheese
frozen Indian things- he especially likes the one that's like a somasa Hot Pocket
mini chicken tacos
frozen quesadilla
pizzas (he uses the toaster oven)
puff pastry dogs
mozzarella sticks

georgiegirl
04-08-2018, 05:16 PM
DD (12) likes the individual packs of Mac and cheese. TJs stopped carrying them, but we’ve started buying Annie’s. Just nuke the noodles with water for 3 min and add the cheese powder and mix. She also makes toaster oven pizzas...the individual ones (bambino) from TJs.

marinkitty
04-08-2018, 05:46 PM
I do let my 12 and ups use the oven and stove, but as far as microwaveable things -

TJ's chana
TJ's green chicken chili burritos
TJ's giant white beans in tomato sauce (not frozen,canned)
TJ's chicken potstickers and edamame
WF's frozen pasta meals (these can be done in a skillet or in a glass dish in the microwave)

JBaxter
04-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Hot pockets , pizza rolls, stoffer's frozen mac & cheese and those types of things. Frozen burritos are a snack hit here before soccer. Oh I never pre heat I just put it in and add a minute.

dhano923
04-08-2018, 07:13 PM
We usually have some or all of the following in our freezers for my kids after school snacks:
French bread pizza - we get the ones from Costco but Stoufers are fine too
Frozen burritos
TJs frozen mini tacos and taquitos
White Castle cheeseburgers (much cheaper to buy the big box than the small box)

My kids usually do fruit and a slice of toast with PB or Nutella for snack, heat up 4-5 mini tacos, or make a smoothie, but the bigger frozen items are for when they are really hungry.

AngB
04-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Not for warm up but my 5 yo snacks on an uncrustable most days between lunch and dinner. He won't eat regular PBJ sandwiches. While his brother, on the flipside, only eats PBJ and won't eat uncrustables. :6:

pakin
04-08-2018, 08:33 PM
We like frozen Chinese food from Trader Joe's.
Steamed chicken soup dumplings are pretty good. http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2016/01/trader-joes-steamed-chicken-soup_28.html
My DD loves the Chinese style pork buns. http://www.traderjoesreviews.com/product/trader-joes-cha-siu-bao-chinese-style-pork-buns-reviews/

Pakin

essnce629
04-08-2018, 10:27 PM
DS1 is 14 and can't have gluten. He usually snacks on Trader Joe's cheddar cheese sticks, Chomps meat sticks, chicken wings, salami, and bratwurst sausages. We have an air fryer and every week I cook a batch of chicken wings and bratwursts and he eats them cold for lunch or after school.

klwa
04-09-2018, 09:12 AM
One of DS's favorite freezer foods is the pancake and sausage on a stick. Don't know if they carry them at TJs though. 1 minute in the microwave & they're done. He also likes the microwavable Mac & cheese cups mentioned above.

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Adding frozen waffles. :)

JustMe
04-09-2018, 08:02 PM
TJ's has burritos and some other mexican food type frozen meals. They also have other things like spring rolls...I don't eat them, but my kids do and eat them from the microwave.

DualvansMommy
04-09-2018, 09:25 PM
my girlfriend who lives near a Wegmans buys the following for her MS/HS kids:

toting's pizza rolls,
Wegmans brand of Pierogies (it's usually cooked on stove or oven but she cooks whole bag sunday night and keep in fridge) kids can get as many they want and reheat.
Wegmans asian vegetable potstickers (microwavable)
fixings for filling sandwich with fresh loafs from Wegmans.

quite fair bit of their frozen appetizers are cooked by way on stove or oven. so maybe invest in a toaster oven if you don't have one? My girlfriend did and that's how her kids fed themselves after school and on weekends that way.

urquie
04-09-2018, 09:44 PM
My kids like those “healthy” muffins from Costco. They go in the microwave for 30 seconds.
http://www.gardenlites.com/products/

Could you please tell me where these would be located at Costco?

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2018, 09:51 PM

I’ve only ever buy the veggie ones. I’m the only who likes them but they’re delicious. They are in the refrigerated section not freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
04-09-2018, 11:03 PM

The veggie ones are refrigerated (they aren’t as muffin-like), but the sweeter ones are in the freezer section (not too far from appetizers, breakfast, and dessert....at least in our store.). Ours has chocolate, chocolate chip, and blueberry oat. On occasion they will demo a bunch of flavors at once and have them all for sale.

smiles33
04-09-2018, 11:28 PM
We like the simple frozen chicken sandwiches at Costco. Unlike other frozen sandwiches, the bread is actually "spongy" when you microwave it (rather than a soggy mess). They come plain, so each DD can customize as they wish (e.g., one likes mustard, one doesn't).

baymom
04-10-2018, 02:59 AM
My 13 year old likes to make himself scrambled eggs & toast or pasta after school. It’s not as easy or quick as microwaving, but he likes those things so he makes it.

baymom
04-10-2018, 02:59 AM
My 13 year old likes to make himself scrambled eggs & toast or pasta after school. It’s not as easy or quick as microwaving, but he likes those things so he makes it.

Kindra178
04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
My almost 12 year old is starving after school. He will reheat tortellini (already made), make a toaster grilled cheese and add turkey or microwave a tj burrito.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

elbenn
04-10-2018, 10:48 PM
I recently picked this up at the grocery store to try as a quick lunch and it is delicious. Goes in the microwave for a couple minutes and it's ready. It's $4 for a box, which contains two omelettes. I wish they would sell a box of this type of thing at Costco because this would make a great snack. https://www.atkins.com/products/frozen-meals/breakfast-bowls/ham-cheese-omelet

magnoliaparadise
04-11-2018, 01:53 AM
My kids love Amy's frozen burritos. They come in many different flavors - they only seem to like the cheddar cheese one with the red package.

urquie
04-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I’ve only ever buy the veggie ones. I’m the only who likes them but they’re delicious. They are in the refrigerated section not freezer.

The veggie ones are refrigerated (they aren’t as muffin-like), but the sweeter ones are in the freezer section (not too far from appetizers, breakfast, and dessert....at least in our store.). Ours has chocolate, chocolate chip, and blueberry oat. On occasion they will demo a bunch of flavors at once and have them all for sale.

Thank you so much for the info!

elbenn
04-11-2018, 05:18 PM
I thought of another item that hasn't yet been suggested--Marie Callender's chicken pot pies. Costco sells them by the box. They are fairly nutritious (I mean they're pot pies but they do have some vegetables and 16 grams of protein) and easy to heat up.

HannaAddict
04-12-2018, 02:26 AM
My 14 yo who can eat you out of house and home really likes TJ Indian food dinners for snacks. They have less calories and seen a little healthier than some other frozen meal options and seem to slow him down. My kids also all love veggies and fruits and we go through a couple pounds of cherry tomatoes per day and several cucumbers and tons of carrots, organic.