PDA

View Full Version : If your child plays Little League baseball...

sf333
04-12-2018, 12:59 PM
How many practices do they have each week?

DS1 (who turns 10 this month) was planning on playing in the minors division until we found out the coach intends to hold practice every day they don't have a game (so 6 days a week of baseball). For our family, this is not feasible, nor do I feel that's appropriate given his age. When I spoke to the league about it, I was told that we could skip practices if need be but the coach intends to keep to that schedule. DS has played baseball since t-ball and I'm disappointed that he won't be able to this year.

Just curious if this is totally out of the ordinary or not. I've spoken with friends in our state and in another and they all think it sounds crazy. I should also note that the majors team has 3 days total of baseball (including games) so it seems particularly extreme that a minor has double that.

liz
04-12-2018, 01:04 PM
DS who is in majors has 2 practices and 2 games a week. My youngest is in farm and they will have practice 2 times a week and 1-2 games a week.

chottumommy
04-12-2018, 01:18 PM
DS1 who is 9 has total of 5 a week (3 practices + 2 games) for minors. All practices and games are at the same time - 5:30. His coach is really good and DS enjoys it so I don't mind. He's also had the same coach and same time since T-ball so we know all the families. I drop him for both practices and games and if I have time I watch the game. DH goes to the games after work if he can but DS doesn't seem to care. He is very motivated and creates the calendar for his events/practices and also makes it to his music, swim and robotics team all of which happen after school.

Most of DS's other friends in minors have the same schedule - maybe a practice less on days the coach is busy.

bigsis
04-13-2018, 01:11 AM
My 12yo DS is in the majors. He practices 2x a week and has games 2x a week--so total of 4 days. 6 days is a lot, it totally depends on the coach. Some coaches are just more rigorous than others.

BunnyBee
04-13-2018, 10:13 AM
There used to be Little League rules on maximum hours per week. When our league followed Little League, it was a max of 2 practices per week with 2 hours max per practice. Maybe that was a league rule? Ours (then and now because they're trying to fit as many teams as possible into the existing spaces) typically has 3 events per week in the older groups, usually 2 games and one practice by this point in the year. Two events per week in the younger groups, and practices and games are shorter.

Every single day is nuts.

bnme
04-13-2018, 11:34 AM
We had 2 games and 2 practices for majors, maybe an additional randomly. I would say no more then 4 days total in minors. Seems excessive if not “travel” type team. I wonder if the coach expects them to show up at all of them, or does it because he knows some kids might not be able to make it if he only had one per week. I also find that they often have more per week when the season is just starting, but then it dies down until play offs.

Kindra178
04-13-2018, 02:56 PM
2-3 practices a week, 2 games a week, for both majors and minors. I believe that if our area didn’t have field space issues, there would absolutely be more practices. Summer baseball has practice every day there isn’t a game.

I will say that baseball is a hard sport to learn. So many rules and different skills - I get the need for many practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
04-13-2018, 03:04 PM
We play U10 travel soccer and U15 travel . Neither one has that many practices u10 club soccer does 2 practice plus one or 2 games on the weekend. U15 does 3 practices and a game or 2 or tournaments

AngB
04-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Is there an option for baseball leagues that aren't Little League?
Our area doesn't have an official Little League as far as I know. There are many many many "athletic associations" where there are baseball leagues and typically the practices are once or twice a week, games once or twice a week, it's more recreational (most teams don't have tryouts , etc.) That seems like it would be a better fit then no baseball at all.

I played competitive softball and had a schedule like that through middle school and high school (I was a pitcher and had pitching lessons 2x a week although not during the season, plus batting cage time), I would not have been willing to do it in elementary school age and I don't agree with playing 6 out of 7 days a week for kids that young. That sounds like a breeding ground for injuries and burn out.

hillview
04-13-2018, 06:15 PM
DS2 is 10 and has practice 2x a week and a game once a week. That sounds crazy.

1mom2dylan
04-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Is it possible that practices are held on all of those days, but coach doesn’t expect the kids to attend all practices? Like, just show up whichever 3 days work best for you?

squimp
04-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Is it possible that practices are held on all of those days, but coach doesn’t expect the kids to attend all practices? Like, just show up whichever 3 days work best for you?

Yes I was wondering this too. Could you ask the coach? It really does seem unreasonable, and definitely out of whack with my teen's club sports.

mom2binsd
04-13-2018, 07:21 PM
The travel teams here don't practice that much. Seems excessive. Are there other options.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hellokitty
04-14-2018, 04:00 PM
It depends on how rabid the coach is. We've been all over the board. I would say that your example is on the more extreme side of things, but we've had plenty of, "rabid" coaches that add on last minute practices w/o batting an eye, and it comes out close to practice everyday, except for game days. It gets even worse with travel baseball.

ezcc
04-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Hmm my ds is a pretty serious baseball player and has never had practice more than 1/2 times a week (until he started playing for his high school team). That seems pretty unreasonable for a 10 year old.

jenstring95
04-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Here there is a limit of three things per week. It can be two practices and a game, two games and a practice, or any combo that doesn't go above three. Six gives zero time for any other activity! I think it's horrible how kids are supposed to be pigeonholed into a single sport at such a young age (often much younger than 10). What happened to sports actually having seasons instead of being nearly year-round?

khalloc
04-16-2018, 01:11 PM
My DS is 10 and last year he played in Minors. It was kid-pitch. They had 3 games a week and very rarely had a practice. Maybe 1x a week after games started. This year DS is not playing because he would rather do soccer.

sf333
04-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear that a lot of you think it’s crazy too! Unfortunately, I spoke with the league president and they will not restrict the coach, the schedule is up to his discretion.

As far as attending only some practices go, I asked him directly about this and he said he feels strongly that the kids need lots of practice to foster teamwork and skills. He also mentioned wanted to “keep the baseball dream going” so....a little much for me.

We live in a rural area so there aren’t many options. I was disappointed the league didn’t step in.