PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to wear under skirts for coverage.

WitMom
05-29-2018, 04:30 PM
I have beefy thighs. Shorts never work very well for me because the leg openings are always too tight for my beef lol. I'm going to try to get some knee length skirts this summer instead. My question- what do i wear underneath so I don't have to worry about wind blow-ups or flashing someone when i bend over?

SnuggleBuggles
05-29-2018, 04:41 PM
I honestly never worried about that. I used to wear skirts every day in the summer. Now I’m an Athleta skort devotee. I just like the look of them. Have you considered those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
I wear Jockey slipshorts under skirts. I think I have the Target version. They're really stretchy and comfortable but keep me decent while rescuing a toddler from the top of playground equipment. I also have a few skorts but like the ability to wear regular skirts too.

candaceb
05-29-2018, 07:15 PM
I only buy skorts for daily wear.

niccig
05-29-2018, 08:08 PM
I have some nike compression shorts, like bike pants. I wear them under skirt/dress so no flashing or chaffing

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

WitMom
05-29-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm not opposed to skorts- I just can never find them. I just checked out Athleta, and most of the ones that i think would work (a-line or flared) for my body shape are sold out in my size. Ugh! Any other place I should look?

SnuggleBuggles
05-29-2018, 08:24 PM
eBay. :) I can often find Athleta skirts there.
Title Nine is good too.

Green_Tea
05-29-2018, 08:47 PM
I wear Jockey slipshorts under skirts. I think I have the Target version. They're really stretchy and comfortable but keep me decent while rescuing a toddler from the top of playground equipment. I also have a few skorts but like the ability to wear regular skirts too.

This - the Jockey slipshorts will make any skirt a skort. I have beefy thighs as well, and cannot wear any of the Athleta or Title 9 skorts comfortably because the shorts are all too short for my <ample> thighs - they ride up uncomfortably, and I chafe. :( It's a shame because they are SO cute, but the Jockey slipshorts are definitely a game changer!

https://www.amazon.com/Jockey-Womens-Underwear-Skimmies-Slipshort/dp/B01N1UJTIB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527641242&sr=8-1&keywords=jockey+slip+shorts

RiverRat
05-29-2018, 09:12 PM
This - the Jockey slipshorts will make any skirt a skort. I have beefy thighs as well, and cannot wear any of the Athleta or Title 9 skorts comfortably because the shorts are all too short for my <ample> thighs - they ride up uncomfortably, and I chafe. :( It's a shame because they are SO cute, but the Jockey slipshorts are definitely a game changer!

https://www.amazon.com/Jockey-Womens-Underwear-Skimmies-Slipshort/dp/B01N1UJTIB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527641242&sr=8-1&keywords=jockey+slip+shorts

This 100%!! I also like the jockey shorts because they aren’t too hot. I’ve had “slimming” compression like shorts in the past and I find they get way too hot. OP I would advise going somewhere to try them on. I’ve seen a few different versions of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

StantonHyde
05-29-2018, 10:59 PM
I have tried Nike shorts and Lands End shorts and Jockey boy shorts. Then I tried the Armachillo instaskort undershorts from Duluth Trading Company. so niiiicccee... They don't roll up like the other ones do, they breathe really well, are really light. I even wear them under dress pants. I can't stand underwear--it always rides up or gives panty lines and there is no way in anything that I am wearing a thong. These undershorts are so awesome. I wear knee length or shorter skirts and dresses a lot in the summer. I love these things!!

WitMom
05-30-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm going to order some Jockey slip shorts (with free returns) on Amazon and see how they go. I'll definitely check out Duluth Trading Company. They are almost "local" to me!

I also found these- they miraculously popped up in my Pinterest feed....hmmmm. I have no experience with them, but just sharing for anyone that is following along.

https://www.undersummers.com

candaceb
05-30-2018, 05:04 PM
I'm not opposed to skorts- I just can never find them. I just checked out Athleta, and most of the ones that i think would work (a-line or flared) for my body shape are sold out in my size. Ugh! Any other place I should look?

Kohl's has tons of skorts. They had them at Costco but I think they're mostly gone now at my store.

ang79
05-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Kohl's has tons of skorts. They had them at Costco but I think they're mostly gone now at my store.

