PDA

View Full Version : Dog parents some questions for you

frugalmom
04-30-2018, 10:33 AM
If you have a dog come in and give me some info

How many dogs do you have?

When you leave where is your dog? Free roam of the house, outside, kennel

How long do you leave your dog home alone?

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone?

Do you have a dog walker?

How many times a year do you travel and leave your dog? What do you do with your dog at those times?
Family watches it, board at a kennel, dog watcher at your home

Is your yard fenced ?

Just tell me more about how you balance your life while taking care of your dog

Kindra178
04-30-2018, 10:35 AM
One dog.

She is crated when we are going to be gone longer than a couple of hours.

She is left home alone regularly. We have a dog walker during the week and sitter who arrives early afternoon.

We travel 3-4 times a year. The dog gets boarded.

smilequeen
04-30-2018, 11:03 AM

17 year old dog is kenneled. He has no control over his bodily functions anymore, so we have to be careful where he can roam...but he sleeps most of the time
2 year old dog can roam the house
4 month old puppy, kennel

Depends on the dog. We have a puppy so I try not to be gone more than 2-3 hours. The other 2 can go 4-5

Chew toys, sometimes food depending on if it is meal time while we are gone (and the old guy always has food because we are trying to keep his weight stable)

No. I am a SAHM so I'm usually home enough. If I have a super busy day I take them to doggie daycare (at least the younger 2) and I take them at least once a week just to socialize

How many times a year do you travel and leave your dog? What do you do with your dog at those times?

We go on two 1-2 week trips and some shorter trips. They stay in a "dog hotel" :) Same place they go to daycare.

Is your yard fenced ?

Part of our yard has a regular fence...where the pool is. We have 3 acres though, so the rest has an invisible fence.

When I'm lazy (like right now :) on here) I hang out with them. I take them for walks...the 2 year old is my hiking buddy. The kids are involved with playing and training. I just make sure I plan ahead if I need to be gone for longer than a few hours that they go to daycare or on weekends...we either run home or ask family to go let them out at least once.

wendibird22
04-30-2018, 11:08 AM

When you leave where is your dog? Crated

How long do you leave your dog home alone? Weekdays from 7:30am-4:30pm

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone? Kong with frozen PB and two different type nylabones in his crate

Do you have a dog walker? No, but we doggy daycare him once every other week.

Maybe twice a year. We kennel.

Is your yard fenced ? Yes, invisible fence

Now this is all related to our rescue dog we've had since March. With our prior dog much was the same HOWEVER once he was about 5yr old we no longer crated him during the day and he was free to roam/snooze wherever. And my mom would dogsit him when we went out of town. She's not comfortable doing that with the new dog because he's got that young dog energy (he's 1-2yr old) and strong because he's a pit mix and she doesn't think she could handle him.

niccig
04-30-2018, 11:25 AM
1 dog

Some days he’s at home, somedays he goes with DH to work. When he’s at home he has our bedroom + bathroom and goes out doggie door to pee. He used to have free range of the house, but the cat will get out the dog door. He sleeps most of the time, he sleeps when DH takes him to work. He’s a lazy dog. If he’s at hime, he’s alone from 8:30 until 4 when DS gets home.

We have a fenced yard

We swap with friends when we go away, they have our dog and we take their dog. DH has some work colleagues who love our dog and will pet sit him.

Our dog is super easy to care for, he’s very chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

StantonHyde
04-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Answers in bold:

How many dogs do you have?one, he really needs LOTS of love and doesn't want to share :-) We have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and they need, need, need people. I thought labs and Goldens needed people. Well, don't get a dog that was bred for centuries to be a lap dog if you don't want a needy dog :-) We were "gifted" this dog--family moving out of country, we knew the dog was awesome, so we took him. And he is the sweetest thing ever and we love him so much. But he is needy.

When you leave where is your dog? Free roam of the house, outside, kennels He has free roam of the house. We got him when he was 3 and perfectly potty trained. Our former dog, a Golden Retriever, had issues with thunderstorms. He went from being in a sheltered outdoor pen during the day, to being crated in the house, to having free roam of the house with a doggy door to the outside as he got older/more mature. Our current dog can't have a doggy door--he would stand outside all day and bark his fool head off. Love him, but yeesh.

