PDA

View Full Version : Age to drop off at an event with friends?

gamma
04-27-2018, 01:30 PM
There is a regional event, in a neighboring county, this weekend that DGS would like to attend. He is 15, a Freshman and would be meeting up with friends who attend his HS and commute from a wide area, range in age from 15-19, so some drive. I'm sure he doesn't want me trailing along with them! I would like to be there while he meets up, go over their plan and set up a meeting place and time for pick up. I would make it clear that he can not leave the Fest. He has Life360 on his phone, so I would know if he leaves. There are times where he would like to also meet up with friends at Six Flags and it would be the same scenario. Thoughts?

hillview
04-27-2018, 01:40 PM
that would be fine with me.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2018, 01:41 PM
At 15, for sure.

georgiegirl
04-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Definitely okay in high school. I wouldn’t worry with a 15 year old.

123LuckyMom
04-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Absolutely fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
04-27-2018, 02:45 PM
perfectly fine, especially if he has a phone he can text you if plans change or something came up in meantime.

BunnyBee
04-27-2018, 04:24 PM
He'd be able to drive alone in some states! I wouldn't think twice with my kid who is around that age. The one caveat would be to check the venue's age for unaccompanied minors.

JElaineB
04-27-2018, 05:20 PM
I have a 15 year old son and would have no issue with it.

mom2binsd
04-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Same here with a high school freshman. The 360 app is very helpful. Make sure he charges his phone fully before dropping off and even has a small charging battery as backup (all the snapchats etc will drain his battery).

Have a frank discussion about what he may encounter, there will be drugs most likely, it's just a fact of life. If he at all is uncomfortable, have him text you and make an excuse that something is up and he has to leave if he feels like his friends are making bad decisions.

At this age our kids have to learn how to navigate these social situations, and we have to trust that they will be ok.

HannaAddict
04-28-2018, 03:08 AM
No problem here if he hasn’t given you a reason not to trust his judgment. Remind him of expectations and be on good behavior and don’t leave with anybody and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erosenst
05-03-2018, 04:40 PM
I agree with all the prior posters - but I would reconsider your plan to discuss plans with all the kids there. At 14, DD and I discuss a pickup point before she goes/as we drop off - but I would never get out of the car/talk to her friends there. I would also discuss any rules/concerns in advance, not there.

Pear
05-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I agree with all the prior posters - but I would reconsider your plan to discuss plans with all the kids there. At 14, DD and I discuss a pickup point before she goes/as we drop off - but I would never get out of the car/talk to her friends there. I would also discuss any rules/concerns in advance, not there.

:that:

An average 15 year old does not need the hand holding and definitely doesn’t want you to do it in front of his friends.

gamma
05-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Thank you! Just the input I needed!