PDA

View Full Version : Online high school geometry course?

kristenk
05-01-2018, 10:11 PM
DD and a friend have decided that they'd like to take an online geometry course over the summer. They want to get a head start for next year, when they'll actually be taking geometry. Does anyone know of anything that would work? We know about Khan Academy, but I think they want something that will take them through a whole class in a specific order, preferably with tests. (Yes, this is entirely their idea!)

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Do they want school credit for it? If so, I’d ask the school. Even if they don’t, I bet teachers would have some ideas. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kristenk
05-01-2018, 10:30 PM
No, they don’t want credit for it. They just think that going over the material in advance will make it easier in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MMMommy
05-01-2018, 10:41 PM
I'm following. Same situation. Not for credit, but to get a base knowledge.

Cuckoomamma
05-01-2018, 11:31 PM
It depends on how much you are looking to spend. Thinkwell is on the less expensive side, and Derek Owens is a bit more pricey. There are many others, but I know both of these are reputable.

Thinkwell won’t include s teacher they can interact with, but Derek Owens would be available to answer questions.

jenstring95
05-01-2018, 11:38 PM
Our middle school and junior high use a program called Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces (ALEKS). The school pays for it, so I have no idea how much it is (or even if it is available) for individual purchase. It can cover all sorts of different math levels and courses. I have been working on it lately with DS (he must do 10 topics each week for a completion grade), as it freshens my mind on things I had long since forgotten. It requires periodic assessments to determine what topics have and have not been mastered.

sariana
05-01-2018, 11:52 PM
I don't think ALEKS is available to the public. I have heard very good things about it, though.

I was wondering about Tenmarks, but it looks as though it might be for institutions only, too. I didn't look around much, though--might be worth a peek.

JBaxter
05-02-2018, 05:43 AM
DS3 is taking geometry online right now. Its for credit and was an option through is school. It stared mid March and will end in July. We have a virtual school option in our state and it is done through that program. He is in a very intense gifted school and it was an option to free his schedule up for next year in 9th grade. He likes it and is doing well and free! He will enter 9th grade with 4 high school classes completed.

klwa
05-02-2018, 06:28 AM
DS3 is taking geometry online right now. Its for credit and was an option through is school. It stared mid March and will end in July. We have a virtual school option in our state and it is done through that program. He is in a very intense gifted school and it was an option to free his schedule up for next year in 9th grade. He likes it and is doing well and free! He will enter 9th grade with 4 high school classes completed.

I think the virtual public high school option might be great if you have such a thing in your state. I just looked at the NC one and saw that the equivalent of Geometry is offered this summer. But I also agree that your own high school guidance office may have better ideas of what's available in your area.

mom2ethan
05-02-2018, 09:34 AM
I don't think ALEKS is available to the public. I have heard very good things about it, though.

I was wondering about Tenmarks, but it looks as though it might be for institutions only, too. I didn't look around much, though--might be worth a peek.

ALEKS is available to the public. There are options to pay by month ($20) or for 6 or 12 months. My kids used it through their school in the past, and over the summer I purchased a couple months for each so they could review and work ahead. I think it's a great option.

sariana
05-02-2018, 10:53 AM
ALEKS is available to the public. There are options to pay by month ($20) or for 6 or 12 months. My kids used it through their school in the past, and over the summer I purchased a couple months for each so they could review and work ahead. I think it's a great option.

Oh, that's good to know! From what I've heard about it, I think it's worth looking into.