PDA

View Full Version : Would this bother you? Bday party

basil
04-26-2018, 12:35 PM
My DD is turning 4 in May. She goes to preschool 3 days a week, and the culture of this preschool is to do whole class parties (inviting about 16 kids, usually about 10 or so show up). They are typically at some bounce house place or gymnastics type place. Most of this runs around $300 plus you have to bring your own pizza and cake.

Our local grocery store has a service where they have a little room staffed for kids to stay while parents shop. It's nice...my kids color or play video games and I get my shopping done way more efficiently. They give you a pager and they have little monitors throughout the store so you can check in. Anyway, we were there the other day and they told me they noticed DD's birthday was coming up and they just starting offering birthday parties there.

It's a little bit hilarious. They give you a tour of the the store, you can touch a lobster, get a sample of cheese from the deli, visit the walk in freezer, see where the food gets dropped off, practice scanning things at the check out, and decorate a cupcake. And for $70, it's 2 hours long and they supply the pizza and cake.

DD is pretty adamant that she wants to have her party at the grocery store. But DH is really against it. He thinks it's tacky/cheesy, and that other parents will think we are poor/don't care. IDGAF what other parents think and agree that it's a little cheesy, but it will be a funny memory and that's what DD wants. I can also think of better things to do with $250 than renting a bounce house place for other people's kids (particularly cause DD doesn't do bounce houses).

WWYD? What would you think if your child was invited to a birthday party at a grocery store?

petesgirl
04-26-2018, 12:39 PM
I think that sounds fun for that age of kids! Actually, even my 7 yr old would probably enjoy most of it. And honestly for birthdays I try to honor what my kid wants to do. If anyone says anything you can just say she insisted on this.

anonomom
04-26-2018, 12:40 PM
It's a little odd, but not in a bad way. I mean, for 4yos, all of that sounds really engaging and cool. I wouldn't think "oh, they're poor" if I got that invite, I'd think "wow, that's different!"

I'd go for it.

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2018, 12:40 PM
The only hesitation I have is that 3-4 year olds might be too young for that type of party. Otherwise it sounds fun. If dd wants it, go for it. No one needs to know how much it cost. People will probably talk about what a cool idea it was. :)

Your dh is an enigma to me. (Rightfully so as I don't know him but still! Lots of financial contradictions!)

willow33
04-26-2018, 12:42 PM
That sounds like an awesome party for a 4 year old! I say go for it and to hell with what other parents may think. It's your daughter's day and she should have the party where she wants.

klwa
04-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Another one who thinks it sounds fun. Kind of reminds me of the old McDonalds parties from when i was a kid. Where the best part of going was they'd shut you in the walk in freezer for 10 seconds or so. :)

khm
04-26-2018, 12:57 PM
I think it sounds adorable! If you do it you'll probably be the first but not the last. I don't get your husband's worry at all. Poor? How about you just want to do something different instead of the old standby?

That it is what your daughter wants seals the deal for me. It's her birthday. She isn't worried about looking poor. Let her have her day the cute little way she wants to.

Smillow
04-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Go for it! It sounds super fun for the kids and certainly unique:)

carolinacool
04-26-2018, 01:04 PM
DS' day care was across the street from a grocery store and they once took the class there for a "field trip." It was either his preschool or Pre-K year, so they would have been around 3, 4 or 5. Either way, they had a blast. I remember DS excitedly telling me about going in the freezer. lol

I think it's a neat idea and something a little different from the usual bounce house party. I wouldn't think you were poor at all! Goodness gracious.

hwin708
04-26-2018, 01:05 PM
I have definitely never been to a party at a grocery store, or even knew such a thing existed. It would never even occur to me that such a thing was "cheap." Honestly, the novelty of it would make me think it was a pricey special request lol.

