PDA

View Full Version : Teens Volunteering During the Summer

Soccermomm
04-10-2018, 12:27 PM
I am trying to find ways my teen (14 year old boy) can volunteer this summer. I am open to any ideas. TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
We aren't religious but our local church has a wonderful youth program and they offer a teen service week. Through that, he worked with Habitat For Humanity and several local non profits. He especially liked Habitat for Humanity and would gladly do that again.

You can also look at local libraries and parks and rec departments. Our local library is especially welcoming of teen volunteers.

squimp
04-10-2018, 12:53 PM
My 14-yo volunteered through our Parks and Rec department, they have a Youth Volunteer Corps that does camps all summer. They help out with restoration projects, food banks, community gardens, the Humane Society, beach cleanups. She has done it for several summers and it's really good experience, especially for a kid who wants for nothing, because they get exposed to a number of different issues.

She also worked at the Special Olympics state competition last summer, and was a volunteer track coach with the Boys and Girls club for the K-1 program. Our town also has volunteer programs through the animal shelter and the library. You might ask at the high school, I think ours requires a certain number of volunteer hours, so they have resources.

Her middle school participates in the Presidential volunteer awards program and she has worked enough hours this year to receive a bronze or silver award (50+). Last year she probably could have received a gold award but we didn't know about the program.
https://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/

lmwbasye
04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
My teen volunteers for a week at Vacation Bible School. He loves it and they love having the teens help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsis
04-13-2018, 01:17 AM
My teen volunteers for a week at Vacation Bible School. He loves it and they love having the teens help out.
I was just going to say this. My kids used to go to VBS at 2-3 churches every summer. As they age out of it, they love volunteering on those same churches' VBS.

niccig
04-13-2018, 02:02 AM
DS goes to a summer camp where you can be a counselor in training. He’s going to do that next summer when he’s old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
04-13-2018, 06:10 AM
Mine volunteers at the library. He dusts shelves, helps label and organize books for the youth summer ready program and then helps sell the prize books at that program.

klwa
04-13-2018, 06:42 AM
I believe the animal shelter near us accepts teens to help with walking the animals. Maybe look into that?