PDA

View Full Version : Bosch dishwasher owners - Help!

Ms B
04-19-2018, 12:18 PM
I have an 11 year old Bosch dishwasher from the old 600 series. I liked it a lot, but it has issues that will cost $530 to repair . . . and that is the point where it gets replaced.

I looked at the various models for the new Bosch products and have three questions/concerns that I am hoping that someone here can help with:

1. Do all of the new Bosch dishwashers come with silverware racks that go on one side of the tub (as opposed to in the middle)? If so, can you place them in the middle so that so have flexibility? If you cannot move them, does your silverware get clean?

2. What is the deal with the third rack? Is it removable if you have tall glasses to go in the second rack (something that I have regularly)?

3. We cook at home a lot and that means lots of cutting boards, some of them big. Can you fit a 17 by 14 cutting board in the machine? Our current model can hold one that size on the left size without removing the upper rack, plus a smaller one (probably 17 by 13) next to it, and we have that dish scenario all the time.

I do plan to take a cutting board, a 9x13 cake pan, and a couple plates to a store to see on my way home from work tonight, but I would fell better with real world info from people that I know have given these machines a workout!

TIA!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Can’t help on most but our Bosch has the silverware on the right. I’d hate it in the middle! It would really impact effective loading for me. Not an issue with cleaning.
Ours only has 2 racks. We just barely clear the top with some cups I put on the top rack so I’m personally better off with just 2. Sometimes the 3rd could be useful though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendibird22
04-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Ours the silverware is off to the right in a long basket that's actually 2 pieces that separate and reconfigure. I would assume you could place them together or separately anywhere but haven't tried that. Our top rack has a small fold down rack on each side. Both are removable. One is configured to hold the stems of your wineglasses but we hand wash ours so we removed that. The other is for larger serving silverware pieces and we use that. The top rack adjusts up/down so you can fit tall things on the bottom but then I'd assume you might have trouble with your taller glasses depending on how tall they are.

mom2khj
04-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Ours the silverware is off to the right in a long basket that's actually 2 pieces that separate and reconfigure. I would assume you could place them together or separately anywhere but haven't tried that. Our top rack has a small fold down rack on each side. Both are removable. One is configured to hold the stems of your wineglasses but we hand wash ours so we removed that. The other is for larger serving silverware pieces and we use that. The top rack adjusts up/down so you can fit tall things on the bottom but then I'd assume you might have trouble with your taller glasses depending on how tall they are.

I can't answer the size issues, as I'm not at home to measure. Our silverware baskets are the same as described here I think, for some reason I'm thinking they might be three pieces? I haven't ever used them though, so I'm not positive. I don't see why you couldn't place them wherever they'd fit, assuming they'd fit in the middle? I keep ours in a cabinet and haven't looked at them since the day we got the washer, so I'm really just unhelpfully guessing, LOL. We only use the third rack for silverware. On ours the middle rack lowers to allow for taller items; but of course that does reduce how tall your bottom rack items can be. It's very easy to raise and lower though (if you needed to do it frequently). We keep ours on the lower setting, we never have anything tall enough to need to raise it.

I think you could take off the top rack, if needed. My mom somehow always manages to knock it off the track, something I've never done, and I have to remove it and put it back on. Don't see why it couldn't just be left off for a cycle.

RedSuedeShoes
04-19-2018, 01:45 PM
I love having the silverware rack on the right. They mostly get clean, but sometimes not if the rack is really crowded. I love the third rack and have rarely had an issue with things not fitting underneath it. But I always wash wineglasses by hand. My biggest cutting board is only 16x12 but I just tried it all the way to the left and I think I could fit one 2" wider over there. The spinning arm (I'm sure there's another name for that!) underneath the top rack doesn't reach over that far and it should be able to fit beside the bottom of the top rack since it doesn't extend all the way to the wall. So I *think* it would work.

bisous
04-19-2018, 01:45 PM
We have a mid level Bosch and don't have a top rack. I think it runs wonderfully. I don't think that it is configured particularly well. The reviews on amazon of our version complain about fitting the precise items that you mention--cutting boards, 9x13 pans, etc. It works well for plates, bowls, silverware, cups, etc. but the big stuff is kinda tricky. Anyone else notice this?

essnce629
04-19-2018, 01:51 PM
I have an 11 year old Bosch dishwasher from the old 600 series. I liked it a lot, but it has issues that will cost $530 to repair . . . and that is the point where it gets replaced.

