PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old cries a lot

Chitowngirl
04-28-2018, 07:29 PM
My DS is a sensitive kid and seems to cry more than most almost 6 year olds. One problem I don’t know how to deal with is his reaction to getting hurt. Any minor injury (think skinned knee, stubbed toe, etc) results in tears, moaning, and full on hysteria. We have tried everything we can think of, but if anything the problem is getting worse instead of better. Bandaids, ice packs,kisses, cuddles, ignoring him, distraction, noting seems to help. Does anybody me else have this problem and have any tips? It’s actually making me rather nuts. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
04-28-2018, 07:45 PM
My newly turned six year old cries all the time. He's super sensitive to almost anything. You can look at him wrong and he cries. I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't have sleep apnea because he's just so emotional, but we have known sleep issues. Maybe it's just some 6 year olds? Makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one with a child like this. I will say he used to be worse, but is getting better as he ages. His feelings always seem to get hurt. I have no solution, but do empathize with you. It's driving me nuts too!

Philly Mom
04-28-2018, 08:02 PM
I know a bunch of boys and girls who reacted the same way at the same age. I think it is normal.

For my DD, who rarely gets like that, she likes it if we go do something together. So today she fell off her bike. She was very upset. I ended up grabbing mine and we went on a bike ride. That calmed her down.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
04-28-2018, 11:12 PM
I really believe it boils down to age and emotional maturity. Ds1 was like that younger, and still is to some extent as a nearly 7 year old. However, ever since starting 1st grade, it really lessened after giving him helpful tools to self regulate better.

Couple of things that worked for us is sleep and decompression. Lots and lots of sleep and favorite activity for him to do immediately home from school for 30 minutes with his snack. It’s during that time I don’t ask him about his day, remind him of any homework, chores or practice sport game he need to go. Nothing, just him and quiet time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mackmama
04-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Sounds like there might be some emotional dysregulation. You might want to consider OT which could help with self-regulation and any potential sensory issues.

legaleagle
04-30-2018, 10:49 AM
DD (6 in a couple weeks) has recently been throwing dramatic fits over absolutely nothing. This just started so I think it's 100% her age since in general she's fairly roll with the punches type of kid. It's so annoying because it's so random what sets her off. Lack of sleep makes it much worse - we are trying to enforce earlier bedtimes but it's hard with wrangling 4 kids into bed.