PDA

View Full Version : Which school costume parade to skip?

bisous
10-22-2018, 06:38 PM
DD goes to the local neighborhood school because they offer a very good TK program this year. My 1st grader and 6th grader are at the local charter school. Although the schools are only 1 mile apart, the parades are occurring simultaneously and I can't be at both!

Should I skip the TK parade and just take DD with me to watch the other two? Or skip the bigger kids parade since I can probably drop by their parties later on in the day? I hate these kinds of decisions! At least I don't have to stress about my high schooler's parade. They have a late start day that day!

Thanks!

PZMommy
10-22-2018, 06:44 PM
Could your TK walk in the parade at the other school? I know mine allows younger siblings to walk in the parade. If so, I’d skip the TK one and go to the school with your 1st and 6th grade. Plus, your TK really wouldn’t know what they are missing out on.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Go to dd’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
10-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Could your TK walk in the parade at the other school? I know mine allows younger siblings to walk in the parade. If so, I’d skip the TK one and go to the school with your 1st and 6th grade. Plus, your TK really wouldn’t know what they are missing out on.

They aren't allowed to march (neither do the parents!) But I do think it is quite possible that DD won't know what she is missing! Halloween is a fun (not very much learning going on) type of day. School starts at 8:15, costume parade is at 8:30 and then immediately following the kids have a classroom party. They get out at 11:30, lol.

bisous
10-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Go to dd’s.

Because she's the littlest?

Philly Mom
10-22-2018, 07:04 PM
I would take DD to the big kids. They will notice more. She won’t know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
10-22-2018, 08:21 PM
I would take DD to the big kids. They will notice more. She won’t know the difference.

I agree. Unless she's really into it, I think she'd be just as happy to be with her older siblings. Whenever younger siblings are at our elementary school they seem super thrilled, and they're treated like little celebrities. Their older siblings' classmates love them!

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Because she's the littlest?

Yep it’s your last time getting to do it with a little one.

klwa
10-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Is this 6th graders last year to have a parade? If so, go to that one.

Dayzy
10-23-2018, 01:04 PM
I have a 5th grader and he would tell me to go to his sister's stuff because I've been through it with him already. So I vote go to the little one's because you'll never have the chance to go to her 1st one again.

jgenie
10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Is TK before Kinder? If so, I would go to the older's parade. If this is her Kinder, I would go to the Kinder parade.

Kindra178
10-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Is this 6th graders last year to have a parade? If so, go to that one.

This!

speo
10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
I would go to your boys parade because there are 2 of them. Would DD be missing school to attend the other parade? I wouldn't do that either. I'd have her do her own parade.

Philly Mom
10-23-2018, 02:12 PM
I would go to your boys parade because there are 2 of them. Would DD be missing school to attend the other parade? I wouldn't do that either. I'd have her do her own parade.

I definitely would not have her go to her own parade without you. That is hard when other parents will be there. If she doesn’t march this year, then next year in kindergarten it will be her first parade and you will get to see her then. Your first grader will want you there and your younger one won’t know the difference. She can skip school and cheer on her brothers.

bisous
10-23-2018, 04:43 PM
I definitely would not have her go to her own parade without you. That is hard when other parents will be there. If she doesn’t march this year, then next year in kindergarten it will be her first parade and you will get to see her then. Your first grader will want you there and your younger one won’t know the difference. She can skip school and cheer on her brothers.

I think I’m inclined to do this. I don’t think she’d do well in a parade without me there, but at the same time it might make DS3 sad to have me miss as well! DS2 will have two more years to march. I’m super familiar with the process at the charter school and so is DD so I think I’ll just bring her. Maybe I’ll drop her off at school right after.

TwinFoxes
10-23-2018, 06:22 PM
I definitely would not have her go to her own parade without you. That is hard when other parents will be there.

I agree. My kids would have been really upset as preschoolers if I weren't there and the other parents were.

Philly Mom
10-23-2018, 06:26 PM
I think I’m inclined to do this. I don’t think she’d do well in a parade without me there, but at the same time it might make DS3 sad to have me miss as well! DS2 will have two more years to march. I’m super familiar with the process at the charter school and so is DD so I think I’ll just bring her. Maybe I’ll drop her off at school right after.

I wouldn’t. Because then she might know what she missed. She won’t know if she stays home that day.

jgenie
10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
I wouldn’t. Because then she might know what she missed. She won’t know if she stays home that day.

Yes, the excitement would have settled by the next day but that day they will all be talking about it.

speo
10-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Not to turn this into a debate, but TK in CA is in public school. It is not preschool. I don't understand skipping a day of school for a Halloween parade. It's more like missing K than preschool if that makes sense. Although I think bisous is suggesting only skipping the morning parade.

bisous
10-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Yes, the excitement would have settled by the next day but that day they will all be talking about it.

That's certainly the easiest way to do the day! I don't think she'll be missing much academically that day for sure!

bisous
10-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Not to turn this into a debate, but TK in CA is in public school. It is not preschool. I don't understand skipping a day of school for a Halloween parade. It's more like missing K than preschool if that makes sense. Although I think bisous is suggesting only skipping the morning parade.

This is true but my understanding is that neither K nor TK is mandatory in California. With DS3 I was religious about making him attend every day because he had a really hard time going and missing a day was certain to cause a problem for many weeks! But DD is easier going (though she would still rather be home than at school). I feel ok about missing THIS day since it is pretty disruptive (FUN for sure but I think of dubious academic importance).

