PDA

View Full Version : Amazon is hiking Prime from $99 to $119

TwinFoxes
04-26-2018, 08:55 PM
It's not really that surprising after they raised the monthly rate. Will you still subscribe? (I'm a yes...we watch a shows on Prime, and I have taken advantage of one day and 2 hour shipping...unlike some of you I have had no problems with late deliveries.) Poll coming...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/leticiamiranda/amazon-is-raising-its-annual-prime-fee-from-99-to-119?utm_term=.cxWPpNZVP#.rtapY2MNp

carolinacool
04-26-2018, 09:31 PM
I suppose. We don’t re-up until December, so we have time. We don’t really do anything with streaming, it’s the two day shipping that’s the value for us.

DualvansMommy
04-26-2018, 09:53 PM
I just renewed earlier this month under old price of 99 bucks, so the new price won't go in effect for me until 4/19. Even then, it'll still be worth it for me/family! we use fair amount of prime tv/movies, 2 day shipping and my long list of save and subscribe list. It's smaller list this year than the past 6 years, but still get good savings than elsewhere though.

123LuckyMom
04-26-2018, 09:58 PM
My Prime will renew before the price hike, so this will be the second time I’ve paid $99, and I’ll probably pay $119 the following year unless they do some sort of promotion. I really rely on that free two day shipping, and we use the streaming music service a lot. We use the tv/movie streaming less, but we do use it. I’ve never used the book service. I’m pretty sure that in shipping alone I’m getting a bargain, but I’m also probably buying some things that I wouldn’t buy if it weren’t so easy to just click a button. Still, I think Amazon’s got me hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JElaineB
04-26-2018, 10:12 PM
Mine doesn't renew until August. If there a way to pay earlier to get the $99 renewal fee?

baymom
04-26-2018, 11:23 PM
The increase doesn’t bother me at all. An extra $20 bucks a year is not a deal breaker for me, because of all the services I get in return. Heck, sometimes one Starbucks run with my kids is $20.

robinsmommy
04-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Hmm. I voted snail mail, which is I guess what we do now - slow, free shipping for infrequent orders. We don’t have prime now, and I am dubious of getting it. Any compelling reason to? I think we spent less than prime would cost at Amazon last year. I’m thinking that the numbers don’t pan out for us.

Momit
04-27-2018, 12:11 AM
I’ll grumble a bit, but I’ll renew. Just took advantage of free next day shipping for a birthday gift I completely forgot to order earlier in the week, thus saving myself a Target run and the inevitable $100+ I spend every time I’m there. I think my Prime membership just paid for itself! :)

Mommy_Mea
04-27-2018, 05:51 AM
I am annoyed right now, and just a reminder to think about it closer in November just before we renew, but I bet we will. We don't use the prime streaming that much (use Netflix far more), but if I look back at my purchases, I am sure I will decide the shipping is worth it. Especially now that I can return for free at the Amazon books store near me.

JustMe
04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Ugh, this is more than I want to pay. I only really use the 2 day shipping, but am kind of dependent on it right now. I may start tracking things and see if I can get off next year.

calebsmama03
04-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Boo. I hadn't heard this. I still have a grandfathered plan where I share it with a few "sisters" but I'm not sure I would pay the full price for this amount. :(

pinkmomagain
04-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Prime has saved my ass many, many times. I will pay them what they want.

newnana
04-27-2018, 12:45 PM
worth it to us. Streaming the tv/movies is the only tv service we have, we love the music, have the visa because we buy so much through there....

vonfirmath
04-27-2018, 12:49 PM
We don't use many of the extras. But shipping has gone up a LOT and the 2-day shipping is still worth it to me.

citymama
04-27-2018, 12:57 PM
I've noticed I've cut waaaay back on my amazon ordering in recent months. We probably use it most for the Prime shows, to be honest. I've been buying books, gifts and toys from local retailers, pet food from the B&M pet store near us. The exceptions are some of the bigger ticket electronic items (printer, shredder, air purifier) that are free ship any way. We won't have to re-up till the end of the year, and while we probably will this one year, we may not continue to. Somehow I've come to rely on amazon a lot less than when kids were tiny and we needed that particular diaper or wipes and had no time to go shopping!

gymnbomb
04-27-2018, 01:28 PM
My Mom shares their Prime with us. We really only use the free shipping, but they use lots of streaming stuff so I imagine she'll keep it.

ellies mom
04-27-2018, 01:59 PM
We will keep it for the free two day shipping alone. I’ve had to make several non-amazon purchases recently and the shipping cost/delivery times were crazy. I’m too spoiled to give up free two day shipping. The streaming is just a great bonus as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBaxter
04-27-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm keeping it. My older 2 in grad school use prime all the time I guess they are grandfathered in.

essnce629
04-27-2018, 02:38 PM
We'll keep it for sure! I do most of my non- food shopping on Amazon and average over 400 orders a year apparently!!!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

scrooks
04-27-2018, 03:17 PM
I just noticed we renew on June 15th and the price hike occurs on June 16th ... whew!
I will reevaluate next year. I tend to buy a lot of books for the kids on amazon.

lizzywednesday
04-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Well, cr@p.

DH hasn't paid me for the existing subscription (he uses it more than I do) and as there's sales tax on the subscription, that comes out to a lot more than I can do without help.

I don't want to lose my grandfathered-in benefits, but cr@p.

bisous
04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
We’ve already quit prime. We almost never use the streaming. We only use the free shipping for birthdays and Christmas. We’re cutting back a lot this year so it made sense for us.

AnnieW625
04-27-2018, 07:57 PM
I've noticed I've cut waaaay back on my amazon ordering in recent months. We probably use it most for the Prime shows, to be honest. I've been buying books, gifts and toys from local retailers, pet food from the B&M pet store near us. The exceptions are some of the bigger ticket electronic items (printer, shredder, air purifier) that are free ship any way. We won't have to re-up till the end of the year, and while we probably will this one year, we may not continue to. Somehow I've come to rely on amazon a lot less than when kids were tiny and we needed that particular diaper or wipes and had no time to go shopping!

This is us too...we are watching way more Netflix than Amazon Prime, and I never use the Prime lending library. My prime is up in August so I am not sure we will renew. I do love Amazon Music Unlimited (compared to Apple Music) so I might keep just that if I can. I will miss the few times a year that they have the 5 day shipping with $1 digital credit, but other than that I think we might be able to do without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-27-2018, 08:57 PM
I share my membership with a BBB member and we just renewed in Feb., I've never used the other features, I'm not even sure if I can as I'm not the primary member. I don't do any subscriptions and use it for ordering gifts, most are not too time sensitive, so I could probably do without if needed or if I really needed something I have a few friends who have it who could order for me.

candaceb
04-27-2018, 09:01 PM
I live on the opposite side of town from most shopping, so I think I probably save $120 a year in gas alone. Plus the money I save by not buying other things when I go to Target for the one thing I needed.

Kindra178
04-27-2018, 10:22 PM
We may try without come November. Target has free 2 day shipping now - I trust Target way more. I have had two bad purchases on Amazon recently. One was wireless headphones I purchased from a rec here - I received wired headphones that don’t work with my phone. Another one was off brand connector pieces that don’t work with my phone.

However, if prime gets connected to a Whole Foods benefit, I will absolutely continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

IansMom
04-27-2018, 11:45 PM
We will continue. My family uses the movies and music and I make a lot of orders. I live in an area with limited shopping. We just renewed in April and my mom and sister are grandfathered in on my account and I know they order a lot especially during the holidays.