How long do you leave your dog home alone On Tuesdays, he is home by himself from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm. That is too long for my taste, but he can hold his bladder etc that long. It does make him very needy, though. He needs an extra long walk and lots of play and cuddles.

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone?, Food, water. He pretty much sleeps all day

Do you have a dog walker?No, we walk him every evening. I know people with 2 parents WOHM FT and they have their dog go on hikes with a dog walking group 2-3 times a week (these folks have Golden Doodles, and some other larger mixes. I see dog hiking groups when I trail run and they are all larger dogs that really need the exercise). I think this is a good investment for everybody's sanity. With my Golden, I walked him for 20 minutes every morning and then for an hour on the trails in the evening. (when he was younger, I ran with him 2x a day for 30-45 minutes) You really need a to pick a dog that meets your family exercise needs.

Family watches it, board at a kennel, dog watcher at your h With our current dog, we have a wonderful dog sitter (who is also our uber babysitter) who comes to the house to stay with him. The Golden was a dog that would bolt during thunderstorms or loud noises--an escape artist--and I didn't want somebody to be responsible for him. So he was boarded.

Is your yard fenced fenced on 3 sides, thick hedges on top of a wall on the other. The current dog stays in just fine. The Golden figured out how to hop up on the wall and get out through the hedges. If we get another dog, we will need to fence the 4th side of the yard. I don't like invisible fences--they don't keep other dogs OUT of your property.

Just tell me more about how you balance your life while taking care of your dog Basically, the dog is part of the family and needs to be a priority. Not the same as kids, but still a priority. You really, really need to get a dog that will fit your family. At one time, Purina had this "dog matching profile" on its website--not sure if they still do and it was great. It asked lots of good questions about your lifestyle and then suggested breeds to fit that lifestyle. It's not fair to you or the dog to get a bad fit.

niccig
04-30-2018, 11:50 AM
I agree with picking dog that meets your exercise needs. When DS was a baby we had a dog that needed long run everyday. Our dog now doesn’t need walks. Running in our backyard is enough. He prefers to be lying on a blanket on a cushion on the couch. He must sleep between DH and I touching both of us. He needs lots of love.

mmsmom
04-30-2018, 12:48 PM
We have 1 dog. At 5 years old he free roams the house. He was in a crate when we left until he was around 2 years old. I SAH and DH works from home when he isn’t traveling so the dog isn’t alone often. We could leave him for 8 hours or so if needed. We have an electronic fence. We do not leave the dog outside when we are not home. When we travel we take him to a pet sitters house we found on Rover.com. We take him with us on trips when we are able.

I used to live in NYC and had a dog there. I had a dog walker that walked the dog mid-day. I walked him in the AM, after work and another quick trip out before bed. He probably would have been fine without a midday walk but a porter in my building took him out and he was cheap and I didn’t worry about working late.

I have also had a dog while working all day and did not have a dog walker. He was home alone for around 9 hours a day. I would go home to walk him at lunch if I was going to be working late.

There really are so many scenarios and if you have a dog you make it work. They are a lot of work during the puppy phase but if you put the time in to train and socialize them well then they are easier the rest of their lives. The scenario I have now that I can just open a door to let the dog in and out vs. walking him is the easiest though.

baymom
04-30-2018, 01:56 PM
We have 1 dog. She’s a 3 year old Australian Labradoodle. She joined our family a year and a half ago. Initially, she was in the crate when we left the house. For the past year, she has free roam of the house. DH and I typically WFH one day a week so she’s only alone 3 days. Of those 3, I take her to work with me about once a week — depending on my meetings. She sleeps a lot and is very well behaved so easy to bring to the office. But, she whimpers if I step away from my cube and becomes a Velcro dog, so I can’t bring her every day.

