PDA

View Full Version : Disney World or Universal Studios?

ang79
10-09-2018, 10:35 PM
So apparently DH booked us a 4 day/3 night trip to Hilton Grand Vacation resort in Orlando in exchange for sitting through a time-share presentation. We have no intention of buying a time share (have sat through several presentations for other companies), he just thought it would give us a nice mini vacation with the girls. It has to be booked sometime in the next 12 months, so I was thinking possible around MLK day in January or around President's Day in February, as the girls have a few days off school then (granted we don't get a ton of snow and need to make days up). We went to Disney 3 years ago and stayed on site, did the free dining plan, and had park hopper tickets for a week. I know this current trip will be much different. Trying to decide if we should do Disney again (probably just Magic Kingdom, or possibly Magic Kindom and Epcot), or try Univeral Studios. The girls have never been there but DH and I went before we had kids with some friends for just one day. The girls are 12 and soon to be 10. My 12 year old has just gotten into reading Harry Potter (finished book 1), DD2 hasn't really shown an interest in it. I know HP is a huge attraction at Universal, but not sure we would all be into it. How does pricing compare for both parks? I think there is also a Lego Land in Orlando? I don't know much about that one at all, but I guess that could be an option too.

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2018, 10:56 PM
They’re likely too old for Legoland.
Go with Universal. They’re a great age for it. Universal is way more than Harry Potter though those parts are fantastic. You’ve done Disney. Might as well try something else. Otherwise do something like Seaworld, a water park and the Kennedy Space Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
10-10-2018, 08:17 AM
We're going to Universal for the first time over MLK. We're big Disney fans, so it feels really weird. But, it's a short trip and the girls like Harry Potter. Where is the hotel, is it closer to WDW or Universal? Personally, I think Sea World is over priced and just awful. I took my nephew to Legoland and I loved it back then, but he was six. I agree your DDs are probably a little too old for it.

KrisM
10-10-2018, 08:38 AM
I'd do Universal. But, if you prefer Disney, I would skip Magic Kingdom or limit it to 1 day. Most of the rides are for little kids. Not much for the 10+ there, it seems.

nfceagles
10-10-2018, 10:34 AM
I would do Universal. Tickets will likely be cheaper. Universal sometimes runs but 2 get one day free type of offers. The HP stuff is fantastic whether you’re into HP or not. Forbidden Journey and Gringot’s bank ride are some of the best rides between any of the parks you’re considering. The theming and Hogwarts Express are also amazing. I love Disney as much as the next person, but the other reason I’d choose Universal is because a 3-4 day trip to Disney is full of lots of tough decisions about what to do versus what to skip, whereas 3-4 days is a perfect amount of time for Universal.

DualvansMommy
10-10-2018, 11:51 AM
I would do universal as your girls ages is perfect for that type of trip plus right number of days/nights too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ang79
10-10-2018, 11:58 AM
They do love Disney, but may like Universal as well. Where is the best place to purchase tickets? We would probably do 2 or 3 day tickets. Should I look at combo tickets to hit both Univeral parks, or focus on just one park?

SnuggleBuggles
10-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Check Undercover Tourist and Universal directly. One of them is running a buy 2 get 2 promo, I think. If you have it in your budget to do Park to Park tickets, they are the best! Unlike park hopping at Disney, Universal parks are right there. You can walk via CityWalk in 5 minutes or take the Hogwarts Express to change parks. We did both depending on how long the train line was. We bounced back and forth every day and would have hated to be limited to one park.

pharmjenn
10-10-2018, 12:41 PM
They do love Disney, but may like Universal as well. Where is the best place to purchase tickets? We would probably do 2 or 3 day tickets. Should I look at combo tickets to hit both Univeral parks, or focus on just one park?

Definitely look for the multiday/multipark tickets. You can do both parks well over 2 days, and on the third go back and do some favorites. The only way to ride Hogwarts Express is by having park to park tickets. We did a 4 day visit last year, leaving on Thanksgiving morning and that was the perfect amount of time. I think we left the parks late afternoon and did not feel rushed or exhausted at all.
Does your family like roller coasters? That is mostly what Universal contains, both real and 3D motion simulator types.

ang79
10-10-2018, 12:55 PM
DH and my almost 10 yr. old love coasters. My 12 year old does not. I can do small ones, but larger ones make me sick (the one time I did visit Universal with friends years ago, riding the Hulk one time made me feel queasy for 1/2 a day). With Disney, our whole family loved it for the the magical Disney feel, decorations, characters, etc. when we went 3 years ago. There were favorite rides, but the overall magical experience was the most memorable. I loved living in the Disney bubble for a week! We may have to ask the girls their thoughts, as they may actually be disappointed if don't do Disney on a FL trip.

TwinFoxes
10-10-2018, 01:03 PM
I am worried my DDs will be disappointed not going to WDW. They love Disney. But going over a long weekend is just not enough time (for us.) We are doing park to park. Right now, there's a buy two days get two free special. I do not know how long it will last.

SnuggleBuggles
10-10-2018, 01:09 PM
How would they know they prefer Disney if they haven’t been to Universal? [emoji847] It was funny with ds2- we were boarding our flight home from Universal and ds2 said, “wait. Is Disneyworld around here too?” He was very content with Universal though so it was all good.

TwinFoxes
10-10-2018, 02:42 PM
How would they know they prefer Disney if they haven’t been to Universal? [emoji847] It was funny with ds2- we were boarding our flight home from Universal and ds2 said, “wait. Is Disneyworld around here too?” He was very content with Universal though so it was all good.

I don't know. I'm just worried they will be disappointed. Although worried is a strong word. Because no matter what I'm taking them on a trip to amusement park and the only reaction that's really acceptable around here is gratitude.

SnuggleBuggles
10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
I don't know. I'm just worried they will be disappointed. Although worried is a strong word. Because no matter what I'm taking them on a trip to amusement park and the only reaction that's really acceptable around here is gratitude.

:)

nfceagles
10-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Undercover Tourist or Universal are the best places to get Universal tickets. And if they have a 2+2free it’s definitely going to be cheaper than Disney. I love having 3-4 days for Universal. Can you do it in 2? Yes. But it’s such a nice pace to be able to fit some pool time in as well and take everything at a relaxing pace. City Walk restaurants are great too. I would recommend taking a Bonine in the morning to help with motion sickness. My kids won’t do the big coasters but there’s still plenty they enjoy at Universal.

KrisM
10-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Also, we did the Blue Man Group at City Walk and it was really fun! Everyone enjoyed it. Kids were 10,12, 14.