PDA

View Full Version : Buying a play set for a 7 year old?

smilequeen
04-15-2018, 12:59 PM
So we moved in July 2016 and our old house had a Cedarworks playset that had already been moved once (and was not likely to do incredibly well with a second move), so we did not move it. We have a pool and plenty of outdoor toys but my youngest constantly laments his old playset and is begging for one. I’d like wood and something sturdy enough to last with bigger kids using it. We have the space and budget but I’m not sure what would be best. We loved the Cedarworks but we did design it for younger kids (bought it when DS1 was 18 months old).

What would you do for older kid (7, 10, and 13...I’m sure if it’s there, they will all use it, but the 7 year old mostly)? I know he’s dying for monkey bars.

nfceagles
04-15-2018, 01:08 PM
I wouldn’t spend much honestly. My 9 and 12 year old barely touch ours and we’ve been considering removing it for a while now.

Maybe something from a Costco or Sams Club would make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
04-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Following....
I saw a great one the other day house hunting but forgot to look at the brand/type.

mom2binsd
04-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Check your Nextdoor app if you have it, I see them all the time, especially at this time of year.

MommyAllison
04-15-2018, 04:46 PM
My parents have a playset, and with the older kids, the tire swing definitely gets the most play. They use the regular swings too, but the rest of it goes untouched by the kids ages 9 and up.

khm
04-15-2018, 04:55 PM
So we moved in July 2016 and our old house had a Cedarworks playset that had already been moved once (and was not likely to do incredibly well with a second move), so we did not move it. We have a pool and plenty of outdoor toys but my youngest constantly laments his old playset and is begging for one. I’d like wood and something sturdy enough to last with bigger kids using it. We have the space and budget but I’m not sure what would be best. We loved the Cedarworks but we did design it for younger kids (bought it when DS1 was 18 months old).

What would you do for older kid (7, 10, and 13...I’m sure if it’s there, they will all use it, but the 7 year old mostly)? I know he’s dying for monkey bars.

I'd probably focus on just one of those simple sets that is a monkey bar and has a couple swings on one rail.

Or, go whole hog with a monkey bar / backyard parkour set that will appeal to them all.

I wouldn't personally bother with a playset geared for little kids, but YYMV.

Pinterest has a ton of options to browse.

mom2224
04-15-2018, 05:19 PM
We have 4 boys ages 3-11 and have loved our playset from Triumph. They are a great family business. No maintenance! The sets are made of White Cedar and do not need staining or sealing. The owner helped me design the most awesome set for us- monkey bars, 4 station swings, rings, tire swing, 2 climbing towers with a bridge, 2 slides, a tube... It is awesome. $$$, but worth it.
http://www.triumphplaysystems.com

Kindra178
04-15-2018, 05:29 PM
My 9 year olds would use a playset if we had it. They would swing and climb. In addition, they would definitely “snipe” from any kind of elevated “playhouse” structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hbridge
04-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Honestly, with that age range, I would try to find something other than a playset for your 7y.o. When DC was little, we looked at playsets, but ultimately decided to go in other directions. DC's favorite was a peg swing suspended from a tree :)! We invested in tree swings, scooters, bikes, ect. and went to the playground A LOT!! If you already have a pool and plenty of space, see if you can get him interested in something he can grow into. We have one neighbor with a simple "zip line", another with a rope course, and a third with a Quiddich Pitch! He may be set on the monkey bars, but if there is a playground that has the really long monkey bars, you may be able to negotiate (and go to the playground A LOT for awhile).

Of course, if you have the money and think he will use it often or he needs a sensory break that a playset will bring, definitely go for it. :)

Charlie
04-15-2018, 05:38 PM
What about just getting something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Climber-Center-Earthtone/dp/B004K0Q8LG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523828195&sr=8-4&keywords=monkey+bars+playground+equipment&dpID=51ykKyl0sqL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

KrisM
04-15-2018, 07:36 PM
We have a Rainbow set we bought in 2006. It's still use fairly often by my kids. The youngest turns 10 this summer. They do swing still, even the 14 year old. The tire swing gets used a lot. They put a hose on the slide and go flying off the end in swimsuits. It's a homebase for Nerf battles. Sometimes it's just a nice place to sit and read a book outside.

I might not spend a ton on one for a 7 year old but I think you have a good 5 years of use left in it.

MSWR0319
04-15-2018, 08:02 PM
We have a 9 and 5 year old. We had a similar issue when we moved a year ago and ended up buying a huge one. It's got a fort area with an additional look out above that, monkey bars, big slide, 3 swings, and a buoy ball. I was nervous it was just going to sit there, but the whole neighborhood is on it constantly.

DualvansMommy
04-15-2018, 08:10 PM
We have a 9 and 5 year old. We had a similar issue when we moved a year ago and ended up buying a huge one. It's got a fort area with an additional look out above that, monkey bars, big slide, 3 swings, and a buoy ball. I was nervous it was just going to sit there, but the whole neighborhood is on it constantly.

Could you PM me the brand and type of set you have? That sounds really awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mackmama
04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure I'd do it for that age. We just removed our playset for our 7yo DC. I'd focus on biking, scooters, a tree swing, roller-skates, zip line, or a slackline set.

If you do get a playset, I'd get a minimal one with swings and monkey bars.

georgiegirl
04-15-2018, 09:11 PM
My 8.5 year old and his friends play on the play set all the time. Swings, trapeze, rock wall, fort. Even my 12 year old and her friends will swing.

elizamom
04-16-2018, 11:06 AM
We went through this issue and decided to buy a trampoline. It has been a HUGE success.

khalloc
04-16-2018, 01:28 PM
My 9 year old and 11 year old didnt touch ours all summer last year. We are going to sell it this year. I probably wouldnt purchase one for a 7 year old. or at least not a really expensive one.

MMMommy
04-16-2018, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't get a playset for a 7 year old. I think he would age out of it too quickly for the cost, size and hassle of putting one in.

azzeps
04-17-2018, 11:36 AM
I know some people are against trampolines due to the injury risks, but my SIL & BIL have one and every second we were at their house for a week last summer, the kids were all out there bouncing on it! They LOVED it. If I had a flat yard, I'd look at getting one. Recently a blogger I follow installed an in-ground trampoline, which seemed a little safer than the ones on stilts. Good luck! hope you find something fun!

elbenn
04-18-2018, 11:38 PM
These web swings look fun. Maybe something that would accommodate this type of swing?

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-N-Slide-WS-3050-Monster-Swing/dp/B00GV8PCNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524109035&sr=8-1&keywords=B00076OC88%7CB00076OC8S%7CB0009HH65G%7CB0 00SZQITE%7CB004YK6OJ8%7CB007LWI06Q%7CB00GV8PCNU%7C B00HZNT0PQ%7CB00KJH96ZY%7CB00V036UGY%7CB00V036WRQ% 7CB00V036X2A