PDA

View Full Version : Any good books for me for what to expect for tweens / teenagers

magnoliaparadise
04-29-2018, 04:53 AM
My DD is 10 and can't wait to be a teenager. She is asking for more and more independence.

DD talks about impending teenage-hood a lot and has been reading the American Girl tween/teen series advice books (some are called 'Smart Girls Guide', but there seem to be others by AG as well).

** Can you recommend any additional 'tween' or 'teen' advice books (or series) for my DD? She likes the AG books, but wants to read more.

** And can you recommend any great parenting or understanding tween / teen books for ME? This feels very new :)

TIA

JBaxter
04-29-2018, 07:07 AM
I've never read a parenting book so I cant recommend any ( well 1,2 3 magic in 1992 LOL) Teen years are much like the toddler years and some are easier than others my older 2 are 26&23 I'm in the middle of the moody I dont know if Im a kid or young adult phase with my 14 yr old. The only advice I give is talk to your kid. No matter how uncomfortable it is for YOU keep an open mind don't judge feelings but make sure they know they can come talk to you about anything. I've answered questions about body development about them and their girlfriends ( had to explain PMS & cramps) picked them up when they made bad choices on alcohol with out punishment listened to heart break and why they cheated on a girlfriend. They know I go through their phones texts computers etc but it works for us. We can butt heads a lot but Ive also sat on the side of a bed late nights listening.
Also BEFORE you think you need to make the offer ... I give/ gave a free pass to pick up with out punishment anytime ( happened 2x once with each older boy) if they are someplace there is alcohol being consumed and they need to come home no matter if they had been drinking or if it was getting out of hand. No questions at all.

StantonHyde
04-29-2018, 04:55 PM
I have found "Middle School Makeover" top be a great book. This is for parents.

chlobo
04-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Untangled

https://www.amazon.com/Untangled-Guiding-Teenage-Transitions-Adulthood/dp/0553393073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525089138&sr=8-1&keywords=untangledUntangled

newnana
04-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Untangled

https://www.amazon.com/Untangled-Guiding-Teenage-Transitions-Adulthood/dp/0553393073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525089138&sr=8-1&keywords=untangledUntangled

:yeahthat: For parents

cilantromapuche
04-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Untangled is the book that I hand out like candy. It seriously transformed my relationship with my daughter from aloof to we are super close now. It even helped with my son.

baymom
04-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Untangled

Thank you for the suggestion! I just put it on hold at the library for myself.

StantonHyde
04-30-2018, 05:11 PM
I couldn't get through all of the anecdotes and stories in Untangled. I need info that is straight to the point--do this, do that, vs. in stories that you read first and then digest/internalize. But that's just my learning style.