PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel blowfish like puffy?

mommy111
10-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Do any of you go through days of feeling very puffy? To put things in context, I’m post menopausal and have been since 40ish. However, there will be days on end that I will feel very puffy, swollen eyes, gain 4-5lbs. And then I’ll hit a day when I’m running to the bathroom every couple of hours and pee it all out and the puffiness gets much better......and I lose 4-5lbs. I’m not a huge salt eater. I have thyroid issues but my thyroid levels have been very consistent on meds for at least a year now. It’s crazy! I’ll go through weeks of feeling like a blow fish (and looking like a blowfish too). I can make the puffiness go if I stick to a very strict protein diet, but that is hard for me to do and makes me more rebound puffy so I avoid that.
Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just lucky old me?

marymoo86
10-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Sounds like it is your body's way of saying it doesn't like your diet? If it responds well to keto style diets then maybe that is a sign.

Try eliminating fortified grains and see if that helps. Synthetic iron wreaks all kinds of havoc in your system.

NCGrandma
10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
If you’re retaining that much fluid, check with your primary care provider (unless you’ve already talked to her/him about this specific issue). It may be diet related, but there are also a variety of medical problems that can cause this. A thorough history and physical exam, and some bloodwork, may shed some light. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing much, and easy to manage.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

BunnyBee
10-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Not to be alarmist, but that is the most common warning sign for ovarian cancer. I just saw some PSA on Facebook. It is likely to be something benign, but because the bloated feeling has physical symptoms too (weight gain and the urination--as in it's not just you feeling bloated, you know?), you should get it checked out.

mom2binsd
10-25-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm 51 and in menopause but don't ever get that feeling, but I drink a lot of water (80 to 100 Oz), exercise most days and eat high protein, low carb, no soda or extra sugar. I'd look to your diet or whether there is something missing like exercise etc?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
10-25-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm 51 and in menopause but don't ever get that feeling, but I drink a lot of water (80 to 100 Oz), exercise most days and eat high protein, low carb, no soda or extra sugar. I'd look to your diet or whether there is something missing like exercise etc?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jent
10-25-2018, 09:31 PM
If you’re retaining that much fluid, check with your primary care provider (unless you’ve already talked to her/him about this specific issue). It may be diet related, but there are also a variety of medical problems that can cause this. A thorough history and physical exam, and some bloodwork, may shed some light. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing much, and easy to manage.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I second this. Puffy + weight gain sounds like edema, which could have a multitude of causes. I would definitely get checked out.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-25-2018, 11:12 PM
I TOTALLY get this. i am only 40 years old and i consider myself in decent shape (i exercise 4-5x a week). Whenever I do cardio (running), this happens. My stomach swells to look like i'm 6 months preggo. it is so annoying. I eat vegan and don't eat out like most people so it's frustrating. i used to do Paleo diet and i think it was even worse with that.

mommy111
10-25-2018, 11:51 PM
So ovaries are fine....ultrasound a few months ago for other screening also evaluated ovaries and they were OK. I don’t have any pitting in my extremities, and liver functions and proteins were normal, the puffiness is around my middle (belly) and face. It’s crazy! My PCP left her practice and the soonest the person who replaced her can get me in is *April* My endocrinologist who checks my thyroid says the thyroid test are OK. It’s crazy and not fun :(

mommy111
10-25-2018, 11:52 PM
I TOTALLY get this. i am only 40 years old and i consider myself in decent shape (i exercise 4-5x a week). Whenever I do cardio (running), this happens. My stomach swells to look like i'm 6 months preggo. it is so annoying. I eat vegan and don't eat out like most people so it's frustrating. i used to do Paleo diet and i think it was even worse with that.
So glad to know I’m not alone!!

Globetrotter
10-26-2018, 12:03 AM
I get excessive gas and bloating when I eat A lot of fiber without having enough water. Beano helps a bit and doing other things to reduce the gas, Like soaking beans and getting rid of that water.

There are a bunch of digestive reasons for it, and it Sounds like adjusting your diet controls it, but also other issues can cause it so worth a visit to your pcp To brainstorm.