PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid question

ray7694
04-29-2018, 02:18 PM
I have been on synthroid for years and it has worked well. Recently I have been feeling super exhausted and can sleep at any time. I had it checked and my tsh was 3.38 which is higher then normal for me. My doctor upped the med but I’m not feeling any better.

My question is does an endo do anything different? TIA

Kindra178
04-29-2018, 02:57 PM
3.38 is really high. Are you on generic? I would try tirosint or Armour.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ray7694
04-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Yes generic. She increased it by .25

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Synthroid doesn’t do it for me. I take Armour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
04-29-2018, 04:34 PM
I need to be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 I think to feel good. An endo got me there. My GP would not treat anything within the range of "normal" on the blood test which is not up to date. I think normal on the blood test is between 3 and 3.5 (I don't remember specifics). I also take Synthroid and no generics. My endo told me this is one time when generics don't cut it.

magnoliaparadise
04-29-2018, 06:08 PM
You probably know this already, but the term 'normal' has been debated for years and years by endocrinologists, according to mine. The variance spread of what is considered normal is pretty large and therefore, a lot of people with pretty high numbers are seen as normal and not treated. My endocrinologist wanted to bring the number down awhile back because even though I was 'normal' by the standards, she felt it was too high on the 'normal end'. Many endocrinologists have been advocating for a change to the spread to be lower than it is now. I am speaking unscientifically and without an update in a few years, so it's possible this has changed by now, but I remember when I spoke to my endocrinologist at the time, it was all at a stand still.

minnie-zb
04-30-2018, 07:54 AM
I would go to an endocrinologist. For several years I was treated by my GP. My doctor left and I decided it was time to try an endocrinologist. What a difference. Make an appointment to see an endocrinologist.

Kindra178
04-30-2018, 10:33 AM
My current endo was shocked that my former endo used generic synthroid on me. She asked me six times, "Do you have insurance?" and "Did you express monetary concerns to her?" It's like the one drug that cannot be generic. Because generics are allowed to be off by a bit by law, and the quantity is so small to begin with, a generic thryoid replacement doesn't work! You want your tsh to be under 2.5. This is per the recs from 2013. My endo wants me at 1 or below. Even at 1.8 I don't feel well. I strongly rec you get on Tirosint (it's a liquid capsule, totally pure with no additives) or Armour.

carolinacool
04-30-2018, 10:43 AM
I recommend asking her to write it for brand Synthroid and see how that works. I've been on it for about 15 years or so. A couple of years after I started, I saw a different doc for my check-up who wrote the prescription to allow for generics. When I went back six months later, my levels were off and the first thing my PA asked was if I was taking generic. I switched back and haven't had a problem since (I'm on the lowest dosage).

You might do better on another brand, but I would definitely not continue taking generic.

cookiemonster198
04-30-2018, 09:38 PM
I took synthroid for a long time too- and felt like it stopped working for me too- I’ve been on armour for 3 years and feel like a new person on it. My tsh needs to stay around 1 for me to feel good.

My vitamin D was also critically low- took awhile to get it up but it also helped.