PDA

View Full Version : Friend wanted to come on family trip - WWYD?

magnoliaparadise
04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
I would love your view on an issue that has really upset me. It's convoluted, but basically, my mother, my two kids, and I went on a trip and my mom (and my) friend wanted to join last minute. My mother declined and now that friend is upset. The question is: If a friend asks to be included in a family event - in this case a vacation - should they be? Is it extremely unkind if they are not?

I'm single and there was no spouse, which I think my tip the scales to saying that a friend should not be included.

My mother has a BFF "Jane" whom I have known for at least 30 years now. My mother and Jane share a lot together and talk almost daily. Jane was a therapist and now approximately 70 years old or a little older. Although she lives many states away, through the years, Jane has been extraordinarily generous with her time and energy to me. Although I talk with my mother, I also talk to Jane. I can call her about anything and she really listens to me, gives wise advice, has helped me. Although Jane shares basic facts about her life, she has almost never wanted to share much about herself emotionally or seek emotional support from me, so it's mostly a one-sided friendship of her helping me. Jane is kind of like a cross between a friend and second mother to me. Even though it's unusual, it's worked and my mom has supported it and was the one to suggest I call Jane when I first started to.

So... my mom, me, and my kids planned on going on a cruise. (My dad didn't want to go). I decided to do it to give my kids a treat of a 'real' vacation after some hard transitions this year. My mom wanted to come and I was happy to have her. However, my mom had another motive I only now learned, which is that she was hoping that the cruise would give us a chance to re-ignite our mother/daughter relationship. Our living together this past 9 months has really negatively impacted our relationship, unfortunately.

The day (or maybe two) before we were to leave for the cruise, Jane wrote a text to my mom and me saying that she was in very bad shape and there were a couple of cabins left on the ship. Would we mind if she bought a ticket on the cruise and she would see us on it? I don't have the text in front of me, but it wasn't exactly asking to be included in everything as much as that seeing us on the ship periodically and doing something together.

The request was very last minute for me and I didn't have much wiggle room for big decisions. I took my kids to an ill-timed "family weekend" camping trip at my oldest kid's summer sleepover camp the weekend before the cruise (I don't recommend it :) ) and the day that I received the text, I was exhausted. I had just spend all week finishing things up/packing up, then drove several hours to the camping trip, then several hours home to repack again for the cruise.

My mom asked me in those three hours between the two trips whether I thought Jane should come. I basically said... She is your BFF and I don't feel like it's fair for me to make the final decision so I will defer to you. However, if you want my opinion, I would invite her. We love her, she has been a great friend to you and more than helpful and wonderful to me in my life and she is asking to be included. I felt Jane would not have asked unless she really needed it. I said that it is a small sacrifice for my mom and I to lose the time we would spend together, but a big thing for her. And we can always go on a trip alone together another time with the kids.

My mom thought about it and talked to my dad and her sister, who both basically said that they felt Jane was violating basic boundaries asking to come on a family holiday and this was about a mother/daughter/grandchild. My mom also felt that, notwithstanding what Jane said about not doing things with us on the ship, she would of course hang out with us the whole time if she were on the ship. She also said that Jane always says that she feels comfortable asking for anything and if people want to decline, they can, so her request wasn't an indication of desperation.

My mother told Jane no (kindly) and we went on our trip. I had a bad feeling about it, but tried to forget about it and enjoy the trip.

When we returned home, Jane was both very angry, upset and very very hurt. For the last several days, she has given limited text responses ('sure' 'ok' 'yes') and returned only one call. It's all a mess. I feel so upset.

Jane's view... is that she was desperate, very depressed, felt she had no one in life at that moment and the lowest point of her life, and we weren't there for her. I did not quite understand how low she was, but now question whether it was my misunderstanding or that she wasn't clear.

Jane really sees this as a revelation about how we feel about her. She feels that friends (us in this case) matter more to her than she matters to them. She said it was a big ship (4500 guests) and all she wanted was to know we were on board and maybe see us and was amazed that we would exclude her - in fact, she shouldn't have had to even ask given the size of the ship, never mind being declined. She said, 'when I raised my kids, there was always an extra empty plate on the table, and I told them to always invite friends over for dinner and the more the merrier."

For my mother's part, she felt sad, but also angry that she was put in an awkward position last minute of having to decline when the vacation was meant for her to be with me doing mother/daughter/grandchild things and to spend some time with me to hopefully get our relationship back on track. She also felt that if Jane felt that she could make the request, she should also accept when the answer is no and shouldn't punish my mother for an honest answer.

