PDA

View Full Version : BEST preschool activities ever?

bisous
04-22-2018, 07:20 PM
I'm teaching preschool for two days next month for the last time ever for one of my children (as part of our preschool coop). Then they'll all be in school and beyond the preschool years. While I'm very ready to move to my next phase in a lot of ways, I want to just make my last week teaching the best possible--the most fun.

What ideas would you share? If you could only teach one more week what would you do?

FWIW, we finished the letters of the alphabet and we're on "review" so really we can do anything!

Part of me wants to a do a "forest" themed day and cover all the really great fairy tales/nursery rhymes that take place in a forest--3 little pigs, 3 bears, goldilocks, hansel and gretel, etc. I was thinking we could decorate my house with trees and stuffed animals, have lots of read alouds and creative play... just an idea.

Another idea I had was to do "if you give a mouse a cookie..." type theme but read all the books and pick activities that would be fun. We could have cookies, or pancakes, or muffins, or whatever. Lots of ideas there.

Or we could have an Eric Carle day, or a Dr. Seuss day...

Would love to hear what activities you've done that are really fun.

TIA!

schrocat
04-23-2018, 05:11 PM
My daughter just went grocery shopping and came back to cook fried rice at her chinese immersion montessori preschool. She loved it.

sariana
04-23-2018, 05:16 PM
I love the forest idea. You could have a Teddy Bears Picnic and incorporate the story-telling into that.

bisous
04-23-2018, 05:48 PM
I love the forest idea. You could have a Teddy Bears Picnic and incorporate the story-telling into that.

Love it. DD would love that too. There is just so much to do! It is hard to narrow it down. I will (sorta) miss this age.

bisous
04-23-2018, 05:49 PM
My daughter just went grocery shopping and came back to cook fried rice at her chinese immersion montessori preschool. She loved it.

I don't know how to make fried rice! But cooking with kids is really fun. I think it is funny because all the kids seem to have their own favorite activities. It might be fun to do one "greatest hit" per kid, guaranteeing that all the kids have something really memorable!

specialp
04-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Favorite unique lessons we’ve done: science experiments (so time consuming on your part), geography which I loved, and famous artists.

umsh
04-24-2018, 07:04 AM
I think the forest theme is awesome and definitely memorable (and if you do it, I’d love to see pics and what you end up doing!) Another theme I love for that age (if it hasn’t already been done) is colors...there are a ton of fun color related activities you can do, but color mixing is probably amongst the coolest. A great starting point is the book Mouse Paint. Then they can do color mixing with primary colors (food coloring in water in clear cups) and droppers, make tissue paper “stained glass”...there are a million other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
04-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Favorite unique lessons we’ve done: science experiments (so time consuming on your part), geography which I loved, and famous artists.

Thank you for sharing. These are good.

bisous
04-24-2018, 08:25 AM
I think the forest theme is awesome and definitely memorable (and if you do it, I’d love to see pics and what you end up doing!) Another theme I love for that age (if it hasn’t already been done) is colors...there are a ton of fun color related activities you can do, but color mixing is probably amongst the coolest. A great starting point is the book Mouse Paint. Then they can do color mixing with primary colors (food coloring in water in clear cups) and droppers, make tissue paper “stained glass”...there are a million other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color. I love it. So straightforward. There is so much to do! I love the book Mouse Paint.

mousemom
04-24-2018, 08:53 AM
My kids have always loved preschool activities that involved scavenger hunts. They've often been holiday themed (follow clues to leprechaun's pot of gold, track down gingerbread man who escaped from the oven, etc.), but wouldn't have to be. One of the most successful kid's birthday party activities I've done was a forest themed animal hunt around the house. I was surprised the kids wanted to do it over and over!