PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Toss - Appliance Edition

ahisma
04-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Years ago, we bought a "for now" fridge from Lowes. We figured we'd update the kitchen and pick a longer term fridge then, but needed something for the immediate future. It was cheap and utilitarian. About 2 years later it started making a funny noise. We had it checked out and were told it wasn't worth fixing (agreed). Then the noise stopped. It's still going strong. We've yet to make a decision on the kitchen so haven't bothered upgrading as we'd probably make enough changes that we could purchase a larger fridge than is possible now.

Recently, MIL / FIL decided to update their fridge and give us their old one (newer than ours, and definitely an upgrade). DH was into it, and I didn't see any reason not to. DH and his friend got it today, installed it, and put our old one out for pick-up by the gas company.

It turns out that it's been in the garage for the past few weeks and has some mold. Most of the mold is near the bottom, by the doors and fan. It's been cold (Michigan), so I'm puzzled as to how the mold grew. I'm surprised that they stored it with the doors closed (FIL is a retired contractor), but apparently they must have.

DH and I have two very different opinions as to what should be done. MIL / FIL live 5 minutes away.

WWYD? Clean it out, or put it to the curb?

AnnieW625
04-19-2018, 10:44 PM
I would totally clean it out especially if it was free and a better fridge than the one you previously had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
04-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Well, I am very anti-mold and hate battling it. My inclination would be to push the old fridge back into the house, move the "new" one to your current garage and try to assess exactly the extent of the mold. I'd be inclined to keep your old fridge unless it would be a grave offense to your ILs.

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Well, I am very anti-mold and hate battling it. My inclination would be to push the old fridge back into the house, move the "new" one to your current garage and try to assess exactly the extent of the mold. I'd be inclined to keep your old fridge unless it would be a grave offense to your ILs.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

AnnieW625
04-20-2018, 12:03 AM
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-mold-mildew-fridge-24644.html

jgenie
04-20-2018, 03:01 AM
Don’t toss the old fridge yet. Store it in the garage until you are sure you can get rid of the mold on the new fridge. If you can’t remove the mold, toss the new fridge and put the old one back inside.

Snow mom
04-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Don’t toss the old fridge yet. Store it in the garage until you are sure you can get rid of the mold on the new fridge. If you can’t remove the mold, toss the new fridge and put the old one back inside.

I think this is sensible advice. I would put the old fridge back, put the new fridge in the garage. I would certainly try cleaning the new fridge and maybe I'm not correctly picturing the problem but I can't imagine that it can't be cleaned.

robinsmommy
04-20-2018, 10:15 AM
I would be more concerned not that the mold can't be cleaned, but that the smell lingers. Check for that too - it could take a bit of time to resolve.