PDA

View Full Version : ADHD Accommodations for High School? For smart kids?

bisous
05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm going into a 504ish type meeting with our current school that they say will help our accommodations next year in High School. (I think they are incorrect about how they are interpreting the statute but this is what I'm being asked to do.)

I feel like in order for DS1 to be successful, he needs some additional help. What have you been successful in getting put in place for your child with ADHD? In your experience, was it more difficult to get accommodations for High School as opposed to Middle or Elementary? What about for kids who are pretty successful anyway? Has there been any pushback?

I would like for him to be able to check in with a resource teacher I think. Ideally I'd like someone to make sure that he has all his materials but also that he understands what is expected of him for an assignment. That's been a major issue this year and communicating directly with a teacher has been disastrous.

I'd LOVE to hear all your experiences and opinions. My meeting is tomorrow!

THANK YOU!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2018, 10:33 AM
This site has a lot of resources for ADHD parents. https://www.additudemag.com

They offer a lot of webinars that you can join while they're happening, or replay later. Here's one that may help: https://www.additudemag.com/webinar/high-school-prep-teens-with-adhd/

Also, if you search the site, they have hints on what to ask for in IEP meetings. If he's never been found eligible for services, he has to do that first. Maybe that's what this meeting you're attending is for? If he has an ADHD diagnosis, bring it in writing to the eligibility meeting.

Good luck.

sariana
05-03-2018, 10:33 AM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is finding a way to make sure he isn't subject to a "no late work accepted" policy. I've found that fewer teachers are doing this anyway, but some are still out there. Such a policy is disastrous for ADHD kids like yours and mine, who do the work and for a whole variety of reasons fail to turn it in on time. I don't know if this would fall under a time accommodation or something else.

I know my son benefits from being able to leave class for a "cool down walk" sometimes. So far his teachers have just worked out a policy on their own, but for high school it might be good to have it in writing.

I need to think about these things, too, but we're moving. We haven't closed on the house yet, so I can't register my kids yet. My son has an IEP because of other diagnoses, and I need to think about what his needs are going to be in 9th grade. And where I won't know anyone. (I already knew the MS principal before he became my son's principal. I won't have that advantage anymore.)

Kindra178
05-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Around here, kids might get an extra study hall in lieu of foreign language.

willow33
05-03-2018, 10:40 AM
My freshman son goes to the "tutoring center" in place of his regular study period. This has been amazing as the teacher in that room keeps him on track, makes him use his assignment notebook or app and she knows what assignments/tests/quizzes that are coming up as she is in contact with his teachers. He is in mostly honors courses and gets mostly As and Bs, but he has a lot of trouble staying on track, procrastinating and finishing all his homework. I didn't even know about this option until I met with his guidance counselor earlier this year, but maybe there is something like that in your high school?

niccig
05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
My friend had an accommodation that teachers are to ask her son to hand in assignments. She said she calls the counselor when he has missing assignments listed as that means teacher isn’t following the accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
I've never known a high school that had a "study period." I always took optional zero period just to fit in all my classes. Who has time for a study period?

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2018, 11:45 AM
No study halls at our school either. Heck, my 10th grader gave up lunch so he could take another elective.

We asked for a set of class text books for home so no worries about being unable to do the work because books were forgotten.

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:51 AM
This site has a lot of resources for ADHD parents. https://www.additudemag.com

They offer a lot of webinars that you can join while they're happening, or replay later. Here's one that may help: https://www.additudemag.com/webinar/high-school-prep-teens-with-adhd/

Also, if you search the site, they have hints on what to ask for in IEP meetings. If he's never been found eligible for services, he has to do that first. Maybe that's what this meeting you're attending is for? If he has an ADHD diagnosis, bring it in writing to the eligibility meeting.

Good luck.

Thank you. I LOVE the seminars. I'm behind. There is so much good info there. I've brought their lists with me to the 504 meetings and some of the suggestions were met with scorn, unfortunately. I guess I'm trying to figure out what others have been successful in getting in high school but I agree that this is the right place to start. I will be visiting this site for sure as I try to prepare!

And yes to the reminder to bring his diagnosis. The current school has a copy of the diagnosis by his psychiatrist but having that is kind of like having a golden ticket. Then it isn't just my word versus theirs.

I'm looking for accommodations for a 504 but some of the things listed hear might require an IEP? I gotta tease it out. ADDitude magazine is probably the right place to sort through that.

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:53 AM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is finding a way to make sure he isn't subject to a "no late work accepted" policy. I've found that fewer teachers are doing this anyway, but some are still out there. Such a policy is disastrous for ADHD kids like yours and mine, who do the work and for a whole variety of reasons fail to turn it in on time. I don't know if this would fall under a time accommodation or something else.

