PDA

View Full Version : what to expect from a job interview?

DualvansMommy
04-12-2018, 11:16 AM
It's been about 15 years since my last professional interview for a position. I know the general gist but I'm rusty on the details;

could any of you tell me? and what is appropriate to ask/discuss during interview portion and what stuff is best to be discussed till AFTER the interview? I know generally speaking, the more you know about the position you're applying for and the company the better it is, but beyond that that's where I'm rusty. Faux paus to discuss salary during interview? or is that after? etc. gosh I'm getting old! cuz I honestly can't remember what order my last interview with a job offer details came out.

hillview
04-12-2018, 05:13 PM
welp here is my 2 cents (as I just had an interview today!). First interview the ENTIRE goal is to get to the next step. You should not raise salary but you should be prepared to answer salary questions (what are you paid now, what are your pay expectations, what was your last salary). Research and come up with your questions. Smile. Be a good listener. Wear something you feel great in and is not noisy/distracting/uncomfortable. Visualize doing well before hand. You got this!

daisyd
04-12-2018, 08:11 PM
So the first round of interviews for me were over the phone. I had questions about myself, my experience, why I was job hunting now, what kind of jobs would interest me (this was by recruiter). On phone interviews directly by the organization, I learned about the position, expectations. I asked about flexibility, benefits etc.

I did bring up pay in my first in person interview yesterday as I wanted a loose comparison point for 2 other positions that I'm considering and I'm further along in the interview process with these other positions. It was helpful for me to figure out the elimination process.

Good luck on your job hunt!