For the record, parents at our school tend to be pretty well off and traditional, for lack of a better word. Parties tend to be simple affairs at someone's home (i.e. no theme parties, but definitely catered) or at locations like the very nice children's museum. A bounce house party would be considered tacky and cheap here. But I guarantee all those parents would find a grocery store party adorable. Especially because the "grocery" at the children's museum is always the little kids favorite part.

ETA: I have also never heard of a kids' room at a grocery while the parent is shopping. How awesome is that!

TwinFoxes
04-26-2018, 01:06 PM
My kids would have loved it. LOVED it. I don't think it's tacky or cheesy, I think it's novel.

I would never think "they're poor" if my kids were invited. I'd think "thank goodness I don't have to go to another bounce house party with pizza."

(I also would never think "people will think we're poor.")

sariana
04-26-2018, 01:08 PM
I think the kids would love it.

carolinacool
04-26-2018, 01:11 PM
(I also would never think "people will think we're poor.")

Exactly. Basil, I know you're a doctor, so you're in a difference SES than most of my friends and me, but what does he think of people who do parties at home or the local playground? We have been to a lot of those.

DualvansMommy
04-26-2018, 01:12 PM
DS2, as a 4 year old would be all over it! he's really into cooking, kitchen helper and anything with food and food shopping which is hilarious considering he is also our most picky eater in the family.

I wouldn't think poor or strange but a very novel, cute and fun way to celebrate a birthday.

Philly Mom
04-26-2018, 01:20 PM
I went to a cooking party when I was 6 or 7 at our grocery store. Best party ever. Only one of a few I remember. In K, we also did a field trip to the grocery store. It’s the only field trip I remember going on. I think this sounds brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Tenasparkl
04-26-2018, 01:23 PM
It sounds great. I'd be thrilled to take my kid to a party that wasn't at the same old bounce house place.

BunnyBee
04-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a cool party! My kids would have a blast. If anyone at the party is making value judgments on people based on the amount of money they think the person has, well, screw them.

georgiegirl
04-26-2018, 01:35 PM
My 4 year old would love that!

Kindra178
04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
I think it's amazing. I have been to children's museums in numerous cities throughout the country. The most popular room by far is ALWAYS the fake grocery store. It seems like a great idea, different than the usual jump place. I will add that I was complaining to a friend yesterday about how our Target barely has any real check out lines open and you are forced to do self check out. She told me loves self check out because she loved playing store as a kid and always wanted to be a check out girl.

123LuckyMom
04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
I think that sounds like SO MUCH FUN for that age group!!! My kids would have LOVED that! What a phenomenal party idea! Far from thinking you’re poor or tacky, I think the other parents will admire that you found this neat idea first. Play it to your DH that you’ll be the first to do this unique party idea. The fun factor and the unusual venue will matter more to the kids/families than the cost. Then you can brag about how little it cost, and all the other families will be jealous! Definitely go for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PunkyBoo
04-26-2018, 02:05 PM
I too love the idea. My DS2 is 9, and I'd bet he'd LOVE to go to that party! I would also appreciate not having to go to another bounce house party!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

infocrazy
04-26-2018, 02:08 PM
To be honest, I would be thrilled to be able to do my shopping while they were at the party! 2 birds, 1 stone.

trcy
04-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Cute idea! Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

robinsmommy
04-26-2018, 02:19 PM
I love the uniqueness of this. And yes, the grocery store stuff is always the most played with in kid museums or preschools.

I also don't like bounce parties, esp when combined with food.

Be the trend setter!

The only reason people are paying those ungodly amounts for parties is because it is what available for a crowd that size. And a home party with 15-20 preschoolers would be insane.

The only caveat - if DC has a favorite staff person working the child care, see if they can work at the party, to make it a success. I think these type of activities depend on large part on the people running them.

alootikki
04-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Definitely do it!! I would probably include a very short description (like the one in your OP) of what the party entails in your invite (just to head off any questions of "huh? Is this venue right?! [emoji1]) but it sounds like a win/win!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
04-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Have it at the grocery store.....this is genius for the 7 and under set....really my 8 year old would enjoy this too. One of my favorite elementary memories was going on a walking field trip to the grocery store and buying food for the class party at my teacher’s house (this was in 1984 in small town NorCal).

