PDA

View Full Version : When does back to school sale season start?

calebsmama03
07-16-2018, 11:10 AM
We have a little time still but there are several charities I'd like to do the "fill a backpack" for and can do more with good sales. ;) Anything good yet?

Also I feel like at one point there was a blog or spreadsheet somewhere with price points to watch for and stock up. Anyone have a link or remember the target prices for stock up on basics?

vonfirmath
07-16-2018, 01:14 PM
NOW.
The supplies are in the store NOW and at great prices. I purchased supplies for backpacks for my kids in Honduras just over a week ago. Both Dollar Tree and Wal-mart were stocked. 25 cent notebooks, crazy-art crayons. 2 for $1 Scissors. Etc.

Our VBS will be collecting backpacks and supplies next week (July 23)

calebsmama03
07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
NOW.
The supplies are in the store NOW and at great prices. I purchased supplies for backpacks for my kids in Honduras just over a week ago. Both Dollar Tree and Wal-mart were stocked. 25 cent notebooks, crazy-art crayons. 2 for $1 Scissors. Etc.

Our VBS will be collecting backpacks and supplies next week (July 23)

Really?! I've seen supplies in stores but just at typical prices, nothing great yet. And out backpacks are due the 20th.

TwoBees
07-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Yep. Target has already put it their back to school stuff. I’m sure Walmart has too.

vonfirmath
07-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Really?! I've seen supplies in stores but just at typical prices, nothing great yet. And out backpacks are due the 20th.

Other people on my Sponsor group says OfficeMax has 1 cent deals? I don't know because it isn't worth it for me to go to that many stores.

doberbrat
07-16-2018, 02:10 PM
I was just going to post the same thing!! I just went to Walgreens and didnt see much of any sort of sale. Even the display section seemed smaller than usual.

Twin Mom
07-16-2018, 04:06 PM
It depends on when school starts where you live. School starts 8/6 here so the deals have already started. If your school starts later I would imagine deals start later too.

vonfirmath
07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
It depends on when school starts where you live. School starts 8/6 here so the deals have already started. If your school starts later I would imagine deals start later too.

Ah. School starts August 16 here.

TwoBees
07-17-2018, 12:30 PM

And yet, school doesn't start until either the week before or the week after labor day here (depends on district) and the sales have begun!

calebsmama03
08-02-2018, 12:22 AM
I'm really underwhelmed so far this year. Luckily I stock up every year so I have a surplus on most stuff but where are the staples 1cent/5cent/10cent deals with $5 purchase? 25cent crayola crayons are now 50 cents. The Walgreens Ticonderoga sale is usually this week (I looked back at my notes) and nada. It's absolutely killing me to pay these prices when I know what I've paid in past years but we start in 2 weeks so I don't have time to wait. Boo.

KrisM
08-02-2018, 07:00 AM
I'm really underwhelmed so far this year. Luckily I stock up every year so I have a surplus on most stuff but where are the staples 1cent/5cent/10cent deals with $5 purchase? 25cent crayola crayons are now 50 cents. The Walgreens Ticonderoga sale is usually this week (I looked back at my notes) and nada. It's absolutely killing me to pay these prices when I know what I've paid in past years but we start in 2 weeks so I don't have time to wait. Boo.

Me too! I feel like I must have either missed the deals or they just aren't there this year.

You are right on the Walgreen's pencils too. They are $1.99 for 10 this week and they've always been $.99 for 10. I don't know that they will go down to $.99 this year or not. Same week and they are on sale, but it's for twice as much!

Momit
08-02-2018, 07:33 AM
The WalMarts near me have had great sales going since before July 20. I bought poster board and markers that day and the Crayola markers were maybe .97? And the other day I bought a few notebooks for .25 each. We start school before the end of August.

carolinacool
08-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I read on my local Facebook group that Office Depot isn't doing the 1 cent/5 cent deals this year. Instead, they are doing a "low prices all season" pricing strategy. That seems to be the direction Target has gone in for the last several years. Fewer super-cheaper weekly specials and more season-long deals that aren't as deep.

I'm wondering if Office Depot will do the $1 Ticonderoga pencils.

calebsmama03
08-02-2018, 04:35 PM
The WalMarts near me have had great sales going since before July 20. I bought poster board and markers that day and the Crayola markers were maybe .97? And the other day I bought a few notebooks for .25 each. We start school before the end of August.

Crayola washable or regular? $1 is an average BTS price for the regular ones. The washable haven't been on sale anywhere.

calebsmama03
08-02-2018, 04:37 PM
I read on my local Facebook group that Office Depot isn't doing the 1 cent/5 cent deals this year. Instead, they are doing a "low prices all season" pricing strategy. That seems to be the direction Target has gone in for the last several years. Fewer super-cheaper weekly specials and more season-long deals that aren't as deep.

I'm wondering if Office Depot will do the $1 Ticonderoga pencils.

Costco has always had a big pack of Ticonderoga that worked out to about the same per pencil but unsharpened. I still have plenty of pencils so I'm holding off and worst case I'll grab that if I see it. I love those pre sharpened ones, though!

PZMommy
08-02-2018, 05:31 PM
This year the sales have not been as good. As a teacher, I need to stock up, but this year have not found glue sticks, folders, and notebooks for as cheap as I have previous years. Office Depot even cut back on their teacher appreciation day/sale.

ciw
08-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Crayola washable or regular? $1 is an average BTS price for the regular ones. The washable haven't been on sale anywhere.

Crayola 8 ct washable markers are on sale this week at Kmart for $1. There aren't too many Kmarts anymore, but it looks like Kmart is selling the markers for the same price online. You may be able to get another store to price match.

melrose7
08-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Me too! I feel like I must have either missed the deals or they just aren't there this year.

You are right on the Walgreen's pencils too. They are $1.99 for 10 this week and they've always been $.99 for 10. I don't know that they will go down to $.99 this year or not. Same week and they are on sale, but it's for twice as much!

Walgreens has the pencils for $.99 this week.