I have two of the Tek Gear skorts with pockets and drawstring waist and just ordered a different Tek Gear style to try.

AnnieW625
05-30-2018, 05:47 PM
I love the Spanx power shorts that come down to just above the knees. I get mine at Nordstrom.

cagey
05-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Nike 5” dry shorts. They contain vs compress and never roll up even on my size 14 thighs. Buy one size larger than you think you need. Kohl’s use to carry these (might still do? But haven’t been to a Kohl’s recently)

jam224
05-31-2018, 10:05 PM
Soma smoothing shorts!

Percycat
06-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Christopher Banks has a lot of skorts.

WitMom
06-02-2018, 08:53 AM
You guys are all geniuses! So many options to try. Thanks everyone!

pastrygirl
06-04-2018, 08:27 AM
I was going to post asking about this, too! I’m back to hating shorts, and BodyGlide doesn’t stop the chafing enough when I wear a skirt. I was thinking about looking for very thin bike shorts but wasn’t sure where to start.

HannaAddict
06-05-2018, 06:02 AM
I wear underwear and have yet to worry about wind up my skirt or flashing anyone and I wear skirts above the knee. Can’t imagine shorts as an adult under a skirt for regular wear. I travel with skirts and dresses and walk for miles with no issues. I don’t know anyone IRL who has ever mentioned or noticed earring shorts and we are active. Is this a real problem or more a theoretical concern? Honestly, I’m surprised so many people wear shorts style under skirts!

candaceb
06-05-2018, 09:08 AM
I wear underwear and have yet to worry about wind up my skirt or flashing anyone and I wear skirts above the knee. Can’t imagine shorts as an adult under a skirt for regular wear. I travel with skirts and dresses and walk for miles with no issues. I don’t know anyone IRL who has ever mentioned or noticed earring shorts and we are active. Is this a real problem or more a theoretical concern? Honestly, I’m surprised so many people wear shorts style under skirts!

Clearly
a) you don't have little kids
b) you don't have experience with "chub rub"
c) you live in a different world than the rest of us :ROTFLMAO:

legaleagle
06-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Once I had kids I started wearing skorts all the time and now it feels weird not to wear shorts (or tights, if it's winter) underneath.

OP - I bought these cotton ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182NVERE/ a few years ago and they're comfy. I've lost weight so they aren't quite as fitted so now I mostly wear them as pjs.

StantonHyde
06-05-2018, 11:02 PM

If you look at Athleta, Title 9, etc skorts are all the rage. They are great when you are active, running errands etc because you don't have to worry about flashing people. Women here bike commute in dresses, run around playgrounds with kids, etc. I have always worn shorts under skirts since having kids. So much more comfortable than underwear and I can sit criss cross apple sauce in the park!

lizzywednesday
06-07-2018, 06:16 PM
... BodyGlide doesn’t stop the chafing enough when I wear a skirt. ...

Forget BodyGlide; use the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel (http://www.monistat.com/vaginal-complete-care/chafing-relief-powder-gel?gclid=CjwKCAjwr-PYBRB8EiwALtjbzwQooEbUB_ODjszKrTh7WAQWLqDPc7PWcb94 H_8QXAo1uH9LrNgycBoCfB4QAvD_BwE).

I seriously cried when the tube I'd purchased in AZ ran out.

AnnieW625
06-08-2018, 12:17 AM
Clearly

OMG! This is so funny!

I don’t have little kids anymore, but still swear by shorts....I used to be addicted to slips and nylons until they became out of style.

I look so much slimmer when I wear slimmer style shorts underneath a dress; it just holds everything in and I love them. I end up regretting when I don’t wear them.

I love Colorado Clothing skorts.

I have been dealing with chub rub since I was 11 or 12.

I am not going to answer #3.

Thanks for the Monistat recommendation. I have never thought to use that.

HannaAddict
06-08-2018, 03:01 AM
If you look at Athleta, Title 9, etc skorts are all the rage. They are great when you are active, running errands etc because you don't have to worry about flashing people. Women here bike commute in dresses, run around playgrounds with kids, etc. I have always worn shorts under skirts since having kids. So much more comfortable than underwear and I can sit criss cross apple sauce in the park!