We did backyard parties for 5 years straight though and have now gotten to smaller venues (paint your own pottery, gymnastics, and laser tag) as the guest list has gotten smaller. It was too $$$$ for us to do venues for 25+ kids. My DD2 has 22 kids in her class and 11 are coming to her party on Sunday, but thankfully the pottery place is affordable so our bill even with snacks and cake should be equal to what we were spending with backyard parties, about $200-$225.

gymnbomb
04-26-2018, 02:26 PM
My son turned 4 a couple of months ago, and I bet he would love it! We've been to 2 bowling parties and 3 bounce house place parties recently. I would be happy for a chance of venue! (We did the $300 bounce house place thing this year. Not because I thought it was the best idea, but because I couldn't come up with a better idea. I'm always looking for new ideas.)

Pear
04-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Sounds perfect. Be a trendsetter.

meggie t
04-26-2018, 04:25 PM
When my son was 3-4yo, a girl in his class had her birthday party at a grocery store. It was different in that there was no tour, but they have an actual party room and the people working it did games and crafts with the kids. Obv they supplied the pizza, cake, and all the craft stuff. It was fun! I'll be honest - I thought it a bit odd but it turned out really nice. I would totally do it if I were you!

Momit
04-26-2018, 04:39 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea for a birthday party. Honestly, by the time my DS was last that age I was so happy to be done with Pump it Up, etc. This is unique and fun. My son’s scout den did a grocery store tour 2 years ago - he still talks about it! I say go for it.

elbert
04-26-2018, 05:51 PM
I think it sounds great...and soooooooo worth it if only for the joy you'll get years to come when you reminisce about the year you had a birthday party at a grocery store!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

liz
04-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Sounds awesome, love the idea of it. Perfect for that age group!

ett
04-26-2018, 06:07 PM
I agree with PPs. I think it sounds like a great party for a 4 year old. And I would never think someone was "poor" for having their party at the grocery store.

KpbS
04-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Awesome party idea. My DD (7) would love it so much.

Mommy_Mea
04-26-2018, 06:51 PM
I agree it sounds adorable and a nice break from the usual places!

mmsmom
04-26-2018, 06:55 PM
I think it is an amazing option and how awesome to be the first one to have a party there. I guarantee others will follow. Do it!

ETA: I feel compelled to add I am from the generation where we all had birthday parties at McDonald’s. However, I have done parties for my kids that are $150-600 and they have all been great for different reasons,.. nothing to do with the $ amount. I bet they raise their prices soon when they realize how much they could charge.

mikala
04-26-2018, 07:09 PM
My 5 yo would love that kind of party and I think he would have liked it even more at 4.

I totally agree with PP that your DH's attitude towards money is fascinating.

KrisM
04-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Our moms club would do grocery store tours and the kids always loved it! I think it sounds great.

IansMom
04-26-2018, 08:06 PM
I think if your DD wants it, why not? I think most kids parties are cheesy--but the important thing is that the birthday kid and her guests have fun I wouldn't care what others think and I would want to teach my child that it is okay to be an individual I would do cute invitations and favors I think it's a love.h idea

twowhat?
04-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Man, do it!!! What an awesome and refreshing party format!!!!

mom2binsd
04-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! I have no idea why your husband made the comment, does he worry about stuff like that?

I agree more memorable than the gymnastics/bounce house/trampoline parties, which are way too expensive and usually such a madhouse.

I remember when we were visiting Arizona I went to a Fry's store and they had that exact setup. DD loved being in the "daycare".

California
04-26-2018, 10:38 PM
I love how preschoolers look at the world with fresh eyes. A grocery store is a marvelous, slightly mysterious place when you are four. If I were a guest I wouldn't assume you didn't care- I'd think you DID care about your DD's interests. And that it would be a really fun story to tell her when she's older.

baymom
04-26-2018, 11:26 PM
Both my kids would have LOVED a grocery store party at that age! Plus, what a charming memory for your family. I definitely say go for it!

