PDA

View Full Version : Boston Mamas: BLS vs Private Day

mommy111
04-27-2018, 12:51 PM
So I saw a work friend struggle with this question this year so I thought I’d ask you in anticipation of dealing with this with our son in another year.
DS is very smart, motivated, sometimes a little bit distractable and a pleasant personality where his teaches like him. We will have to decide between Boston Latin and a private day (most likely Buckingham Browne and Nichols). Any huge pluses and minuses of either that I should know about? They both seem about the same in terms of academic rigor although very different styles (both of which my son would do well with). He aims for Harvard and I’ve heard that BLS does exceptionally well with that. Financially they would both be the same for us (long story, but work pays for it).
Anything I should know in advance? Any advice? Poll posting but also please put in some comments!!

jacksmomtobe
04-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Boston Latin a public school so why would the costs be equal? Dh graduated from BB&N. When he went it was very diverse racially and economically as many kids from Cambridge attended but now it seems very un-diverse. It honestly seems like a completely different place than when he attended. I know Boston Latin is less racially diverse than Boston schools overall but I am guessing there is more economic diversity than BB&N. Since your child is interested in Harvard I would think about the pool that he would compete against within the chosen school. Though you mention that BL places a lot of kids there I would think about what it takes to be the best of the best there. My kids will attend an area public high school which is known for academic rigor so I wonder myself how you stand out in a peer group like that. I hear all the good schools that my friends ‘ children and their friends are headed to and I wonder if it is somewhat harder to get the better opportunities than if you were the top of another less competitive school.

mommy111
04-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Boston Latin a public school so why would the costs be equal? Dh graduated from BB&N. When he went it was very diverse racially and economically as many kids from Cambridge attended but now it seems very un-diverse. It honestly seems like a completely different place than when he attended. I know Boston Latin is less racially diverse than Boston schools overall but I am guessing there is more economic diversity than BB&N. Since your child is interested in Harvard I would think about the pool that he would compete against within the chosen school. Though you mention that BL places a lot of kids there I would think about what it takes to be the best of the best there. My kids will attend an area public high school which is known for academic rigor so I wonder myself how you stand out in a peer group like that. I hear all the good schools that my friends ‘ children and their friends are headed to and I wonder if it is somewhat harder to get the better opportunities than if you were the top of another less competitive school.
Thank you for your insight!! Did you mean that BLS would be harder to be distinctive in or private day. For financial reasons that I don’t want to necessarily discuss as it has to do with someone who went there prior, BB&N would be free for DS.