People here wear Athleta or similar style for sports, casual tennis not at a club. They are not something moms wear to run errands, never see skorts on adult women. Plenty of leggings and yoga pants athleisure wear. Bikers are wearing something made for biking, pants, don’t see skirts.

HannaAddict
06-08-2018, 03:06 AM
Clearly

Mother of three, youngest is in second grade, and have spent plenty of time at the park or playground. I don’t have “chub rub,” and finally, from many posts on this board, I clearly live in a bubble, and not a suburban one. But shorts under skirts for regular wear seems so odd and not a part of our communities mom-wear.

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2018, 08:02 AM
People here wear Athleta or similar style for sports, casual tennis not at a club. They are not something moms wear to run errands, never see skorts on adult women. Plenty of leggings and yoga pants athleisure wear. Bikers are wearing something made for biking, pants, don’t see skirts.

Guess I’ll look like a tourist on my visit when I wear my Athleta skorts. No problem there. I doubt anyone will know they aren’t just skirts anyway. Ah, but I see, no skirts either?? eta- highly doubt that anyone would ID this as a skort (currently one of my faves) https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1077307&pcid=86354&vid=1&pid=211382032

ged
06-08-2018, 12:47 PM
well, add me to the small group that wasn't aware of this. But I can definitely see how it would be more slimming to wear "shorts" under a skirt. So to clarify, you all mean something like a Spanx type thing? And then do you wear underwear as well? It just seems so hot!

essnce629
06-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAdd me to the club that has never heard of women wearing shorts under skirts on a regular basis! I could see Spanx for a special occasion, but would never think to wear something similar for casual wear. But then again, I live in jeans and shorts when it's hot. I own one skirt that I've worn once in Mexico! Maybe I need a skort! [emoji23] SnuggleBuggles I like the one you posted!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

essnce629
06-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSame here. Pretty much every woman I see out and about is wearing leggings or yoga pants.

AnnieW625
06-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Same here. Pretty much every woman I see out and about is wearing leggings or yoga pants.

Wow! And it gets even hotter where you are vs. where I am (5 or so miles inland from Long Beach coast). I love skorts or Athleta metro shorts in the summer especially when I want something other than regular shorts.

If I am wearing a dress to church, a party or work (I wear a lot of these Boden Casual Jersey Dress (http://m.bodenusa.com/en-us/womens-dresses/day-dresses/j0118-dbl/womens-mariner-blue-scattered-lemon-casual-jersey-dress?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Women%3EDresses%3EDayDresses-_-J0118&istCompanyId=654c6563-344a-4fb0-9b32-3ddc2d0f96b4&istItemId=-xaqlialmrt&istBid=t&_cclid=v3_00924416-0cc2-5e81-9ae4-aca4c5c371d4&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt8WizMVaCenQ3Gs8mxo6 Zlme_klJC7kXYMK8MWg3Bdiy4-70pduEmhoCE3IQAvD_BwE)) I find wearing the shorts underneath my dress to be no hotter than wearing a tunic over leggings.

This is the Spanx Power Panty (https://www.spanx.com/power-panty?&camp=kw=AgencyWithin_Shopping_Brand&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt5L1dsE5cuM-6Jebu8--uZ6tkZQSq5yTm4r4-0Ao-o9cNXT7KZF-5RoCbBgQAvD_BwE) I wear.

bcafe
06-08-2018, 09:25 PM
I have lots of jersey skirts that are above the knee, although only slightly, and I don't wear shorts underneath them. I don't worry about it.

Green_Tea
06-08-2018, 10:34 PM
There is absolutely no way I could comfortably wear a skirt without some sort of slip short (like the Jockey ones mentioned upstream). If you have thighs that don’t rub together and create an unholy amount of chafing, consider yourself #blessed. My thighs could start a goddamn fire.

Also, how would you ever know if someone is wearing a skort vs a regular skirt? Or bike shorts? It’s not like they show. That’s the whole point.

georgiegirl
06-08-2018, 11:17 PM
I’ve never heard of adults wearing shorts under skirts either. I do have a couple of athleta skorts. This one is my favorite. It’s very sporty.