I know my son benefits from being able to leave class for a "cool down walk" sometimes. So far his teachers have just worked out a policy on their own, but for high school it might be good to have it in writing.

I need to think about these things, too, but we're moving. We haven't closed on the house yet, so I can't register my kids yet. My son has an IEP because of other diagnoses, and I need to think about what his needs are going to be in 9th grade. And where I won't know anyone. (I already knew the MS principal before he became my son's principal. I won't have that advantage anymore.)

Bingo. That's why he has a D in English. Simple. I haven't pushed it, because the teacher is highly unorganized and frankly I'm not sure she'll stay at the school and it is only middle school but now I wish I had put that in place. The reason he has a D is quite simply that she will not accept work even one day late and yeah, it is a disaster.

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Around here, kids might get an extra study hall in lieu of foreign language.

I think he might have room in his schedule for study hall without dropping a foreign language. BUT I'm not sure he'd use it wisely unless he was WITH someone (like a resource teacher or counselor). But it is good to know that this is a not to uncommon solution!

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
My freshman son goes to the "tutoring center" in place of his regular study period. This has been amazing as the teacher in that room keeps him on track, makes him use his assignment notebook or app and she knows what assignments/tests/quizzes that are coming up as she is in contact with his teachers. He is in mostly honors courses and gets mostly As and Bs, but he has a lot of trouble staying on track, procrastinating and finishing all his homework. I didn't even know about this option until I met with his guidance counselor earlier this year, but maybe there is something like that in your high school?

Yes, a tutoring center would work really well. I'll inquire about that. Sounds like your DS is very similar to mine. I'm glad to know this has been successful for him!

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:57 AM
My friend had an accommodation that teachers are to ask her son to hand in assignments. She said she calls the counselor when he has missing assignments listed as that means teacher isn’t following the accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I think in the middle school they do ask him but it would be good to have that in writing. Otherwise I can absolutely see him having an assignment and not turning it in. Absences are disastrous for us because I'll make him collect and do all the work--but then he doesn't turn it IN on time. One of his current low grades is partly because he missed a day for an endocrinologist appointment. He's not supposed to be penalized for missing stuff related to his diabetes. I'll have to see how we can work on that one.

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:58 AM
I've never known a high school that had a "study period." I always took optional zero period just to fit in all my classes. Who has time for a study period?

This school is weird and might actually allow for that. They've switched to a "trimester" system so that it is possible to take 15 classes per year instead of 12. A friend who is there finds that oftentimes they just get study hall because the school isn't organized enough to place kids in an actual needed class. (I have a lot of concerns about this school--Might be writing another post about it soon!)

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:59 AM
No study halls at our school either. Heck, my 10th grader gave up lunch so he could take another elective.

We asked for a set of class text books for home so no worries about being unable to do the work because books were forgotten.

The text book thing is genius. He's well set up right now but that would be super important going forward.

essnce629
05-03-2018, 12:27 PM
I've never known a high school that had a "study period." I always took optional zero period just to fit in all my classes. Who has time for a study period?Pretty much every private high school out here has "free periods" where students don't have class and can use it to study, get homework done, socialize, etc. DS1 has a free period multiple times a week plus an hour lunch every day. This allows him to get all his homework done at school. His school is also on a trimester schedule instead of the traditional semester schedule. This allows for more electives, art, PE, etc. This year DS1 (9th grade) has been able to take 3 trimesters of PE, 2 trimesters of Stagecraft, 1 trimester of Human Development, and 1 trimester of CPR/First Aid in addition to all his core classes. Seems better than my high school experience where I only had room for core classes and 8 religious classes (private Catholic HS). I never once took a fun art or elective class and never had a free period.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

o_mom
05-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Our HS full of overacheivers actually had to schedule a specific time in the day where no one is allowed to have classes. Teachers are available and can answer questions, etc. and they can make up work, meet with counselors, use the media center or computer lab, and so on. They had too many parents/students taking extra classes to get ahead and leaving no time to support them.

Jeanne
05-03-2018, 02:48 PM

HS's with block scheduling allow for a free period or two each day so that kids can make up tests, get additional teacher help, do homework, work on group projects, etc...

bisous
05-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Thank you all. These suggestions are completely along the lines of something that DS1 needs. It is making me feel a little bit better about asking for them and a little bit better about his upcoming high school experience!

calebsmama03
05-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Ours REQUIRES it for all Freshman unless they are in G/T track and get an exemption from the counselor. I never once had a study hall and also took extra hours in HS so it kind of kills me but I recognize my kid is very different than I am and can't handle the academics.