MMMommy
04-27-2018, 12:16 AM
I think that would be very fun for the kids and not just the "same old, same old" party that everyone is used to. It's different, it's fun, and I really think the kids would enjoy it. And believe me, others will follow suit and want to have their party there too!

azzeps
04-27-2018, 12:24 AM
That sounds like a riot! Do it and have a great time!

Peaches Keane
04-27-2018, 04:15 PM
It sounds wonderful! It reminds me a bit of Mr. Roger’s neighborhood segments. My kids (similar age) love those.

mommy111
04-27-2018, 04:49 PM
A friend had a grocery store party (but they had a gym-y playroom in the grocery store). The kids loved it

div_0305
04-27-2018, 05:01 PM
This wouldn't bother me, but my DH would have the same reaction yours did. Although, we live in a very affluent area and I wonder if he'd say the same thing if we were in a more normal, diverse area. Maybe your DH would be more on board if you said it's a no gifts party?

squimp
04-27-2018, 05:23 PM
What a great idea! I bet the kids would love it. It's a perfect preschool idea, I mean preschoolers spend so much time getting dragged along to the grocery store, I bet they would love using the scanner, petting a lobster, it's real world stuff. Hope you can convince your DH, I wouldn't think that at all.

Globetrotter
04-27-2018, 10:25 PM
My kids would have loved it when they were little!! They used to play grocery store at home- I can’t Imagine how excited they would be to actually scan things in a real store and be allowed to see it behind the scenes!

FTR, Our local culture is similar to what you described, though I don’t remember doing the whole class until kindergarten. When we did whole class parties, we used to use local gymnastics places or pump it up or places like that. I had no patience for huge parties at home.

Globetrotter
04-27-2018, 11:14 PM
My kids would have loved it when they were little!! They used to play grocery store at home- I can’t Imagine how excited they would be to actually scan things in a real store and be allowed to see it behind the scenes!

FTR, Our local culture is similar to what you described, though I don’t remember doing the whole class until kindergarten. When we did whole class parties, we used to use local gymnastics places or pump it up or places like that. I had no patience for huge parties at home.

HannaAddict
04-28-2018, 03:03 AM
It is new and different idea for a birthday party but my three all LOVED the simple tours of the grocery stores they went on in preschool as field trips. I remember how excited they were and interested, and the “behind the scenes” access is a fun idea. For $70 I would give it a shot and I think the kids will have a great time! Fun idea!!

solsister
04-28-2018, 03:14 AM
I think it sounds like perfection for that age range! Such a fun thing for the kids to do, and I love that the store has come up with the idea. Do it!

doberbrat
04-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Honoring DD's wish AND saving $$$ in the process?? Win Win! I'd have booked it the same day. :)

elizamom
04-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Yes! Do it! I love it when the parties are a little unique like that and the kids do too.

schrocat
04-28-2018, 04:35 PM
It sounds like a really cool party. Just like a school field trip except with cake.

boilermakermom
04-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a fantastic idea! My kids would have loved it!

DD took a preschool field trip to the grocery store. She still talks about going in the backroom and the freezer/cold storage area. The kids loved it!

It would not occur to me that it is a cheap party. Not at all -seems like a kid theme party. I would openly welcome a party not at a bounce house place. Gross.

The grocery store is always the first place kids go at the local children's museum.

reneed
05-01-2018, 07:38 PM
I’m jealous that we never had this option here. DS would have loved this when he was younger!

jenstring95
05-01-2018, 11:31 PM
I think this will be a big hit. And you know what? The only thing that really matters is that it is what your DD wants and that it is within your means to provide it for her. Remember that story of the kid who had his birthday party at Target? This is a win-win for you AND all the parents who are sick of taking their kids to the same bounce house party over and over again.