PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum that does well with human hair

JustMe
04-25-2018, 01:31 PM
I have one of those Dyson ball vacuums. About 3 years ago, we moved into a house that is almost completely carpeted, so I can't sweep first. Since then, vacuuming has been so time consuming because any human hair or anything else long enough gets wrapped around the roller that turns to pick up dirt on the bottom. I have to clean this every time I vacuum and its actually pretty time consuming because it is hard to get in and out and there is enough that I find I have to take the whole thing out. This weekend, I don't want to tell you how much of a time suck that was because it doesn't line up that easily when I try to put it back together.

So, any vacuums that pick up hair and the like differently, so they go into the vacuum as they are supposed to and don't get wrapped around something? We really need a HEPA filter as well, but am interested in any options at this point.

thanks!

123LuckyMom
04-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I don’t think there’s a vacuum out there that doesn’t get hair wrapped around the roller! For me it was per hair, but hair is hair. I don’t clean my roller every time I vacuum. Every once in a while, I’ll clean the roller as a little project. I use scissors to cut through the hair and then just rip it out. It’s a messy task, but it’s not terribly frequent. I can’t imagine trying to keep a vacuum pristine. That would be a task!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JustMe
04-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Honestly, I don’t think there’s a vacuum out there that doesn’t get hair wrapped around the roller! For me it was per hair, but hair is hair. I don’t clean my roller every time I vacuum. Every once in a while, I’ll clean the roller as a little project. I use scissors to cut through the hair and then just rip it out. It’s a messy task, but it’s not terribly frequent. I can’t imagine trying to keep a vacuum pristine. That would be a task!

Thanks! It makes sense there may not be something that fits the bill, but hoping maybe there is. Its not to keep the vacuum pristine; it stops rotating due to the amount of hair it picks up. I lose a lot of hair (had this checked out many times, and there are not thyroid issues or anything else).

This wasn't a problem in our previous house because there wasnt as much carpet and I could sweep first.

JBaxter
04-25-2018, 02:28 PM
I have long hair and 2 Yorkies a couple times a year I flip my shark and use scissors to cut through the hair. LOL I thought it was just something you were supposed to do every so often

khm
04-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Could you do a pre-vacuum with the wand (is there a wand)? Use the hardwood floor attachment or whatever.

Sort of like you used to do the sweep before you vacuum.

JustMe
04-25-2018, 05:19 PM
Could you do a pre-vacuum with the wand (is there a wand)? Use the hardwood floor attachment or whatever.

Sort of like you used to do the sweep before you vacuum.

That would be a great idea. I don't think there's anything like that. Hardward floors are just a different setting. There are small brush like things for upholstery, but it would take me forever to do my floors like that!

sariana
04-25-2018, 05:47 PM
My Shark has a "scissors groove" along the brush roller intended just for this purpose. I also have a Dyson without the groove. Although the groove doesn't take away the task completely, it makes it much easier to cut off the hair. I love my Shark!

khm
04-25-2018, 06:16 PM
That would be a great idea. I don't think there's anything like that. Hardward floors are just a different setting. There are small brush like things for upholstery, but it would take me forever to do my floors like that!

https://www.amazon.com/Dyson-Articulating-Hard-Floor-Tool/dp/B004W2GTMA

They are probably universal sizes though. Mine (for a Beem vacuum) has bristles, not that pad thing. The pad is probably fine though!

legaleagle
04-25-2018, 07:17 PM
It’s super easy to get Hair off of the roomba roller - the whole thing pops out and the hair just slides off the end.

BunnyBee
04-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Use a seam ripper (sewing tool) to get the hair off the roller. I don’t know of one that works without a rotating cylinder and brushes.

niccig
04-25-2018, 08:19 PM
I shed like crazy and my long hair gets wrapped around the brushes. Like others I cut along the brush and pull it out.

TwinFoxes
04-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Use a seam ripper (sewing tool) to get the hair off the roller. I don’t know of one that works without a rotating cylinder and brushes.

I was coming here to post this! Easier than scissors.

MMMommy
04-26-2018, 12:47 AM
My Shark has a "scissors groove" along the brush roller intended just for this purpose. I also have a Dyson without the groove. Although the groove doesn't take away the task completely, it makes it much easier to cut off the hair. I love my Shark!

Which Shark model do you have and recommend? I am really wanting to get one. Thx!