PDA

View Full Version : Want to hire a homework helper and light housekeeper - questions

TwoBees
04-12-2018, 03:13 PM
I am looking to hire someone to come 3 days a week to do some light housekeeping, get DD1 off the bus, and help her with homework (not tutoring, but a study buddy to keep her on task). Any idea what I should offer for pay? I know this will vary based on cost of living in different areas, but I need a place to start. We pay our babysitter $15/hr, and I give her the same rate if she is watching one DD or both. The new housekeeper/babysitter/study buddy would ideally do housework for 2 hours before meeting the bus, and then work with DD/babysit for the remaining 2 hours. Is $15 a good place to start or do I need to go higher?

Also, any suggestions for what to ask in my initial interviews?

Thanks!

hillview
04-12-2018, 05:09 PM
For me the babystiting rate is the same as what you are looking for. Here that is 15-22 per hour. Good luck! My experience is start with written expectations so everyone is clear and DC has to be bought in to the study buddy.

TwinFoxes
04-12-2018, 05:14 PM
I think the housework might make it tricky. What kind are you talking about? I just wonder if you can get someone to do two hours of housework for $30.

TwoBees
04-12-2018, 05:54 PM
I think the housework might make it tricky. What kind are you talking about? I just wonder if you can get someone to do two hours of housework for $30.

Laundry folding (maybe running the wash in the future but we’ll see as I’m particular about how it’s done), loading and unloading the dishwasher, sweep/vacuum the kitchen from the breakfast crumbs, wipe down the kitchen counter and table, maybe some dusting or general putting away but the dishes and laundry are the big things.

Octobermommy
04-12-2018, 06:03 PM
I would say $20 an hour for cleaning & $15 an hour for the study buddy

magnoliaparadise
04-13-2018, 12:47 AM
I would say $20 an hour for cleaning & $15 an hour for the study buddy

I agree, or whatever the amount would be in your area, I think that ratio is good. Your light house keeping sounds pretty close to a cleaning lady, and cleaning ladies get more. Washing/folding/dishes, all those things are easier than deep cleaning, but at least half the amount of time, and probably more, of what would be a cleaning lady's work anyway.

marinkitty
04-13-2018, 09:10 AM
I have a part-time household assistant who does all of the following as needed (changes day to day, week to week): meal prep (including cleanup of kitchen/dishes), grocery shopping, empting dishwasher, washing/folding laundry, taking out recycling/garbage, getting the cars washed/oil changed, taking kids anywhere they need to go, organizing things in our house, sewing things (she just loves to sew so I have had her help DD with things and right now she is altering some curtains for me), droping off/picking up drycleaning etc. When I hired her she had experience as a nanny and au pair, she is an accomplished cook (I meal plan but she often does all the prep and really likes trying new recipes so she has ended up cooking more than I thought she would when I hired her). I had planned on her being a study buddy as well (she has a college degree), but that part didn't really pan out - my kids are either too independent or they were resistant to working with her, so I just let that part go as now I'm freed up to really focus on that when they need homework help. I pay her $20 cash plus an $80 driving stipend monthly because she uses her own car most of the time and commutes up from the city. I think when you want only part time help, that often comes at a price premium. I'd actually pay more if I needed to, because someone as flexible as this, willing to pitch in with whatever is needed and good at most of it is hard to come by.

magnoliaparadise
04-13-2018, 09:14 AM
I have a part-time household assistant who does all of the following as needed (changes day to day, week to week): meal prep (including cleanup of kitchen/dishes), grocery shopping, empting dishwasher, washing/folding laundry, taking out recycling/garbage, getting the cars washed/oil changed, taking kids anywhere they need to go, organizing things in our house, sewing things (she just loves to sew so I have had her help DD with things and right now she is altering some curtains for me), droping off/picking up drycleaning etc. When I hired her she had experience as a nanny and au pair, she is an accomplished cook (I meal plan but she often does all the prep and really likes trying new recipes so she has ended up cooking more than I thought she would when I hired her). I had planned on her being a study buddy as well (she has a college degree), but that part didn't really pan out - my kids are either too independent or they were resistant to working with her, so I just let that part go as now I'm freed up to really focus on that when they need homework help. I pay her $20 cash plus an $80 driving stipend monthly because she uses her own car most of the time and commutes up from the city. I think when you want only part time help, that often comes at a price premium. I'd actually pay more if I needed to, because someone as flexible as this, willing to pitch in with whatever is needed and good at most of it is hard to come by.

Ohhh wow, this person sounds amazing!!