We don’t have a dog walker for the days she’s home alone. My kids get home at 3 and walk her right away. She’s walked in the morning (15-20 minutes), at 3 by the kids and then again around 6 or 7 (30-40 minutes). DH also does a quick, final pee walk right before bed. She’s easily able to be home alone from 8-3pm, and likely even longer, though we haven’t tried it. She loves other dogs. I rarely take her to the dog park, but she has some neighborhood BFFs, so we try to just get them together at least once a week to romp. It’s way better exercise then just walking with us, and we get to hang out with our neighbors.

We are away 2-3 times a year for a week at a time, plus the occasional weekend away. She stays with a Rover sitter. I don’t think she’d be happy in a traditional boarding set up, so it’s important to me that she stays in a home.

megs4413
04-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Our dog is a puppy (about six months old) so she isn't free to roam yet. She is crated when we are gone.

Since she has to be in the crate, we don't leave for more than 2-3 hours at most.

She has toys in her crate.

No

We haven't left yet, but when we do she will either stay with my mom or be boarded. We wouldn't leave her alone (again, she's a puppy)

Is your yard fenced ?
Yes

Puppies require a lot. There's training them to sleep through the night, potty training, chewing management, behavioral training and just general neediness. It will calm down in a year or so, but for now, it's mostly a full time gig.

trcy
04-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Two dogs-12 year old and 5 months old
Old dog free roam in house. Puppy is crated
Varies how long they are alone, but usually no more than 3/4 hours and that’s not often. When we both worked it was more like 8-10 hours. We didn’t have the puppy then.
Puppy gets a peanut butter Kong in her crate when I will be out for a while.
No dog walker
We maybe go out of town once a year, if that. Puppy is boarded. Neighbor watches older dog.
Yard is fenced.

ArizonaGirl
04-30-2018, 07:55 PM
If you have a dog come in and give me some info

Kennel

From 715 to 230

Nope, we have and he still just sleeps

Nope, much of the year it is too hot to walk during the day

we travel 1 to 2 times per year and if my parents aren't going they watch him. If we are going with them i hire a friend or co-worker to stay at my house.

Is your yard fenced ?
Yes

He just kind of hangs out with us...like now he is laying on the couch next to me.

We love our baby :)

dogmom
04-30-2018, 08:25 PM
I have had a total of 5 dogs over 20 years. Only one when I lived in the city and had to leash walk to go out. Usually two at a time here.

Free roam inside. Crate train as puppies, but by 6 months free range. Free range on 4.5 acres in the sense I just kick them out the door to do their business and bring them in quickly. The only dog that was an issue with was my Coonhound. Don’t get a Coonhound. (Although I loved that dog, he was a PIA mouthy dog that we nicknamed blue tick jerk hound. In fact just skip hounds. Now we have a stubborn rescue Basset Hound and a Lab. Stick with Labs.)

How long? Deepends on age. Big dogs=big bladders. Mine can go 6-8 HRs,but we don’t stress them like that. I had a dog walker when I lived on my own and did 12 hr shifts. When the lab was young my MIL came over. She still does, but mostly I think it’s to feed them “lunch”. No, they don’t need lunch. But she gives it to them and lies to me about it.

I got two. Mostly the Lab harasses the Basset Hound, who would be more than happy to sleep all day. So They entertain each other.

We board them. I used to get people to stay, but it’s easier to board.

We had an invisible fence put in for Coonhound, but he could blow through it if he wanted. Did I mention he was a jerk?

Well, it depends on the ages of the kids. When I got Coonhound I thought I wasn’t going to get pregnant, but then I did. With a 3 yo. It sort of sucked. Now I got a 11 & 15 yo, who can do a lot of dog care. We got a puppy for my son. The plan is he will take it after college. But right now I’d rather spend time with the Lab than most of the family. (It is not going to be pretty when my son comes to claim his dog.) She wants to go outside with me. Dogs live long enough and go through phases in their lives also. So it’s not a static thing. If you have young kids I would recommend an older, mellow dog that has a track record with kids. Really young kids, however I would not trust with a rescue. I had rescue puppies when my kids were toddlers so I could train dogs. My rescue Basset can be food aggressive, so he would never be good for a young child.

magnoliaparadise
04-30-2018, 08:26 PM
I grew up with a dog, but haven't had one since he died when I was in my early 20's. I have promised my kids a dog and am following this post. Thank you for starting this thread!

doberbrat
04-30-2018, 09:21 PM
How many dogs do you have? Right now, 2. We've had up to 4 at a time.