Jane senses that I left this decision up to my mother, but is extremely hurt that I wouldn't push back on any decision and stand for having her come.

I feel... sad. I can see both views. I think I feel a lot more guilty than my mom because of how much Jane has helped me. I hate that Jane is hurting right now. I also fear that we have done irreparable harm to our individual relationships with Jane for a silly four night cruise.

I also feel - this is my very selfish part - that by not insisting that Jane come, I really hurt myself and future with Jane. I rely on talking to Jane as much as my mother, especially when I am going through difficult times. I fear I may have lost that now. If I really need to talk with her, she might think in the back of her mind, perhaps rightfully so, "Yes, but where were you when I needed you?"

Thank you for reading this. I'd love any very honest views you have. (But please no flaming). Do you think this is a no brainer and one way to look at this is correct (she should have been included vs. she was wrong to ask?) My mother and Jane both believe it's a no brainer to their view. I wonder it's not so clear cut in how people would respond in my mom and my shoes.

mmsmom
04-26-2018, 07:25 AM
What’s done is done and you need to focus on how to move forward instead of rehashing what happened and how or feeling you should have done something differently. I would just be honest with Jane.... you feel badly and do not want to lose the relationship. The last minute request caught you off guard. You are sorry it didn’t work out for her to come. You didn’t truly understand how she was feeling. Ask her how you can move forward.

klwa
04-26-2018, 07:42 AM
I don't think there's one way to look at it as you said that you, your sister, your dad, & your mom all saw it a little differently.

If I were in your place, I'd have looked at it as your mom did. A friend wanted to add herself onto the trip, and I'm not comfortable with that. I don't handle change to my plans well and would have felt intruded upon by being asked, especially that close to the date. Also, Jane didn't make it clear to you or your mom that things in her world were as low as they were. And, honestly, if she felt that she needed to see you two to get out of the funk, she would NOT have been happy just seeing you in passing on the ship. She would have intruded whether she meant to or not. That she feels you "excluded her" pushes me more firmly into this thought. Whether she realizes it consciously or not, she was planning on joining in on your time together.

As for moving forward, you and/or your mom could offer to her to go out one on one now to a coffee shop or meal so she can talk about what's been going on. Show her you care for her, but that the cruise wasn't the right time for your help. Now that you're home, you can be there for her. Those four days were about getting yourself & your mom into a better place. Now that you are, you can be a better friend for everyone.

TwinFoxes
04-26-2018, 08:00 AM
I think this is a textbook example of how some things shouldn't be done via text. If she had called I think a lot of this would have been avoided.

I think you should handle your ongoing relationship with Jane without trying to handle your mom's relationship, let them figure it out. I would talk to her, and explain that you had no idea her request was more than an offhand suggestion for a fun getaway. Explain how much she means to you, and assure her you will be there for her in the future. Have you reached out about why she's down and depressed? Is she better? Have you tried to help her get better? You haven't even mentioned being concerned for her well being, only that you're worried going forward. I do wonder when you say she never shares her personal business with her, have you asked? Maybe she doesn't see this incident as a one off. Regardless, I think showing her that you truly care about her and not just her help will go a long way toward mending the relationship.

AnnieW625
04-26-2018, 08:19 AM
If the ship had 4500 people on it then why didn’t Jane just buy a ticket and go herself? It sounds like she could’ve done her own thing and left you alone for parts of the cruise as well, but why did she feel like she needed your family’s approval? I would’ve been way more off put if Jane had invited herself and expected that your family pay for her to go. She lives far away from you guys so she would’ve had to find her way to the cruise on her own, right?

What is done is what is done and it sounds like Jane needs her own therapist as well not just seven days of R&R.

I would continue to have the same relationship you did before the cruise with her and find out what is really going on here as it sounds like she needs a friend or at least some family (as she doesn’t have one, right?) to lean on right now.

Agree that a lot is lost in non traditional verbal communication these days.

————
Imagine if this had happened via phone call:
Jane: hello BFF. I just found out from my travel agent/internet that there are cabins left on your cruise ship next week and I want to buy one and go.

BFF: really....I had no idea....why do want to go on a cruise all of a sudden?

Jane: I really just need to get away.....the ship is large and while I know you want time with your family I would love to meet up a few times during he cruise if that works for you.