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1077307&pcid=86354&vid=1&pid=211061002

But in general, I don’t wear skirts much at all. Or skorts that often. Maybe once a week in the summer. Skirts just aren’t very flattering on me. When it’s hot, I’m more of a distressed jean shorts sort of girl. And I’m lucky not to have chub rub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ellies mom
06-08-2018, 11:24 PM
I wear skirts all the time. I wear bike style shorts to prevent chafing. That is the only reason. You can’t tell I’m wearing them.

specialp
06-09-2018, 09:49 AM
I wear a lot of skirts and never any shorts under them, but ...

Also, how would you ever know if someone is wearing a skort vs a regular skirt? Or bike shorts? It’s not like they show. That’s the whole point.

this is how I feel. I wouldn't know who did or didn't. You do what works for you.

StantonHyde
06-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Yes when I talk about people wearing skorts etc, I mean the longer lengths-looks like a skirt, just has shorts underneath. Or we are wearing dresses that are shorter--like Title 9--and you wear shorts under that. This isn't to go out to a club. This is running around doing errands and going to the Farmers Market type of stuff. Salt Lake City is a very casual place. In the winter, people wear yoga pants. But in the summer it is just too dang hot.

I wear shorts under my dresses in the summer at work because they are sooooo much more comfortable than underwear. I would wear Spanx but they are long and hit a sensitive part on my hamstrings. So tight fitting shorts are comfy for me. They have to wick and be cool. I love my new ones from Duluth Trading Company--thanks BBB!!!!!!!

BunnyBee
06-10-2018, 10:45 AM
There is absolutely no way I could comfortably wear a skirt without some sort of slip short (like the Jockey ones mentioned upstream). If you have thighs that don’t rub together and create an unholy amount of chafing, consider yourself #blessed. My thighs could start a goddamn fire.

Amen! Also a fire starter.

At the start of the 10am baseball game, the real feel with humidity was upper 90s. No one is in yoga pants here from May-early October unless they’re some kind of masochist. There are some tennis outfits, some shorts, some capris (mostly grandmas), and I’m wearing old navy cropped linen type pants. I have no idea what type of undergarments anyone is wearing. My teen daughter is the one who introduced me to the Jockey type shorts when I got a fit and flare dress and said I felt like my butt was exposed. I was wearing it to something downtown where the wind can whip up between buildings. She said “everyone” wears them under that style dress. I’m hooked and will wear them under longer dresses too and skip the chafing gel. Definitely need to order the Duluth Trading version as an upgrade to the Target Jockey knockoffs. It’s technically more fabric than panties but feels better to me!

DualvansMommy
06-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Same for me. I’m a mom of 2 young kids and it just isn’t done around here. It just sound so hot and uncomfortable to wear another item of clothing underneath skirts. Only thing I can think of is for biking groups as I live near gorgeous scenery for casual biking.

AnnieW625
06-10-2018, 12:38 PM
I don’t wear knee length skirts or dresses unless I am going to a party, work, or church so yes I don’t mind wearing a slimmer short then. I can’t imagine wearing a skirt or dress to my kids outdoor athletic event or the park in hot weather to begin with. My skort is mid thigh length. I don’t wear long yoga style pants if the weather is hot.

athompson
06-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Clearly

:bighand:

BunnyBee
06-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Same for me. I’m a mom of 2 young kids and it just isn’t done around here. It just sound so hot and uncomfortable to wear another item of clothing underneath skirts. Only thing I can think of is for biking groups as I live near gorgeous scenery for casual biking.

They're a couple of inches longer than boy short style panties. Similar to men wearing boxer briefs instead of tighty whities.

StantonHyde
06-11-2018, 01:24 AM
I am referring to women biking to work, not biking for fitness. I bike for fitness/train for triathlons and I wear padded bike shorts. But we have a university in our town--lots of people bike commute. And I see plenty of skirts. Not tons, but they are there. Actually a "fan favorite" is a lawyer who commutes to downtown on his unicycle whilst wearing a bowtie :boogie:

As for wearing skirts--even with the compression underwear underneath, they are way cooler than wearing shorts!!! It's all about material. I checked the T-9 site--anything more than 16" is fair game--e.g. long enough to wear in company vs. wearing only to run.