Current dogs are crated if they're alone more than a few minutes. They are super counter surfers -as in Princess jumps onto them!

How long do you leave your dog home alone? usually no more than 4h but its been up to 8/9 on rare occasions

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone? they get kongs whenever they go into their kennels

Do you have a dog walker? If I cant do it, DH walks them

Family watches it, board at a kennel, dog watcher at your home Almost Never. We drive everywhere and take them with us.

Is your yard fenced ? yes. 6ft privacy fence. And because Princess is a digger, we've put in buried chicken wire overlayed with railroad ties at the bottom.

Princess, who really should be called Pain in the A, likes neither adults nor dogs so we walk after midnight most often. Its also very quiet and peaceful. I :heartbeat: my midnight walks. 2-3x a week, I take them for a bike ride so they run 1-3mi. The rest of the time, a 1 -2mi walk is plenty for them. She's 11 and Teddy is 8 so they're out of the adolescent needs crazy amt of exercise phase.

But really, its about finding the right dog for your family- before kids, I had a doberman who was very very high energy. She could pull me on my rollerblades for 5mi rest for an hour and then be ready to go again. and she NEEDED both physical and mental exercise or she became very bratty. I had the time and desire to work with her back then. There'd be no coping with her in my current life.

frugalmom
05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone

We just rescued a 7 year old Weimaraner, so I was trying to get an idea of how people live with their dogs. It has been a week and we left her once and she did nothing, but I think she was depressed after losing her mate.

We left her last night for no more than 4 hours and she tore apart a backpack.
We left her with free roam of the house.
What should I do?
Toys or kennel?

mmsmom
05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone

We just rescued a 7 year old Weimaraner, so I was trying to get an idea of how people live with their dogs. It has been a week and we left her once and she did nothing, but I think she was depressed after losing her mate.

We left her last night for no more than 4 hours and she tore apart a backpack.
We left her with free roam of the house.
What should I do?
Toys or kennel?

Definitely crate her. It will help her to feel safe. You can give her a treat/toy in the crate. She needs time to adjust to her new home. I would crate her when you are not home for at least a month then see how she is. Some dogs will do better in a crate when they are alone their whole lives. We don’t crate our dog anymore but we still have it and leave door open. Most of the time when we come home he is in the crate. It is his safe place.

MaiseyDog
05-02-2018, 10:34 AM
How many dogs do you have? 2 dogs - a 1 year old yellow lab that is very high energy and a 4 year old black lab that is super duper calm

When you leave where is your dog? Free roam of the house, outside, kennel - Both dogs are in the backyard when we are gone for the day. We have a large covered porch where they typically hang out but they have access to the whole fenced backyard including the pool. If the temperatures are really cold (doesn't happen often) or really hot (more likely) then they stay inside. The 1 year old gets crated and the 4 year old has free reign of the master bedroom and bath ( the crate is in the bedroom). The one year old can not be trusted to be alone EVER. Heck he can't even be trusted to be in the same room with the kids and not tear something up.

How long do you leave your dog home alone? If the dogs are in the yard, we don't worry too much about how long we leave them. If they are in the house, then we try to get home as early as we can - probably by themselves about 9 hours. IF the 1 year old is in the crate all day, then he will need a really long run and lots of ball throwing or he will make everyone's life miserable. We can't crate him for two days in a row without some very intense exercise.

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone? we have lots of "toys" in the yard. They are not normal toys, but things like wheelbarrel wheels, a rolled up door mat that is zip tied, a large peice of rope, etc. the 1 year old likes to move the furniture around so I make a point to always put it back in place so he can spend some time moving it out of his way. HE can't be trusted with anything he can tear up so his toy's are strange. The 4 year old would be perfectly fine just chilling on the porch and watching the squirrels.