To the OP, yes to additional time on assignments. Also things like specific seating can be helpful. Our school would not put into place anything that required the teachers to ask for assignments before counting them missing (I asked for it!) nor would they allow for shortened assignments (they claimed that was a "modification" and required and IEP, vs an accommodation on a 504). They were stingy on what they'd do. Max of one extra day to turn on work. Rather useless since the teachers often don't input assignments into the grade book until weeks later so by then it is too late. Example - my son is a fantastic guitar player and is taking an advanced guitar class as an elective. Should be an easy and stress-free A. I noticed missing playing tests last week from 3-4 weeks ago. They just showed up this past week but when I had DS ask about making them up he was told the teacher has a 2 week policy and these were too late. He was allowed to make one up that was more recent, but he only got half credit for it. :( Had the missings been inputted at the time I could have had him fix it but now it's too late. And apparently they were missing because DS just forgot to go up and play. Not sure how that happened, but seems to me the teacher, knowing DS is always working on something for his private teacher, could have said, "Hey, DS! Get up here and play your song test." Annoying! Same with math. Missing stuff gets input too late for me to see it (or him to see it and be reminded). THeir argument is he should know his assignments are due. Yes, but this is a kid with multiple issues and exec function problems. *Should* doesn't always equal *does*. It's a hard line to tread parenting a kid in HS with ADHD! You want them to succeed and have the tools to do so but OTOH they need to get their *&^% together now and start recognizing that the real world doesn't give accommodations. How much hand-holding is too much? :(

bisous
05-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Ours REQUIRES it for all Freshman unless they are in G/T track and get an exemption from the counselor. I never once had a study hall and also took extra hours in HS so it kind of kills me but I recognize my kid is very different than I am and can't handle the academics.

To the OP, yes to additional time on assignments. Also things like specific seating can be helpful. Our school would not put into place anything that required the teachers to ask for assignments before counting them missing (I asked for it!) nor would they allow for shortened assignments (they claimed that was a "modification" and required and IEP, vs an accommodation on a 504). They were stingy on what they'd do. Max of one extra day to turn on work. Rather useless since the teachers often don't input assignments into the grade book until weeks later so by then it is too late. Example - my son is a fantastic guitar player and is taking an advanced guitar class as an elective. Should be an easy and stress-free A. I noticed missing playing tests last week from 3-4 weeks ago. They just showed up this past week but when I had DS ask about making them up he was told the teacher has a 2 week policy and these were too late. He was allowed to make one up that was more recent, but he only got half credit for it. :( Had the missings been inputted at the time I could have had him fix it but now it's too late. And apparently they were missing because DS just forgot to go up and play. Not sure how that happened, but seems to me the teacher, knowing DS is always working on something for his private teacher, could have said, "Hey, DS! Get up here and play your song test." Annoying! Same with math. Missing stuff gets input too late for me to see it (or him to see it and be reminded). THeir argument is he should know his assignments are due. Yes, but this is a kid with multiple issues and exec function problems. *Should* doesn't always equal *does*. It's a hard line to tread parenting a kid in HS with ADHD! You want them to succeed and have the tools to do so but OTOH they need to get their *&^% together now and start recognizing that the real world doesn't give accommodations. How much hand-holding is too much? :(

I can 100% see this exact scenario playing out with my current school and my kid. Ugh. I’ve so been there. This is what I’m hoping to avoid but kind you I rather expect that I will be denied these accommodations. I gotta battle. It’s exhausting!

westwoodmom04
05-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Our HS full of overacheivers actually had to schedule a specific time in the day where no one is allowed to have classes. Teachers are available and can answer questions, etc. and they can make up work, meet with counselors, use the media center or computer lab, and so on. They had too many parents/students taking extra classes to get ahead and leaving no time to support them.

My kids go to private school, but they have a 10 day schedule with different length classes. It actually works really well. They also get study halls and teacher appointment periods starting in middle school. TAPs are every day, but study halls are only a few times over the 10 day cycle.

ezcc
05-04-2018, 01:39 PM
I had study hall (or free periods) at my private school, and my ds has them now. His day is long- athletics are required at his school and he isn't done until 6 pm at the very earliest, later if he has a game. Study hall is the only way he could survive! It's nice because not only can he get work done, he has the opportunity to meet with a teacher, take a makeup test/quiz etc.

vonfirmath
05-04-2018, 02:41 PM
The text book thing is genius. He's well set up right now but that would be super important going forward.

Our middle school has this as an option for everyone. They are trying to reduce the amount of stuff the kids carry around. You can go in at the beginning of the year and check out your kids' books to keep at home. (or whichever of them you think you'll need at home) and then they have a class set they use in class as well. At the end of the year, you have to turn them back in. There will be costs for losing books, etc.