PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Urgent care for a splinter?

petesgirl
04-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Would it be dumb for me to take DS to urgent care over a splinter in his finger? I've tried tweezers but cant seem to find the end of it and I'm not sure i can get it. I could leave it for a day and see if it works its way out but its pretty big and he is really upset over it.

georgiegirl
04-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Is it hurting a lot? You could put a baking soda paste and a band aid on it and see if it works it’s way out.

I went once for a splinter. It was a fairly big piece of wood (size of a wooden match stick but about 1/2 as thick) lodged in my foot when I was a teenager. They didn’t think I was crazy.

mmsmom
04-21-2018, 02:48 PM
I wouldn’t... there are many home remedies to try first. A bath will soften the skin & maybe make it easier. There is also a salve you can get at the drugstore..it is not prescription but you have to ask for it. Will try to remember the name but you can google it in the meantime.

trcy
04-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Not crazy at all. Much better than going to the ER!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
04-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Hmm...yeah, he says it hurts pretty bad (he is currently screaming bloody murder..ha ha..but im sure he is being overly dramatic). It looks pretty thick but its too deep to tell much.

ezcc
04-21-2018, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't- I would throw him in a bath and see if he calms down/forgets about it. But I don't think they would laugh at you- but it might be more painful to try and get it out if it is that deep.

jgenie
04-21-2018, 04:02 PM
I took DS2 to our pediatrician when he got a big splinter in his foot. It was wedged in pretty deep. I was home alone and couldn’t hold him and pull the splinter so I took him in. I held him and the dr pulled the splinter.

jawilli4
04-21-2018, 04:25 PM
If he is okay with waiting for a day to see if it helps, then I don't think it would hurt.

That being said, I took DD into an urgent care clinic once when we were on vacation on the Eastern Shore of Maryland to remove a splinter in her foot. Not only didn't they laugh at us, they had a wall of fame of impressive things they extracted! Huge fishing lures were a popular item.

California
04-21-2018, 06:17 PM
My aunt is a nurse and she recommends a bath soak first, and then check again. And yes, urgent cares will handle splinters. I considered it recently when my DD got a big thorn in her foot. After a soak I was able to get it out with help of a needle and tweezers. I gave DD the option of urgent care. FYI Doctors (not nurses) have to handle the extraction. DD decided she’d rather have me do it, if she’d fought me we would have gone in.

petesgirl
04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Update: I took him to swimming lessons, so he got in a 30 minute soak..ha ha..but after the lesson his finger was noticeably more swollen than the same finger on the other hand and he couldnt bend it, despite the wound being near the tip of the finger not the joint. So i took him in. After some lidocaine cream and digging around for about 30 mins the Dr finally got out a y-shaped piece of wood. It may have worked itself out eventually but I'm confident I could not have gotten it out at home. Thanks everyone!

georgiegirl
04-21-2018, 08:08 PM
It sounds like he needed a professional to extract the splinter. Glad it’s out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk