PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed....More on the math saga...

bisous
04-22-2018, 08:09 PM
This will only make sense if you follow my other posts about the math situation with DS1:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?503017-Spin-off-How-important-are-AP-classes-in-High-School

and:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?503015-School-Frustration!-Would-love-your-opinion

Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7. So he has about 2 months. Because he has to take a year's worth of math (with apparently no adjustments) he will need to study 8 hours a day to complete it all. Fun summer, eh? Oh and it starts while he is still in school. :( Although I'm grateful that his school is "letting him" have this opportunity, I'm kind of incensed that the old requirement was to take a 45 minute math proficiency test--placing him in the higher math and that now they are being absolute sticklers about making sure that he has this official coursework. I think there should be some adjustment for the fact that there is a lot of repetition and review from year to year. This is going to be a really tough sell. I'm honestly not sure it will be worth the effort...I'm still feeling that boiling pit of upset about the whole thing. :(

TwinFoxes
04-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Why do you think he'll have to study eight hours a day? I assume the class is at least 3 hours. That's way more than a regular math class. I don't know, I really don't think it will be that much daily studying for pre-calc. (Is that what the class is?) It's not realistic that kids would study eight hours for one summer math class. I would double check. But if it really is eight hours a day, I can see why you are rethinking it.

bisous
04-22-2018, 09:12 PM
Why do you think he'll have to study eight hours a day? I assume the class is at least 3 hours. That's way more than a regular math class. I don't know, I really don't think it will be that much daily studying for pre-calc. (Is that what the class is?) It's not realistic that kids would study eight hours for one summer math class. I would double check. But if it really is eight hours a day, I can see why you are rethinking it.

This is lifted from the email I received from the middle school:

"Students are expected to take 1 course, but can do 2 courses if they are highly motivated. One course would be equivalent to about 4 hours a day and taking an additional course would be about 8 hours a day. A student can take Algebra 1A/1B in the summer but he will only have 2 months to complete it.

Hope this information helps, let me know how you want me to move forward."

I asked if it REALLY needed to be 8 hours per day.

I'm mad because what he needs is COMPETENCY not credits. I don't think he needs to do 8 hours a day for the whole summer to be ready for Math 2H.

TwinFoxes
04-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Is he taking two courses? I'm not trying to be thick, but you wrote "Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7." To me, one "class" equals one "course". So, two courses would be two separate classes (say, Physics 1 and pre-calc).

ETA: Do you know any kids who've taken the same course load? Could you ask his/her parents how much time they actually committed?

bisous
04-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Is he taking two courses? I'm not trying to be thick, but you wrote "Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7." To me, one "class" equals one "course". So, two courses would be two separate classes (say, Physics 1 and pre-calc).

ETA: Do you know any kids who've taken the same course load? Could you ask his/her parents how much time they actually committed?

I'm sorry! I'm probably not explaining this well. According to the K8 that DS1 attends, the course required to replace "Math 1" is BOTH Algebra 1A and Algebra 1B so two courses. I don't know if the middle school is requiring that he take both or the high school is requiring that he take both. Nobody has ever worked with this program before. It is through what will become a digital high school but will be functioning under the umbrella of the K-8 that DS1 currently attends. The digital high school doesn't officially start until this coming Fall. They are making an exception to provide him with the coursework that he missed by not taking their advanced math class (he didn't take it because they would not admit him.)

Does that make sense? So it is two courses. Nobody has ever taken them before to talk to.

My sister thinks that the middle school is offering this with the hopes that he will reject it, so that they can then say that they offered him a course to fix the problem but that we said no. I'm not sure this is the case. I think it is the high school that is requiring that he take classes before they'll move him up. This is based on a conversation with them that I had a few weeks ago. When I asked the counselor to please place him in Math 2H, that we'll handle the preparedness over the summer he said, "Well, I'm going to place him in Math 1 and when I get word that he has completed the coursework required I"ll move him up to Math 2H".

Hopefully that made sense?

sariana
04-22-2018, 10:51 PM
That teacher is an idiot. Sorry, not helpful, I know. I have no more advice. I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this.

bisous
04-22-2018, 10:58 PM
That teacher is an idiot. Sorry, not helpful, I know. I have no more advice. I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this.

You mean the counselor I talked to? I feel the same way. I am seriously considering moving schools. The lack of organization at this school has been appalling and I almost feel like the whole math thing has been a blessing to show me what might await us if we attended! DS1 is SOOOOO disorganized and I think he needs more support than he is currently getting. The same counselor I spoke with was woefully misinformed about 504 plans (and he should know about them--part of the job). It also concerns me that they have no school calendar yet for the Fall and that the bell schedule is so complicated that even the school secretary can't figure out what is going on without having a laminated copy of the schedule in her hand at all times.

We're looking anew at all the schooling options in the area.

KrisM
04-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Algebra 1A is likely the first semester of Algebra. 1B is the 2nd semester. So together, they are 1 full year of algebra. If Math 1 is a full year, then this makes sense that it is a full replacement.

If he does well in math, I would think it would be faster for him than the average. For an online course, he can do it at his own pace to an extent. There may be assignments to finish, but if he grasps it quickly then he will move through them.

A full year of a class in school is about 180 hours, right? Break than down into 8 weeks, and it's about 22.5 hours per week.

bisous
04-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Algebra 1A is likely the first semester of Algebra. 1B is the 2nd semester. So together, they are 1 full year of algebra. If Math 1 is a full year, then this makes sense that it is a full replacement.

If he does well in math, I would think it would be faster for him than the average. For an online course, he can do it at his own pace to an extent. There may be assignments to finish, but if he grasps it quickly then he will move through them.

A full year of a class in school is about 180 hours, right? Break than down into 8 weeks, and it's about 22.5 hours per week.

Hmm. That is more similar to four hours a day than 8. I think it is technically 9 weeks which divides quite easily into 180 hours. What are they trying here?

I feel like 4 is not completely unreasonable to ask a student to do during the summer, though it is a lot at our busy home!

KrisM
04-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Hmm. That is more similar to four hours a day than 8. I think it is technically 9 weeks which divides quite easily into 180 hours. What are they trying here?

I feel like 4 is not completely unreasonable to ask a student to do during the summer, though it is a lot at our busy home!

My only thought is that maybe kids usually take summer classes as credit recovery and have to spend more time on it.

Is there a drop period? A few days that he can start the class and then decide with no affects?

Our summer classes are 6 weeks. We looked into DS1 taking 1 this summer to open up some choices over the next couple years. Going on memory, I think they said to expect to spend about 2-3 hours a day on it for a 1 semester class. The class will give a percentage complete along the way and he'd have a pacing schedule so he could know if he was where he was supposed to be or not.

bisous
04-23-2018, 10:12 AM
My only thought is that maybe kids usually take summer classes as credit recovery and have to spend more time on it.

Is there a drop period? A few days that he can start the class and then decide with no affects?

Our summer classes are 6 weeks. We looked into DS1 taking 1 this summer to open up some choices over the next couple years. Going on memory, I think they said to expect to spend about 2-3 hours a day on it for a 1 semester class. The class will give a percentage complete along the way and he'd have a pacing schedule so he could know if he was where he was supposed to be or not.

Those are some good questions to ask. Thank you.

Kindra178
04-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Those are some good questions to ask. Thank you.

Does he really want this? If he wants this, then he should do it. I, of course, believe in the long game. I would rather him start with the recommended course for freshman year of high school (adjustment to high school, his adhd, insanely increased course load across the board, new social situations) AND THEN choose to accelerate next summer or the following summer. He can always a cc class after junior or senior year.

KrisM
04-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Does he really want this? If he wants this, then he should do it. I, of course, believe in the long game. I would rather him start with the recommended course for freshman year of high school (adjustment to high school, his adhd, insanely increased course load across the board, new social situations) AND THEN choose to accelerate next summer or the following summer. He can always a cc class after junior or senior year.

I think that is a good idea too, really. Although, with classes like Math 1,2,3 I would make 100% sure it's doable!

If Math 1 = algebra, does that mean Math 2 = geometry and Math 3 = algebra 2? If so, I know kids often double up and take both geometry and algebra 2 at the same time. Is that an option at all?

My last thought is whether they offer test-out options. Can he self study for either Math 1 this summer or Math 2 over next year and take the end of year exam? Our high school lets kids try to test out of classes like that. No penalty unless you fail the test more than 2 times. If you pass, it's noted as a test out on the transcript.

chlobo
04-23-2018, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry! I'm probably not explaining this well. According to the K8 that DS1 attends, the course required to replace "Math 1" is BOTH Algebra 1A and Algebra 1B so two courses. I don't know if the middle school is requiring that he take both or the high school is requiring that he take both. Nobody has ever worked with this program before. It is through what will become a digital high school but will be functioning under the umbrella of the K-8 that DS1 currently attends. The digital high school doesn't officially start until this coming Fall. They are making an exception to provide him with the coursework that he missed by not taking their advanced math class (he didn't take it because they would not admit him.)