PZMommy
10-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Speaking as a kinder teacher, there will be no real teaching that day. The kids are way to excited, and they do not settle down after the parade. There will be activities, but no new instruction is introduced on that day.

PZMommy
10-23-2018, 08:18 PM
This is true but my understanding is that neither K nor TK is mandatory in California. With DS3 I was religious about making him attend every day because he had a really hard time going and missing a day was certain to cause a problem for many weeks! But DD is easier going (though she would still rather be home than at school). I feel ok about missing THIS day since it is pretty disruptive (FUN for sure but I think of dubious academic importance).

TK and K are not mandatory in California, but once you enroll that you are required to follow the attendance policies. However, this is a day, that I would not worry about missing. No new instruction will be introduced that day. She will miss out on some fun, but not new instruction.

jgenie
10-23-2018, 08:33 PM

My DS1 was very similar to your son. He went to school unless he was medically required to stay home. He hated going to school but I knew if he got to miss for any reason the next day would be way worse. There were days we went to the ped as soon as they opened so he could be checked and if the doctor said he was fine to go to school I drove him straight there. DS2 wasn’t the same so I let him stay home more freely. I was a stickler for attendance early on and now realize I should have been a bit more easygoing.

Pear
10-23-2018, 10:49 PM
At our school, you can’t bring siblings.

Do you have a 2nd parent? If so, I would have the other parent attend one of the events.

bisous
10-23-2018, 11:26 PM
At our school, you can’t bring siblings.

Do you have a 2nd parent? If so, I would have the other parent attend one of the events.

DH is pretty unavailable these days unfortunately. Lots going on at work and he works far away.

Our school is ok with siblings. DD has gone every year except once when DS3 was in TK (at a third school) and we went to that one instead.

I don’t want her to miss out on the fun at her school, but I do think she’s the least likely to notice or care that she is missing out, if that makes sense. She’s also the least likely to get anything positive out of the school day.

KpbS
10-24-2018, 12:01 AM
I've never heard of a Halloween parade here! Maybe it's regional?

I guess I'd skip your DDs since she can participate next year, presumably. Even high schoolers dress up?

KrisM
10-24-2018, 12:16 AM
I'd go to a first or a last parade and skip the others. I would not pull a kid from school just because I couldn't be there for an event. Lots of parents work and won't be there, right? Do they make other arrangements for their kids so they don't go to school that day?

Our elementary schools are K-2 and 3-5, so my kids are never all in one building. When they were in K, 2, 4, I went to the kindergartner's party and popped in to the 2nd grade. When they were in 1, 3, 5, I only made it to 5th grade. The kids still all had a fun time with their friends and teachers. I can't imagine asking them to skip their own fun just because I couldn't be there.

bisous
10-24-2018, 08:09 AM
I'd go to a first or a last parade and skip the others. I would not pull a kid from school just because I couldn't be there for an event. Lots of parents work and won't be there, right? Do they make other arrangements for their kids so they don't go to school that day?

Our elementary schools are K-2 and 3-5, so my kids are never all in one building. When they were in K, 2, 4, I went to the kindergartner's party and popped in to the 2nd grade. When they were in 1, 3, 5, I only made it to 5th grade. The kids still all had a fun time with their friends and teachers. I can't imagine asking them to skip their own fun just because I couldn't be there.

You're right that that's difficult for the kids who have two working parents. They do schedule the parade for the very first thing in the morning and it is a HUGE deal. (Maybe it is regional? I have never attended a school that doesn't have a parade!) Most of my working parent friends make arrangements to be there but obviously everyone cannot. I've never missed a parade. It is a very social event.

mikala
10-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Wow, this must be regional as we don't have Halloween parades here either. I'd talk to your older kids and see if they have a preference. Are there any other family friends your kids could pair up with for the day to take pictures and give hugs wherever you can't be?

klwa
10-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Y (Maybe it is regional? I have never attended a school that doesn't have a parade!)

Speaking to this part:

My elementary school had a huge parade every year and still does. I get to see pics of my nieces and nephews. (Dadblame it! I just realized that i won't get cute pics this year because they're all middle school or older now!) Huge thing. Everyone in town comes out to watch.

The school my kids go to doesn't even let them dress up. We're ~100 miles away from where I grew up. Everyone here looked at me like I had grown two heads when I asked about it when DS was in school. So, it's definitely regional.

TwinFoxes
10-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Wow, this must be regional as we don't have Halloween parades here either.

I live on the opposite coast from OP. Our "parade" is the littlest kids (I think K & 1st, maybe just K) parading through the school. They have to dress as their favorite book character, so you won't be seeing Freddy Krueger or anything.

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2018, 09:47 AM
We have a Halloween parade at our school for the k-5. Like OP, it's a big deal at our school. Many parents schedule to be off to attend. We all chat and mingle- definitely a social event. And a darned cute parade! The teachers get dressed up too- usually they do a theme per grade level for the teachers which is really fun.

jgenie
10-24-2018, 10:35 AM
We have a Halloween parade at our school for the k-5. Like OP, it's a big deal at our school. Many parents schedule to be off to attend. We all chat and mingle- definitely a social event. And a darned cute parade! The teachers get dressed up too- usually they do a theme per grade level for the teachers which is really fun.

This is us through 8th grade. The upper school kids don’t dress up or attend the parade.