Do you have a dog walker? We do not now have a dog walker, but did when both dogs were puppies. 1 year old needs more exercise then just a walk and I haven't found anyone that wasn't really expensive to take him from a run or throw the ball for 30-45 minutes. He gets all his exercise in the evenings when the kids are home. DD1 runs cross country and we are lucky enough to have woods with trails behind our house. She will take him with her most days when she runs and he and I do some training in the evening as well.

How many times a year do you travel and leave your dog? What do you do with your dog at those times? We board both dogs at least once a month but more often in the fall. We have been really lucky to have a great boarding place not too far away. The dogs spend most all day in play yards and not in kennels. The dogs both love it there and come home worn out. We have not had good luck with boarding at the Vet (they spend too much time in the kennel) or with dog sitters (dont stay long enough).

Is your yard fenced ? Yes yard is fenced. IT's about 1/2 an acre plus we have a pool so a decent amount of space for the dogs to run. The 1 year old doesn't swim, but likes to stand on the step. The 4 year old will swim if we are in the pool, but doesn't swim on her own. I'm hoping to convince the 1 year old to swim this summer as it's a great way to get him some exercise.

I am now realizing the 1 year old seems like a lot of work, and he's really not, it just was a matter of us figuring out what works for us. It all incorporates into our normal day to day fairly seamlessly at this point. He's our big, goofy, fun guy as long as he gets exercise. My moto really is a tired dog is a good dog.

frugalmom
05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
How many dogs do you have? 2 dogs - a 1 year old yellow lab that is very high energy and a 4 year old black lab that is super duper calm

When you leave where is your dog? Free roam of the house, outside, kennel - Both dogs are in the backyard when we are gone for the day. We have a large covered porch where they typically hang out but they have access to the whole fenced backyard including the pool. If the temperatures are really cold (doesn't happen often) or really hot (more likely) then they stay inside. The 1 year old gets crated and the 4 year old has free reign of the master bedroom and bath ( the crate is in the bedroom). The one year old can not be trusted to be alone EVER. Heck he can't even be trusted to be in the same room with the kids and not tear something up.

How long do you leave your dog home alone? If the dogs are in the yard, we don't worry too much about how long we leave them. If they are in the house, then we try to get home as early as we can - probably by themselves about 9 hours. IF the 1 year old is in the crate all day, then he will need a really long run and lots of ball throwing or he will make everyone's life miserable. We can't crate him for two days in a row without some very intense exercise.

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone? we have lots of "toys" in the yard. They are not normal toys, but things like wheelbarrel wheels, a rolled up door mat that is zip tied, a large peice of rope, etc. the 1 year old likes to move the furniture around so I make a point to always put it back in place so he can spend some time moving it out of his way. HE can't be trusted with anything he can tear up so his toy's are strange. The 4 year old would be perfectly fine just chilling on the porch and watching the squirrels.

Do you have a dog walker? We do not now have a dog walker, but did when both dogs were puppies. 1 year old needs more exercise then just a walk and I haven't found anyone that wasn't really expensive to take him from a run or throw the ball for 30-45 minutes. He gets all his exercise in the evenings when the kids are home. DD1 runs cross country and we are lucky enough to have woods with trails behind our house. She will take him with her most days when she runs and he and I do some training in the evening as well.

How many times a year do you travel and leave your dog? What do you do with your dog at those times? We board both dogs at least once a month but more often in the fall. We have been really lucky to have a great boarding place not too far away. The dogs spend most all day in play yards and not in kennels. The dogs both love it there and come home worn out. We have not had good luck with boarding at the Vet (they spend too much time in the kennel) or with dog sitters (dont stay long enough).

Is your yard fenced ? Yes yard is fenced. IT's about 1/2 an acre plus we have a pool so a decent amount of space for the dogs to run. The 1 year old doesn't swim, but likes to stand on the step. The 4 year old will swim if we are in the pool, but doesn't swim on her own. I'm hoping to convince the 1 year old to swim this summer as it's a great way to get him some exercise.