I looked at the various models for the new Bosch products and have three questions/concerns that I am hoping that someone here can help with:

1. Do all of the new Bosch dishwashers come with silverware racks that go on one side of the tub (as opposed to in the middle)? If so, can you place them in the middle so that so have flexibility? If you cannot move them, does your silverware get clean?

2. What is the deal with the third rack? Is it removable if you have tall glasses to go in the second rack (something that I have regularly)?

3. We cook at home a lot and that means lots of cutting boards, some of them big. Can you fit a 17 by 14 cutting board in the machine? Our current model can hold one that size on the left size without removing the upper rack, plus a smaller one (probably 17 by 13) next to it, and we have that dish scenario all the time.

I do plan to take a cutting board, a 9x13 cake pan, and a couple plates to a store to see on my way home from work tonight, but I would fell better with real world info from people that I know have given these machines a workout!

TIA!!

1. I took out the silverware rack on day 1 and have never used it

2. I LOVE my 3rd rack. Wouldn't buy another dishwasher without one! It's not removable, but the 2nd rack adjusts up and down in 3 positions. How tall are your glasses? My tallest are only 5.75" and fit fine with my 2nd rack on the highest position, which is how I always have it. With the 2nd rack on the lowest position you have about an 8" clearance, but then you don't have a ton of space on the bottom.

3. The biggest cutting board I use daily is 17.5 x 11.5 and fits fine along the sides. I do have a 17x14 cutting board that I rarely use and it just barely fits along the right wall with the 2nd rack in the highest position.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Kindra178
04-19-2018, 02:06 PM
My 2013 Bosch has the silverware rack on the right bottom. I have to say I miss our Miele in our old house with the third rack on top. Although there was a learning curve to loading silverware in that fashion, it really grew on me. You could fit more plates/bowls on the bottom too. I never had a problem with tall glassware or large glass bottles. I would absolutely get the third rack style in the future.

Philly Mom
04-19-2018, 02:16 PM

2. I LOVE my 3rd rack. Wouldn't buy another dishwasher without one! It's not removable, but the 2nd rack adjusts up and down in 3 positions. How tall are your glasses? My tallest are only 5.75" and fit fine with my 2nd rack on the highest position, which is how I always have it. With the 2nd rack on the lowest position you have about an 8" clearance, but then you don't have a ton of space on the bottom.

3. The biggest cutting board I use daily is 17.5 x 11.5 and fits fine along the sides. I do have a 17x14 cutting board that I rarely use and it just barely fits along the right wall with the 2nd rack in the highest position.

I agree with all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

123LuckyMom
04-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Me, too! Exactly! It’s wonderful getting all that extra space on the bottom with the silverware buckets gone! I thought it would be a pain to have to put the silverware in the third rack, but it doesn’t take a second, and I space the different types of silverware out so I can put all the same types next to each other (tea spoons together, big forks together, etc.). It makes unloading so incredibly easy and quick! I have my glasses rack in the second position to accommodate wine glasses, but I can easily move it around if I need to. I LOVE my Bosch!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

daniele_ut
04-20-2018, 01:05 PM
I have a 2 year old Bosch 500 series with the 3rd rack. My silverware basket is on the right. I had a different 500 series in our last house that had a break apart silverware basket in the center and I took the pieces apart and put them on the side so clearly I prefer it off to the side. I will say that I feel like my old Bosch cleaned better than my current one.

I’m not at home right now so i will have to double check but I’m 90% sure that I took out the 3rd rack when I was cleaning the dishwasher recently. I don’t have super tall glasses but they fit fine along the sides of the middle rack.

One regret I have is that i didn’t buy the 800 series with the built in water softener. We have hard water and no whole house water softener so I have to use Lemishine. I’m going to order some bulk citric acid since it will be cheaper.