PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to candy for Halloween

trcy
10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
We always have a ton of leftovers, plus what the DCs get trick or treating. I just don't want all that in the house. What's a good alternative that won't cost a fortune? TIA!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

candaceb
10-22-2018, 03:55 PM
I always have non-candy alternatives. I do experiments to see which bucket the kids pick and often the non-candy is more popular.
I have done:
silly straws (very popular, even with "big kids")
glow sticks
scented pencils found on clearance
eyeball rubber balls
glow in the dark rubber duckies
knockoff lego minifigs (not interested in starting a debate on this one!) https://smile.amazon.com/Homecoming-Kids-Minifigures-Community-Accessories/dp/B07J39F4D3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1540237999&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=minifigures&psc=1
bottles of water when it's warm

trcy
10-22-2018, 04:16 PM
I always have non-candy alternatives. I do experiments to see which bucket the kids pick and often the non-candy is more popular.
I have done:
silly straws (very popular, even with "big kids")
glow sticks
scented pencils found on clearance
eyeball rubber balls
glow in the dark rubber duckies
knockoff lego minifigs (not interested in starting a debate on this one!) https://smile.amazon.com/Homecoming-Kids-Minifigures-Community-Accessories/dp/B07J39F4D3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1540237999&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=minifigures&psc=1
bottles of water when it's warmAwesome ideas, thanks! Do you usually hand out one of an item or do you have a mix and hand out a few to each trick or treater?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mackmama
10-22-2018, 10:13 PM
We're doing one big bowl with candy and non-candy items. Kids will pick something for themselves.

Non-candy items:
Stickers
Glow sticks/glow bracelets/glow sunglasses
Stickers
Stampers
Glitter tattoos
Tattoo lollipops (I know they're candy, but I'm pretty excited about them lol)

calebsmama03
10-22-2018, 10:32 PM
I've done the trinket-y stuff (stickers, erasers, pencils, glow sticks, etc) but as a parent that's just as much of a nuisance to me as candy. Last year we did hot cocoa packets and kids loved it. I want to say they worked out to about 12-15c a piece? I've also seen people do juice boxes/pouches. I have a bunch left over from baseball snacks this summer so I think we will start with those then move to hot cocoa when we run out.

Percycat
10-22-2018, 11:33 PM
We give out finger lights:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Finger-Supplies-Holiday-Assorted/dp/B00D62VF1W

georgiegirl
10-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Drinks! Kids get thirsty on Halloween. Last year we did mini water bottles (and pirate booty) and this year I have Capri sun pouches and will also add some sort of salty snack or glow bracelets

MSWR0319
10-23-2018, 08:13 AM
We're doing one big bowl with candy and non-candy items. Kids will pick something for themselves.

Non-candy items:
Stickers
Glow sticks/glow bracelets/glow sunglasses
Stickers
Stampers
Glitter tattoos
Tattoo lollipops (I know they're candy, but I'm pretty excited about them lol)

As an allergy mom, I would ask that you consider doing two separate bowls. DS is contact reactive to peanuts. So anything mixed in with candy he can't keep because there is a chance it could be cross contaminated. I know that's probably not the case for most kids, but just thought I'd mention it.

essnce629
10-23-2018, 11:35 AM
As an allergy mom, I would ask that you consider doing two separate bowls. DS is contact reactive to peanuts. So anything mixed in with candy he can't keep because there is a chance it could be cross contaminated. I know that's probably not the case for most kids, but just thought I'd mention it.Yes, to this! I always do one candy bowl and one non-candy bowl. We give out finger lights and bumpy LED light up rings. They can be worn immediately and since they light up it helps the kids be seen better in the dark.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mackmama
10-23-2018, 11:49 AM
As an allergy mom, I would ask that you consider doing two separate bowls. DS is contact reactive to peanuts. So anything mixed in with candy he can't keep because there is a chance it could be cross contaminated. I know that's probably not the case for most kids, but just thought I'd mention it.

This is great info - thank you! I specifically got so many non-candy items for kids with allergies, so I appreciate knowing they need to be in a separate bowl. I did not know that and will definitely do it.

jennilynn
10-23-2018, 01:38 PM
I like to do temporary tattoos and glow bracelets. Target sells big bags of each in the Halloween aisle (the tattoos come in little boxes so they are easy to hand out). I also do lollipops or gummies or other non-chocolate nut free candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilfaith
10-23-2018, 02:35 PM
I always offer a selection of non-candy items (pencils, erasers, little plastic spider rings, etc.) in addition to candy. I also like to give out little bags of pretzels, popcorn, or Pirate Booty, since I will happily put the leftovers in my kids' lunchboxes (rather than giving them candy in the middle of the school day).