I am now realizing the 1 year old seems like a lot of work, and he's really not, it just was a matter of us figuring out what works for us. It all incorporates into our normal day to day fairly seamlessly at this point. He's our big, goofy, fun guy as long as he gets exercise. My moto really is a tired dog is a good dog.

Ha that is my same moto for kids!

Maybe we should get our yard fenced

megs4413
05-02-2018, 01:16 PM
If you've just gotten a dog, it's natural for there to be a transitioning period. A crate will help your dog feel safe, so yes I would definitely get one. Here is an article about new adoptions:
https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/bringing-a-dog-home/tips-for-first-30-days-dog/

AnnieW625
05-02-2018, 01:26 PM
1 (17lb Doxen/Chihuahua/Terrier mix)

*Outside of home in the backyard when we aren’t home or are eating.
*free range of 1100 sq. ft. house (except for bathroom) when we are home and not eating. He still spends a lot of time outside.
*we place his crate flush with the dog door when the weather is cold so he can go in and out if needed. Most of the time he stays in the crate, but every so often he moves the crate a bit and roams around the house, but he hasn’t caused any issues.
*he is crated at night in Dd1’s bedroom; we have tried other locations in the house and he starts barking so we have always moved him back.

From 7:30 to around 5 Monday-Friday and then at random times on the weekends and on my Mondays off (every other Monday).

He has dog toys and has adopted the kids old anywhere chairs that were pretty well beat down so he lays on those a lot (they are on our patio).

Only if we aren’t going to be home in the evening after being gone all day long but that hasn’t happened in a while.

We are gone 2-3 weeks a year, and random weekends. We board him at the kennel.

Is your yard fenced ?
Yes, we have an 1/8 of an acre and have 6’ cinderblock fences (standard lot size and fence for our city and the surrounding cities)

With the the exception of living away at college and then the first two years DH and I were married we have always had a dog and it has been second nature to us. This is our first small dog though (I grew up with German Shepard mixes, and DH had everything from a Malamute to a Springer Spaniel, but our last two dogs were black labs....I consider his last dog before we were married mine as well since he got her right before we started dating) so it has been a learning experience, but there are advantages and disadvantages to him, but the more we get used to him (we have had him since Feb., 2017) the more we do like having a smaller dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
05-02-2018, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=frugalmom;4294843]If you have a dog come in and give me some info

How many dogs do you have? 1

When you leave where is your dog? Free roam of the house, outside, kennel We either crate her or leave her in the kitchen. We have a half door that blocks the rest of the house from the kitchen, so she can't get into the rest of the house and she likes to look out the back windows. If we didn't have that door, she'd be crated the whole time

How long do you leave your dog home alone? 6-8 hours. I'm a SAHM, so that usually just on a weekend day if we have something going on

Do you leave anything for them to do while you are gone? She has some toys in the kitchen, but I really think she just lays there

Do you have a dog walker? No. I only know of one person in our small town that uses one

Family watches it, board at a kennel, dog watcher at your home 3-4 times. She either stays with my parents or we board her if they aren't around. On a short weekend (less than 48 hours) we leave her home and my sister lets her hour a couple times a day

Is your yard fenced ? No

Just tell me more about how you balance your life while taking care of your dog She really isn't much work now that she's not a puppy. She runs around with the kids, barks at us if we forget to feed or water her, and climbs on the couch when she wants to snuggle./QUOTE]

arivecchi
05-03-2018, 07:42 PM
We have 3 dogs - 2 Great Danes and 1 pug.

They free roam when we’re gone. The Great Danes are 3 and 6 and the pug is 1.

They pretty much sleep when we’re gone. They do have a bin with toys and giant bones in our family room.

No dog walker. We have a doggie door and lots of acreage so they come and go. We use an invisible fence. Doggie door is closed when we’re not home.

We travel several times a year and use dog sitters when we’re gone. They will sometimes stay overnight if we’re gone awhile. We like to vacation with them and we have a second home within driving distance. They always come with us.

My husband works from home so having dogs is pretty easy. Love our setup with the doggie door and invisible fence and they do too.

They cost us lots of $$$ and my house is never clean but can’t imagine life without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk