PDA

View Full Version : Kids table manners

Chitowngirl
10-22-2018, 07:13 PM
My DS is 6 and his table manners are terrible. He chews with his mouth open, talks with his mouth full, shovels food in his mouth so there is always a ton on the table/floor he spilled, etc. Is this age appropriate? If so do I ignore him or correct him (cause I do correct him but it doesn’t seem to help and it makes the meal miserable cause it’s just one correction after another). If it’s normal when does it get better? Is there a table manners book someone can recommend?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
10-22-2018, 07:32 PM
I am so there with you, but DS is 8 so it's even worse. DH's family eats like it's feeding time at the zoo. Seriously. Both of his parents came from well off families where you would think they would have learned table manners. They shovel it in, talk with their mouths full, and basically eat like it's going to run away. So I have no help on this matter - it's all on me. But I'm bound and determined that DS will come out better than his father. We work on one skill at a time.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2018, 07:37 PM
I’ve instilled good table manners all along so we haven’t been there (probably just my kids temperament not my parenting though ;)). There’s a good Berenstain Bears book about manners. There’s a B.B. book about every issue. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corie
10-22-2018, 07:54 PM
I've been on my kids about manners/table manners since day one!! I was brought up that way and I expect it of my kids.
I'm very strict with good manners. I'm complimented all the time about my kids table manners and ordering skills. Wait staff
especially love my kids. LOL!

JBaxter
10-22-2018, 08:23 PM
I require kids to sit have conversation eat with utensils chew with their mouth closed etc. I still cut up my newly 10 yr olds meat but thats as far as I go. If something is spilled over the side of the plate it needs to be cleaned up before they take the plate to the sink. I dont care if they dont want to its required.

DualvansMommy
10-22-2018, 08:34 PM
I detest bad table manners, so absent of severe learning disability or cognitive, it’s something all parents should try to help the kids improve.

For us in our house;
No iPads or anything electronics.
We converse and talk about our day.
They eat with mouth closed.
Use fork and knife appropriately. If can’t, I’m ok with a spoon when they were younger.
Don’t sit with your feet on the table while others are eating! My nephews does this and it drives me up the wall to see it.
Spilling etc is ok as we all make accidents but they’re responsible for cleaning it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BDKmom
10-22-2018, 09:05 PM
My 8 year old puts too much food in his mouth, tries to talk while he's still chewing, and makes a huge mess everywhere. I have friends with boys around that age who says their sons do the same. We work on it every time we eat together as a family, which we try to do most nights. There is a lot of reminding, correcting, etc. It does get old, but I figure repetition is the only way he is going to learn it. We talk about being respectful of each other while we are eating and he has to clean up any mess he makes on the table and floor. I hope it's just a phase, but he has always been a much messier eater than his younger sister.

doberbrat
10-22-2018, 10:43 PM
I'm with you - I HATE HATE HATE bad table manners. It does make for miserable dinners some nights but better that misery now than for the rest of their lives. It DOES affect people. One of our roommates was completely disgusting with her eating habits in college. The next year, we refused to room with her. I've had bosses comment on people's table manners after lunch.

I think that school lunch also discourages good manners. Too little time, no adults reinforcing good manners etc.

To slow them down I require that the fork is put down between bites. I make them use small forks to eat and I have a tiny shrimp fork that I make them eat with if they insist on trying to shovel it in.

georgiegirl
10-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Ugh now I feel like a bad parent. My boys really reject being civilized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikala
10-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI hear ya. I've been working hard on manners since before my kids could talk. They all signed please and thank you before they could say the words. We have family dinner almost every night and eat out at restaurants weekly, yet I'm still constantly working to civilize them.

magnoliaparadise
10-23-2018, 06:24 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hahahaha could not have said it better.

magnoliaparadise
10-23-2018, 06:31 AM
duplicate!