BFF: okay maybe that would work. I really want to work on mother/daughter stuff with MP, but let me think if this would work or not.
———

I think all of the reasons Jane wanted to go on the cruise and why your mom didn’t want her there were lost in the text messages. Texts require short answers and have no emotion where as a phone call can sense out if something is just not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinkmomagain
04-26-2018, 09:20 AM
A lot of good responses. It sounds to me that your "friendship" with Jane has not been a traditional friendship. Friendships go both ways. Therapeutic relationships keeps the focus on the client and the therapist generally does not self-disclose. The way you describe this "friendship" sounds more like a therapeutic relationship. When suddenly Jane needed tending to, there was a shift in the dynamic. She plays a role in the way you responded as she has kept your relationship very one-sided, seems to me, as she always being the "helper." I realize that I may not be getting the full gist of your relationship in just one post, but something to think about.

div_0305
04-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Seems like a very complicated relationship as both you and your mom are friends with Jane. However, Jane wasn't asking to join you on a road trip where she'd be in the car, same hotel, restaurants, etc 24/7. I think I would've told her to come along seeing how much you like her company. Your mom and you could have had plenty of time alone--spa, pool time, etc And maybe Jane would've been happy to keep the kids company while you and your mom re-connected. It's too bad as this is all in the past now. Hopefully, Jane would be receptive to a sincere apology if you feel one is warranted. Even therapists have the same ups and downs as other human beings, and sometimes a few more down ones as they are always hearing about others issues. Maybe Jane should've more clearly said that she needed a break and being on a cruise with at least some people she knew would be better than being there all by herself. I hope you are not exclusively texting at this point with her. A phone call seems warranted.

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2018, 10:11 AM
If I were Jane, I'd be pretty upset. You can't undo it but you can try and mend things. I doubt you'll ever really get things back to where they were though. Maybe rent a house somewhere for the weekend with her or at least invite her to dinner. Your family let her down, I think. You can't control how your mom handles things but I would work on your relationship with Jane and not worry what the rest of your family is doing.

georgiegirl
04-26-2018, 10:34 AM
It sounds like Jane is one of those friends that is more like family. So I can see why she’s upset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
04-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Call Jane or go see her. Explain that you and your mother wanted to use the cruise as a time to repair your relationship and strengthen your bonds. The dynamic of the trip would have changed very much if another person attended--your mother didn't invite your sister or her spouse! You are sorry Jane was hurt by the decision as there was no ill will intended and love her very much and hope you can move forward from here.

FWIW, I think it's out of line for her to be mad at you about this. I can understand why she is hurt on a personal level, but that's on her and not your fault. It sounds a little potentially manipulative, but I could be projecting personal experiences with people onto your situation.

ezcc
04-26-2018, 02:23 PM
I would definitely work on patching things up with Jane, but I don't think you (or your mom) did anything wrong. The scenario of her being on the cruise but not really *with* you is odd. I'm trying to imagine if my mom and I planned a trip and my sister wanted to come along last minute- it would either be yes! come along, be on the trip with us or no, sorry this is something we have planned and need to do just us. And I think she would be ok with either answer. Maybe you can plan something else with Jane soon.

JElaineB
04-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Sounds like both your mom and Jane had hidden agendas. Sounds like Jane has been considered "family" to both of you but your mom telling her she couldn't even buy her own ticket on the cruise is not something family would do. But I understand your mom wanted some time with just you and the kids, which is perfectly reasonable. On the other hand, sounds like Jane is all of a sudden "in need" and that has never been the case or the nature of the relationship before, so there is something going on there new and unexpected. At this point all you can do is reach out to Jane and apologize and see what you can do at this point to make things right.

California
04-26-2018, 02:44 PM
My first concern is that this is casting a shadow on what was supposed to be happy time of enjoying your relationship with your mom. I would make sure that your mom knows that you are grateful for the time with her, and enjoy sharing stories together about the cruise with your dad.

I wouldn't apologize to Jane, if that would strain your relationship with your mom. Rather I think I'd frame it this way: Living together has been very hard on my relationship with my mom, and we planned this time together to heal our relationship. Now that we're in a healthier place, what can I do to support you?

And then in the upcoming months try to step it up a bit in giving back some of the love that Jane has shown you over the years. Has she had any big changes lately? Health scares? Living situation change? Decrease in mobility? Friends pass away or move away? Try to find out if something has happened that she hasn't shared with you yet.

ETA: This sounds like this is out of character for Jane. Before your mom digs in her heels on feeling out of sorts with Jane, I'd encourage some grace as the fact that Jane is so upset is a sign that she really is feeling depressed. At the same time, I think you did the right thing to let the decision fall to your mom. Your mom's decision wasn't unreasonable. And it would be smart to continue staying out of your mom's relationship with Jane, and having your own, separate friendship with Jane that you nurture on your own.