PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 8th grade Language Arts HW worksheet! (due 4/23)

Soccermomm
04-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Need help with 8th grade Language Arts HW worksheet! (due 4/23)
Language Arts is not my stRong suit. DS has a worksheet due tomorrow. The last one I double checked he got a 70 on, so I will take any help I can get.

Here are two questions I am not sure he picked the right answer.

1. The phrase "not suspended in a shaft of summer light" uses all of these techniques EXCEPT
A. alliteration
B. description
C. imagery
D. personification

2. Line 71 contains an example of what. (LIne 71- This is done. )
A. Independent Cause
B. Imperative sentence

C. Passive Voice
D. Sentence Fragment

3. What pair of adjectives best describes the tone of the second paragraph. (this paragraph is one sentence long. Sentence is this. I'll tell you about it.
A. casual and friendly
b. formal and cheerful
c. simple and resigned
d. helpful and apathetic

essnce629
04-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Language Arts is not my stRong suit. DS has a worksheet due tomorrow. The last one I double checked he got a 70 on, so I will take any help I can get.

If he is struggling shouldn't he go in and ask his teacher for help? It's not your homework, so I wouldn't be correcting it for him. That's not going to help him in the long run.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

sariana
04-22-2018, 06:00 PM
1 is D.

2 is both A and C, assuming A has a typo and should be "Independent Clause." Otherwise just C.

3 probably is A, but I'm not sure. I think context is needed. The question is about paragraph 2 but probably is predicated on how it fits in with the rest of the passage.

ETA: Students shouldn't lose points for getting the wrong answer on a homework assignment. The purpose of homework is to reinforce learning and to allow the teacher to track progress. I don't believe in taking off points for wrong answers because if the students already knew all the right answers, they wouldn't need to do homework. Disclosure: I'm a former middle school language arts teacher.

trcy
04-22-2018, 07:29 PM
OMG, I will be useless to DCs middle school. I have no idea what any of this means.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
04-22-2018, 07:32 PM
1 is D.

2 is both A and C, assuming A has a typo and should be "Independent Clause." Otherwise just C.

3 probably is A, but I'm not sure. I think context is needed. The question is about paragraph 2 but probably is predicated on how it fits in with the rest of the passage.

ETA: Students shouldn't lose points for getting the wrong answer on a homework assignment. The purpose of homework is to reinforce learning and to allow the teacher to track progress. I don't believe in taking off points for wrong answers because if the students already knew all the right answers, they wouldn't need to do homework. Disclosure: I'm a former middle school language arts teacher.

Agree with Sariana. D, C, A.

mom2binsd
04-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Although the alliteration is not very clear, the words start with the letter "s" but they don't all make the /s/ sound.

I really dislike language arts stuff like this!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sariana
04-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Although the alliteration is not very clear, the words start with the letter "s" but they don't all make the /s/ sound.

I really dislike language arts stuff like this!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

But it doesn't use personification at all [ETA so that has to be the answer]. Just two words with the same initial sound count as alliteration, so even without the /sh/ word, alliteration is present.

I agree that these worksheets are annoying.

Soccermomm
04-23-2018, 06:36 AM
OMG, I will be useless to DCs middle school. I have no idea what any of this means.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Thank you for responding. I am glad I am not alone.

Soccermomm
04-23-2018, 06:37 AM
1 is D.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping me out. We went over things and talked about them.