PDA

View Full Version : Do you always get your kids’ buy in before enrolling them in camp?

jgenie
05-01-2018, 07:08 AM
My kids prefer not to do camps. They generally do one camp each summer - 2 weeks at a nature center. I am thinking about signing them up for our town camp. Minimum session is 3 weeks and they are required to swim each day. Pool is unheated and both boys will hate that part. We are considering moving them to our local public school next year and I think this would be a great way for them to meet local kids before the fall so they know at least a few kids. We have a pool so we’ve never been to our local pool. I could also buy a pool pass and try to take them to swim at the local pool but I think they’ll stick together and not meet other kids. Thoughts??

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2018, 07:35 AM
No. Not for one as long as 3 weeks. 1 week? Sure. They can tough out a week. But, I wouldn’t spring a camp on them that was 3 weeks if I had doubts. I would be more likely to sign them up for some sports or another rec program. Just visiting the pool is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
05-01-2018, 07:58 AM
I agree with PP. 3 weeks is a long time for something they won’t like. Have you asked them about the camp and told them why you think it’s a good idea? Maybe they will agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
05-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Not for a 3 week camp. I would for a one week camp though. Have you asked them? Maybe they'll surprise you and say yes! (Wishful thinking, I know). You don't have to mention the water temp ;)

Pear
05-01-2018, 08:45 AM
We use camps for child care so it is a bit different. Even with that, I only insisted on one particular week and Camp. Dd was actually interested, but it was the same week as a camp she wanted to do more. The Camp I chose was much closer to our house and saved me 2.5 hours in the car each day that the other camp would have meant.

In our area there are so many camp options that it isn’t that hard to find something to actually interest the child.

BunnyBee
05-01-2018, 09:49 AM
How old are the kids? I know friends who have registered for whatever they could for necessary child care in the summer, but I wouldn’t do an optional “fun” camp that I knew my kids would hate.

Percycat
05-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Why not just ask your kids? They may appreciate the opportunity to make friends with kids who attend their future school --- and even enjoy the opportunity to swim with friends every day. This may be an issue of how you present the opportunity....

magnoliaparadise
05-01-2018, 12:23 PM
I generally get buy in, but with a lot of encouragement on my part and I tell them that they *will* be going to camp, but have a choice of which kind :). I think I'm inclined to look for buy in the older the kids get so this is really the first year for pushing buy-in from my DD2 (6). DD2 is my kid who doesn't like camp. I try very hard to put her in camps with a friend, no matter what I think of the camps - otherwise, she has separation stuff and in general, just really.doesn't.think.camp.is.fun.

mmsmom
05-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Our rule has always been that school and swim lessons are required but beyond that they can choose their activities. Also, they can do a trial class/practice if needed but once they commit they have to finish the season/session whatever it is. If I needed for childcare it would be different. They do have to do activities and one of them must be a sport. I suggest things that work with our schedule/ budget and let them decide.

DualvansMommy
05-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Can’t see how old your kids are as generally speaking, the older they are; bit harder to get them to go “any camp” without it being specific to hold their interest.

Do they know they’ll be transferring to your public district? Maybe you can use that to explain and encourage them to go town rec camp. I was in your exact shoes last spring as we made the decision to transfer DS1 for 1st grade that fall. He was expecting to go his old school camp but I decided to sign him up with our town rec camp, so he’ll meet and make new friends for familiarly at new school that September. I spelled it all out to him and he took it to his stride much better than I’d expected.

I was so glad I did that cuz he ended up making 3 very good friends during camp. 2 out of 3 ended up being in same classroom as DS1 which definitely helped him socially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KpbS
05-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Can’t see how old your kids are as generally speaking, the older they are; bit harder to get them to go “any camp” without it being specific to hold their interest.

Do they know they’ll be transferring to your public district? Maybe you can use that to explain and encourage them to go town rec camp. I was in your exact shoes last spring as we made the decision to transfer DS1 for 1st grade that fall. He was expecting to go his old school camp but I decided to sign him up with our town rec camp, so he’ll meet and make new friends for familiarly at new school that September. I spelled it all out to him and he took it to his stride much better than I’d expected.

I was so glad I did that cuz he ended up making 3 very good friends during camp. 2 out of 3 ended up being in same classroom as DS1 which definitely helped him socially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is great. I really like this approach. And I am very pro-camp. :) I did tell my 3 they were going to a camp (ie I was signing them up) but let them choose which activities and that went fine.

ahisma
05-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Overnight, yes. Something long term, yes. A week or so at a camp that I think they'll enjoy and have some level of interest in, no.

Camps I did unilaterally this year (2 kids): Chemistry day camp, 2 science day camps, soccer day camp with his club

Camps I talked to the kid first: Overnight camp (although he's been there twice), art camp (which sort of art did he want to do), a music program that spans a month