PDA

View Full Version : SAHMs, what do you do on the side to earn some income?

ourbabygirl
04-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Any suggestions for the best part-time, flexible jobs that can be done in evenings and on weekends, when DH is done with work for the day? I'm thinking tutoring, maybe retail (but what's the best retail gig?)?

Thanks for your help!

candaceb
04-29-2018, 05:38 PM
mystery shopping
selling on ebay - combination of stuff that I find around the house and stuff that I find on clearance and arbitrage.

hbridge
04-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Tutoring is tough unless your DC is home relatively early in the evening. I have tutored right after high school (when DC's school dismissed significantly later) and in the evenings after DH came home. It can be tough scheduling...

gcc2k
04-29-2018, 08:35 PM
I have done private tutoring now for 4 years, and it's by far the best bang for your buck. I can make $35-50/hr in cash. (I'm a former teacher.) But this works well for us because my husband is a teacher and he can schedule 2 days a week to be home by 4 so I can tutor 2 students in each of those afternoons/evenings.

I also sell anything and everything that we no longer need or use. I use Varagesale and Facebook. Today I posted all of DS2s 4T winter clothes and already have buyers lined up for about half of it. Easy $75 for a couple of hours worth of work, and I still have over $100 worth of stuff that will eventually sell. Feels good to get it all out of the house and get some money in return!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-29-2018, 08:36 PM
It depends on how old your kids are? If they are in school already, I have some SAHM friends who sub teach or work at the school as a supervisor.

Retail is hard as they really want you to be flexible and most mom's don't have that ability.

megs4413
04-29-2018, 09:22 PM
one of my friends just started driving for instacart and is doing really well.

belovedgandp
04-29-2018, 10:17 PM
I found I was better off focusing on finding ways to not spend money. Bargain shopping - being careful to only buy what is needed not just great deals. Making food plans and sticking with them. Making gifts, cards, and other items that add up quickly.

Definitely for unloading anything the kids had outgrown or aged out of. I had a favorite consignment sale twice per year when the kids were smaller. Great to unload and get good deals. Volunteering increased my percentage paid and gave me earlier access to purchase.

My DH traveled so much and had unpredictable hours. Paying an emergency babysitter even just once per month would defeat the purpose for the financial side plus we didn't have that much time together.

I wasn't willing to commit to full time childcare for others, but I was the emergency backup for about 8 different people at one point in time. Some I'd do as favors but others did pay me.

azzeps
04-30-2018, 12:00 AM
sometimes I see advertised on the school's lunch menu that you can sign up to be a substitute for the cafeteria, which would be during the school day. Maybe there are other PT jobs during the school day.

frugalmom
04-30-2018, 10:01 AM
sometimes I see advertised on the school's lunch menu that you can sign up to be a substitute for the cafeteria, which would be during the school day. Maybe there are other PT jobs during the school day.

I have a friend that does that everyday, not a sub.
Could you work in the schools?

Lots of moms I know work for VIPkid. Teaching English to kids in China.

Focus groups

Ebay and amazon selling

Dog sitting and walking

There are so many ideas to make money.

Get a blog going

Grading tests online

Here is a great list of tons of other ideas
http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/ways-to-make-money/

Green_Tea
04-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Not a SAHM (though I was for 10 years!) but I have a side gig selling Beautycounter (https://www.beautycounter.com/leeannkluskiewicz?goto=/). I never imagined that I would sell anything but the buy-in is very modest, the compensation plan is generous, and the products are fantastic - just as good if not better than what I used to buy at Nordstrom or Sephora. I don't make a million dollars, but I can totally do it on my own time. As a teacher I needed a side gig that was SUPER flexible, and this fits the bill.