PDA

View Full Version : Camp invention

DualvansMommy
04-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Have you send your kids to your local camp invention? How did they like it? Ds1 wants to do one week of science camp and I found two different places that offer one this summer. 1st is at our local community college and 2nd is camp invention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chemnerd
04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
My son did it last summer (he was 7). He went with his cousin and they loved it. They built lots of different items, some more technical than others (his favorite was a bubble gun that they made from a kit).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

scrooks
04-12-2018, 01:52 PM
My older 2 kids both did it at different times. They thought it was ok. Both commented that it was kind of school like...I think the projects they did were pretty cool. Ds1 built a robotic dog last year.

vonfirmath
04-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Have you send your kids to your local camp invention? How did they like it? Ds1 wants to do one week of science camp and I found two different places that offer one this summer. 1st is at our local community college and 2nd is camp invention.

My kids went last year and are going back this year.

My daughter still has the robot she built in her room, though as far as I know she doens't play with it. She does not want to get rid of it though.

IansMom
04-12-2018, 02:31 PM
ODS (now 9) went in 2016. He was neutral about it. He didn’t want to go last year but when he saw the flyer for the activities this year, he asked to go back (he likes the robotic dog). I thought some of the modules were
better than others (I think they do four each summer). I think it depends on your location also. I think some are run better than others.

Snow mom
04-12-2018, 03:14 PM
We are considering this camp this summer. AFAIK it's the first year that it is being offered at our location so I read a ton of reviews on the FB site. It seems like the quality of the camp is highly location specific. There were lots of rave reviews and lots of 1 star reviews. My DD needs camp to be highly supervised/structured because she gets very worked up about other kids not behaving as they should. It does sound like at some locations there are fewer projects and poor supervision by teens, but it's a bit of a dice roll on which locations those are. I think she would enjoy it as it is described in their promotional material.

Pear
04-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Dd has attended multiple times. She absolutely loves it.

KrisM
04-12-2018, 11:09 PM
DS1 went for the first time in 2nd grade. He's in 8th now and is signed up for his 3rd year as a Counselor in Training. DD went 4 times and is a CIT this summer as well. DS2 has also gone 4 times and is heading back.

My kids love it. There is a good mix of learning, fun, and friends.

Our location has always had enough teachers running the various activities with counselors (high school kids) helping the teachers and the CITs helping the kids as well.

boilermakermom
04-13-2018, 07:16 AM
DD went two years ago, and enjoyed it. She is contemplating going back this summer, but did mention it very similar to science rotations during school.

Percycat
04-13-2018, 04:13 PM
I think this is going to be very location specific. I understand Camp Invention has a standard camp curriculum, but local directors and staff run the show. Do you know anyone who has attended your location in the past? My nephew went to one in my community. At the end of the week, I attended his parent presentation and there were at least two families who mentioned they drove their child an hour each way(!!!!) to come to our location and we have several locations in our metropolitan area.