PDA

View Full Version : Summer! What's the latest and greatest in sunblock and insect repellent?

TwoBees
05-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Time for me to start taking stock of our sunscreen supply. Last year we mostly used Coppertone Tear Free, which had a very nice concentration of Zinc but was also mixed with one of the chemical sunscreens, which aided in spreadability. DH prefers sprays, which I know are not great for kids, but he applies the sunblock most morning before camp so I also need to find something easy. What's new this year that is nice and spreadable, not too sticky, and relatively healthy for the kids?

Also...bug spray. I hate using bug spray. I always feel like I need to take a shower before going to bed after I use it. But mosquitoes and ticks are supposed to be especially bad this year, so I think we are going to have to use it. Any favorite products?

Tenasparkl
05-01-2018, 02:22 PM
We got some Super Goop sunscreen mousse in the Sephora sunscreen sampler and so far I like it. It's a little easier to apply than regular sunscreen once you get used to the odd texture.

essnce629
05-01-2018, 02:41 PM
We'll be sticking with our favorite physical sunscreens that we've used for the past several summers-- Vanicream, Blue Lizard Sensitive, TruKid, and Thinksport.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mmsmom
05-01-2018, 03:25 PM
I love Sawyer bug spray. I get it on Amazon but did see it at Target recently too.

marymoo86
05-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Super awesome sunscreen deal at Target - Picked up ThinkBaby and Blue Lizard

lizzywednesday
05-01-2018, 04:24 PM
I get the Wegmans store brand in Kids and Sport formulations.

Within the next month, they'll have a $1 off coupon for the twin-pack of spray with a sample envelope of lotion in their discount card flyers, which is usually when I buy it.

I'm partial to stick sunscreen, any stick (Wegmans is usually the most budget-friendly, though they do add a fragrance), for faces.

DD prefers lotion to spray, but I totally get the appeal of the spray for speed in a busy morning routine!!!

ETA: Last year, I bought a pocket spray of OFF! for DD to take to camp for after swim/pool time; I have Cutter in a pump spray for home use. I got the highest insecticide I could without an aerosol (I hate them) and used a coupon or Cartwheel. We'll have to get more for this year.

Ticks, and tickborne diseases, scare the living cr@p out of me!

WatchingThemGrow
05-01-2018, 05:02 PM
We love Neutrogena Pure and Free liquid for faces (and my arms) but it’s not everywhere. It’s purescreen, not helioplex.5%titanium and 3% zinc. Totally spreadable. We use a big yellow banana boat that’s tear free and 3.1 and 4% titanium and zinc as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SASM
05-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Insect repellant...parents on our travel soccer team HIGHLY RECOMMEND Victoria Secret "Amber Romance". Some parents love the spray but I, personally, cannot stand it...too strong if I am spraying it all over head to toe. HOWEVER, the body lotion is very doable scent-wise for me. It works better than wearing nothing BUT I am a no-see-um and mosquito magnet!

MSWR0319
05-01-2018, 06:43 PM
I got the Banana Boat Simply Protect to try this year. I'm not a big fan of spray, but like you said I know it won't get put on if we don't go this route. It's new this year, so no EWG yet, but it's better than most sprays I've seen.