Does that make sense? So it is two courses. Nobody has ever taken them before to talk to.

My sister thinks that the middle school is offering this with the hopes that he will reject it, so that they can then say that they offered him a course to fix the problem but that we said no. I'm not sure this is the case. I think it is the high school that is requiring that he take classes before they'll move him up. This is based on a conversation with them that I had a few weeks ago. When I asked the counselor to please place him in Math 2H, that we'll handle the preparedness over the summer he said, "Well, I'm going to place him in Math 1 and when I get word that he has completed the coursework required I"ll move him up to Math 2H".

Hopefully that made sense?

At our high school, in order to place out of Geometry and go straight to Algebra 2 you need to take an online test. You can prepare for the test however you want but you need to take and pass the test. Otherwise they will no "move you up". We go to a regional high school and kids who are in the town where the high school is located are eligible to take geometry through the high school while in 8th grade but because of logistics, our students are not able to do so. Parents have to prepare their kids on their own. It sort of sucks for the really smart kids because it means they have to double up on math during the school year. However, the placement test for high school is in the spring.

All that said, how hard is moving up once he is in high school and proves he knows the material? I am told that our high school allows movement in both directions (up and down) based on how the students are doing in class. Does he already know the material? Is taking the class just a "paperwork" thing?

Also, do you anticipate your son going into engineering, math or science? Are those his primary areas of interest?

bisous
04-23-2018, 11:34 AM
In February we attended an orientation for the school that had several math challenge tests already scheduled. Those were to be used to determine math level. In years past most high achieving kids would simply test out of Math 1 and be placed directly in Math 2H. Then in March, just ahead of the schedule challenge tests, they abruptly changed the policy and now it is on prior math teacher recommendation, combined with test scores, grades and coursework in math. DS1 has the grades and test scores but his teacher will not recommend him for Math 2H (because it is his personal philosophy that they should not skip) nor would this same teacher allow him to enter the special accelerated course this past year despite telling me that he thinks that DS1 has the math ability to handle it.

So, we're here. I think 4 hours per day is reasonable for a summer school course. I think it will be hard in my house, with my 3 other kids and activities and all that... but I think we can do it. 8 hours is not feasible. I don't think it is necessary. He doesn't need to show credit for Math 1 (unless the high school is demanding that but I think that can be challenged). He only needs to know what is covered in Math 1 which I think will take far less than even 4 hours a day. Tutoring a child one on one in math and teaching a classroom of 33 students are completely different things. I am frustrated that they are being so literal about finding an equivalent course. I am wondering who is being hardheaded here. Is it the K8 school he currently attends that is offering the summer course? Or the high school that as of a few months ago (2 to be exact) used to accept the results of a 45 minute test and are now requiring 180 hours of material? Does that make sense?

bisous
04-23-2018, 11:36 AM

I get it. I do. But it is a domino effect. Also, taking an entire year during the summer won't be available again. This is being offered as a special "service" one time thing from his current school. Also, there is the idea that all of his peers are in the higher math.

sariana
04-23-2018, 11:58 AM
You mean the counselor I talked to? I feel the same way. I am seriously considering moving schools. The lack of organization at this school has been appalling and I almost feel like the whole math thing has been a blessing to show me what might await us if we attended! DS1 is SOOOOO disorganized and I think he needs more support than he is currently getting. The same counselor I spoke with was woefully misinformed about 504 plans (and he should know about them--part of the job). It also concerns me that they have no school calendar yet for the Fall and that the bell schedule is so complicated that even the school secretary can't figure out what is going on without having a laminated copy of the schedule in her hand at all times.

We're looking anew at all the schooling options in the area.

No, i mean his current math teacher, and your new post above makes me even more convinced. I get that he wants to make sure his recommendations are sound. But with a parent insisting that the child will receive support at home, with the family pushing and pushing to get into this class, with the student interested in math and science--the teacher needs to get off his high horse and either make the recommendation or tell someone that for this one-time case, other factors should supersede teacher rec.

My first year teaching I had a student ask if I was going to recommend her for honors English the next year. I pointed out that she was not consistent about turning in her work and that I didn't feel that she had shown the dedication for honors level. I was so wrong, and I am so glad someone overruled me. The fact that she came to me to ask about it showed she had the dedication. [ETA Also she probably was bored in the regular level.] Looking back I wish I had asked her to write me a paragraph convincing me that she should be in honors. But I was a new teacher with all kinds of other issues going on, and I didn't think to do that.

Is this math teacher a new teacher? Does he have some other reason for being so strictly "by the book"?

I really don't understand why one person has so much power in this scenario. Just put the kid in the higher level class. If it's not a good fit, it will be pretty clear pretty quickly. Changing a schedule is a nuisance but is not the impossible ordeal schools like to pretend it is. And it's much easier to move someone down a level than the other way around.

IMO it always is best to err on the side of more advanced. Many kids will rise to the challenge, and they otherwise would not have that opportunity. I did not always fell this way, as evidenced by my story above, but I came to this opinion after several years in the classroom.

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2018, 12:07 PM
So, how would your proposed high school handle a transfer student? How do they prove that they are qualified to take certain courses?

squimp
04-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Have you talked to the high school math teachers? We have been trying to figure out the right class for DD in 9th grade next year, and so I've been talking to the middle school and high school teachers about placement and future success in math. In our experience, the counselors just don't know enough about the math sequencing to be terribly helpful.

So this will be his first Algebra class? Or would this be a review? What class are you hoping for him to take in the fall (Geometry, Algebra 2)? Our school does so much testing, and they allow kids to skip classes if they are up to the task. I know several kids who have skipped and are fine, but usually need some remediation over the summer. We have a placement tests at the beginning of middle school. We also have multiple standardized tests that push kids beyond what they know. If kids are good at Algebra, it will show up on these tests. I'm told abilities/success in Algebra are best correlated with later math success, so if he's done well, he should be able to move up.

speo
04-23-2018, 12:50 PM
I too am wondering if this would be his first real Algebra class? I personally would be wary of rushing or skipping that class. Algebra is really the foundation to all of the higher level math classes. Cramming could make him less steady in further years. You said this is a one time deal. However, maybe he could skip Geometry via summer school next summer? That is what many of us did when I was in high school. Perhaps if your district doesn't have geometry in summer school, he could take it at one of the surrounding districts? Rushing geometry imho is less worrisome that algebra because of its importance in future years.

sariana
04-23-2018, 01:14 PM
I am not aware of any CA districts that offer summer school for anything other than remediation anymore. There may be some, but I don't know of any that do what my high school did, which was to allow students to get ahead by taking summer school courses. It's really a shame. I was able to clear out time in my schedule for more music and foreign language classes by taking history in the summer. I also was able to get back on track in math (didn't take algebra in 8th) by taking geometry as a summer course.

My children won't have the opportunity to do that. I assume it's because of budget cuts. CA schools are in bad shape.

bisous
04-23-2018, 03:36 PM
OK. I was so mad this morning I almost couldn't think straight. Instead of ruminating on this problem, my mom made me (haha) go to Sephora and spend my GC while DD was in preschool. (How vapid does that sound?) But I'm actually really glad I didn't act while I was upset. I now not only have more clarity but I have a Nars blush/bronzer duo that is really fab....(orgasm/laguna) BUT ANYWAY...

So.... for various reasons I'm completely revisiting the question of where he will attend high school next year. I actually do not think he will attend the school he's currently registered for. I learned a lot about that school while I went through this. I'm going to focus on this but I need to do it with a clear head. I need more information and that's what I'm currently doing--gathering information.

I do think we'll go forward with this math class. My mom helped me see the value in this. I do think he's had algebra. The class here is called "Math 3" but they're graphing equations and factoring and solving for x and all that stuff... I think that's algebra? But anyway, I don't see any negative from him having this math class over the summer. I really don't think it will take more than 4 hours a day and I have confirmed that this class will go on his 8th grade transcript and not his high school transcript! So he can "pass" the class and it will allow him to be that much higher regardless of what high school he ends up at.

Thank you for all the perspectives. You guys have had my back since DS1 was kicked out of preschool all those years ago. I suspect this isn't done yet and I'll probably be back with questions but right now I'm thankful for a little bit of clarity and peace of mind.

georgiegirl
04-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Glad the retail therapy helped. I’m so frustrated for you. I’m curious as to which high school is giving you issues, RM?

BunnyBee
04-23-2018, 04:10 PM
OK. I was so mad this morning I almost couldn't think straight. Instead of ruminating on this problem, my mom made me (haha) go to Sephora and spend my GC while DD was in preschool. (How vapid does that sound?) But I'm actually really glad I didn't act while I was upset. I now not only have more clarity but I have a Nars blush/bronzer duo that is really fab....(orgasm/laguna) BUT ANYWAY...

So.... for various reasons I'm completely revisiting the question of where he will attend high school next year. I actually do not think he will attend the school he's currently registered for. I learned a lot about that school while I went through this. I'm going to focus on this but I need to do it with a clear head. I need more information and that's what I'm currently doing--gathering information.

I do think we'll go forward with this math class. My mom helped me see the value in this. I do think he's had algebra. The class here is called "Math 3" but they're graphing equations and factoring and solving for x and all that stuff... I think that's algebra? But anyway, I don't see any negative from him having this math class over the summer. I really don't think it will take more than 4 hours a day and I have confirmed that this class will go on his 8th grade transcript and not his high school transcript! So he can "pass" the class and it will allow him to be that much higher regardless of what high school he ends up at.

Thank you for all the perspectives. You guys have had my back since DS1 was kicked out of preschool all those years ago. I suspect this isn't done yet and I'll probably be back with questions but right now I'm thankful for a little bit of clarity and peace of mind.

My kids' math program starts graphing equations in year 6 and gets more complex in 7/pre-algebra. Solving for x starts back in earlier elementary. At any rate, that could be pre-algebra. The curriculum's website may be helpful as to what it is roughly equivalent to. Good luck with your decisions!

bisous
04-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Glad the retail therapy helped. I’m so frustrated for you. I’m curious as to which high school is giving you issues, RM?

RC! It is the shiny new magnet.

bisous
04-23-2018, 04:33 PM
My kids' math program starts graphing equations in year 6 and gets more complex in 7/pre-algebra. Solving for x starts back in earlier elementary. At any rate, that could be pre-algebra. The curriculum's website may be helpful as to what it is roughly equivalent to. Good luck with your decisions!

I'll check it out for sure. I have his math book here and I'll compare it all. I think this can only be a good thing for him!

sariana
04-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Your son and my son sound like kindred spirits, preschool history and all. My DS also is in 8th grade and also has tremendous trouble with organization. His algebra teacher didn't recommend him for "honors" geometry, just regular, but we're moving and the new school district doesn't have honors geometry (as far as I can tell). So whatever.

KrisM
04-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Algebra here included quadratic equations, polynomials, fractional exponents, negative exponents, solving pairs of linear equations.

DD is in pre-algebra and is graphing equations and inequalities, factoring for a variable, etc.

bisous
04-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Algebra here included quadratic equations, polynomials, fractional exponents, negative exponents, solving pairs of linear equations.

DD is in pre-algebra and is graphing equations and inequalities, factoring for a variable, etc.

I don't think they did quadratic equations or polynomials. We did the other stuff... I think no matter what this summer math class will be good!

speo
04-23-2018, 05:04 PM
I am not aware of any CA districts that offer summer school for anything other than remediation anymore. There may be some, but I don't know of any that do what my high school did, which was to allow students to get ahead by taking summer school courses. It's really a shame. I was able to clear out time in my schedule for more music and foreign language classes by taking history in the summer. I also was able to get back on track in math (didn't take algebra in 8th) by taking geometry as a summer course.

My children won't have the opportunity to do that. I assume it's because of budget cuts. CA schools are in bad shape.

My district is next door to bisous' district. I happened to have a meeting today at our high school regarding Spanish and general scheduling. This thread got me thinking about skipping geometry. DS1 will be taking algebra in 8th next year. Our district has summer school courses that students can use to get ahead and the principal said this could be done for geometry. Students also take summer school to skip a health course. The principal also said that he could take classes online and use those to skip. Some students are even doing online PE!

bisous
04-23-2018, 05:11 PM
My district is next door to bisous' district. I happened to have a meeting today at our high school regarding Spanish and general scheduling. This thread got me thinking about skipping geometry. DS1 will be taking algebra in 8th next year. Our district has summer school courses that students can use to get ahead and the principal said this could be done for geometry. Students also take summer school to skip a health course. The principal also said that he could take classes online and use those to skip. Some students are even doing online PE!

Having moved around in multiple districts (all in the same county) I can tell you I can't BELIEVE what a difference there is between school districts. There is so much individual variety. You sound like you have a good thing!

boogiemom
04-23-2018, 05:13 PM
We discussed math trajectory with an upper-level math teacher before making the decision for our DS1. She strongly recommended sticking with Algebra 1 because she sees many students struggling in Algebra 2 because they didn’t learn Algebra 1 as strongly as they need for an adequate foundation for Algebra 2. She made very valid points and I do not ascribe to the belief that high school students need to over-accelerate studies so we stuck with Algebra 1. Our school does Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 so we’ll see next year in Algebra 2 if it served him well to do it this way. :-)

While it may seem like an all-important decision, it really isn’t. He’ll be fine regardless of which math class he takes as a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
04-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Your son and my son sound like kindred spirits, preschool history and all. My DS also is in 8th grade and also has tremendous trouble with organization. His algebra teacher didn't recommend him for "honors" geometry, just regular, but we're moving and the new school district doesn't have honors geometry (as far as I can tell). So whatever.

They do sound alike. I love them. Life as a smart, flaky person is tricky. This high school thing will be an interesting ride. At least your guy is going into Geometry! And what is up with letting these math teachers have so much power!

Kindra178
04-23-2018, 05:50 PM
We discussed math trajectory with an upper-level math teacher before making the decision for our DS1. She strongly recommended sticking with Algebra 1 because she sees many students struggling in Algebra 2 because they didn’t learn Algebra 1 as strongly as they need for an adequate foundation for Algebra 2. She made very valid points and I do not ascribe to the belief that high school students need to over-accelerate studies so we stuck with Algebra 1. Our school does Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 so we’ll see next year in Algebra 2 if it served him well to do it this way. :-)

While it may seem like an all-important decision, it really isn’t. He’ll be fine regardless of which math class he takes as a freshman.

If you google the advice from that teacher, it’s totally correct! There’s research on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
04-23-2018, 06:22 PM
They do sound alike. I love them. Life as a smart, flaky person is tricky. This high school thing will be an interesting ride. At least your guy is going into Geometry! And what is up with letting these math teachers have so much power!

Oh, my poor son has no choice about geometry. My husband insists on it. If we were staying here, he would demand that I get DS into the honors level, no matter what the teacher said.

essnce629
04-23-2018, 09:31 PM

I totally agree with this. I don't think it's worth stressing about. I think your son will be totally fine either way. DS1 is in 9th grade this year and taking algebra 2. He took algebra 1 in 7th grade and geometry in 8th grade. If his teachers would have recommended anything else I would have listened to them. DS1 is also bad at organization. He's supposed to go on to precalculus next year, but if his current algebra 2 teacher recommends retaking algebra 2, because he was unorganized and constantly forgetting to turn in homework, then I'm ok with that too! But I'm the mean mom whose mantra is "let them fail, they'll do better next time!!!"

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

KrisM
04-23-2018, 11:28 PM

DS1 did online PE last year. It was fantastic! He's not a team sport kid, so playing soccer, writing football plays, etc isn't what he wants to do. online required 175 minutes/week of exercise. He rode his bike for most of it and would ride home from school, which is 4 miles. It got him in much better shape than he had been and it was really very good for him.

vonfirmath
04-24-2018, 09:42 AM

I've got one of those sons (Smart and flaky) He's going to be in 6th grade next year.

marinkitty
04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
This is apples to oranges, but by way of reference, my daughter (freshman now) is taking chemistry this summer to clear some room in her sophomore schedule for electives (she's a theater/music kid). The course is 7-weeks long M-F and has four hours of daily class time and a homework load of 2-3 hours a night. It is super intense. The course description says they cover a week of material daily and therefore the homework is correspondingly heavy. Not a picnic at all. It sounds like they expect your DS to cover a full year of math this summer so the eight hour mark isn't too far off from what my DD will be doing. Just for comparison's sake.

The whole thing sounds like a huge hassle that hasn't been well handled, but I also think a summer course is more work than you'd think when condensed like that.

And, I'm another one who says not to sweat the level so much. It is so easy to get swept up on the paranoia and competition. Your DS sounds like a bright, capable kid. He will do well if he stays on the current path and have plenty of time to take all the hardest math classes in college if he doesn't get to everything in high school.

bisous
04-24-2018, 11:39 AM
I know. It may be quite a lot of work. I still feel good about it. I have a lot of support and DS1 has a lot of support. I felt really strongly like he needed that math class back in August and for all my trying, it didn't happen. I still feel like it is good for him to have this course, for whatever reason. I have to just go with that.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I do appreciate it!!