PDA

View Full Version : S/O: did you meet your spouse on an online dating site or other internet site?

AnnieW625
10-26-2018, 01:00 PM
I did not. I met DH through friends at a mutual friend’s wedding in 1997. I was 20 and he was 22 (almost 23). The couple who got married met on some Dungeons & Dragons forum in 1994 or 1995 when they were in college. They have been married 21 years now.

I also know of another former couple (parents of my friends and close friends of my parents) who divorced and both met their second spouse through online chat rooms in the late 1990s. Sadly both of those second spouses died recently this year.

I probably know of between 5 and 10 other couples who met and have married their spouse from various online dating websites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
10-26-2018, 01:11 PM
I live in a small town in a rural area and had a more than full-time job when I decided internet dating was probably my best bet to meet someone. DH and I met through an internet dating site, though we sort of bypassed their process and starting talking on the phone and dating in person right away. We’ve been married for 12 years now. I feel fairly certain that if I hadn’t turned to the internet, unless I’d moved from my current town, I would still be single.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
10-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Nope. We met in marching band in college.

specialp
10-26-2018, 01:51 PM
No. College. I have a lot of friends who met their spouse via internet or dating sites. Once you are out of college and working full-time, sounds like the best bet.

JElaineB
10-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Yes, on AOL in 1997. Married for 20 years this past August.

Reyadawnbringer
10-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Yes, through an online video game.

Just celebrated 11 years this last Saturday. Our oldest turned 10 this last Sunday and our youngest will be 3 months on Monday. :)

trcy
10-26-2018, 02:39 PM
No. We met through mutual friends.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
10-26-2018, 02:43 PM
No, we met through our jobs after college.

JBaxter
10-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Yes, on AOL in 1997. Married for 20 years this past August.

Aol 2001 coming up on 16 years in November!

essnce629
10-26-2018, 03:23 PM
No, we met in college.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥
10-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Yes we met online in 2005 at a local matchup site for students/alum/faculty of Boston-area universities. We did go to the same university in same department and even had a few mutual acquaintances, and had ran in some of the same local races...we just had never met. DH is super shy so we wouldn’t have met otherwise.

We will have been married 11 years now

WatchingThemGrow
10-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Match.com

We were going to the same church but didn’t know each other though...

ett
10-26-2018, 04:39 PM
No, we met in grad school.

essnce629
10-26-2018, 04:51 PM
I probably know of between 5 and 10 other couples who met and have married their spouse from various online dating websites.

I actually don't know any IRL married couples who met online. Of my 3 best friends who are married, 2 met in high school and the other met in college. I have 2 single friends who are 37 years old and never married and have done online dating for years, but nothing has panned out yet.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
10-26-2018, 05:00 PM
We Met through mutual friends. There is just no way DH would have been on a dating site. He doesn’t even do social media now ��

PunkyBoo
10-26-2018, 05:13 PM
We meet in college in 1990, before the internet existed! Lol! We've been married 19 years now. I know some younger couples who did meet online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Snow mom
10-26-2018, 07:58 PM
I met my spouse in grad school. My brother and SIL met through a dating website though. I think he did a fair amount on online dating and she did less but was fed up with the men she was meeting through more traditional avenues.

DualvansMommy
10-26-2018, 08:49 PM
We met through mutual friends at my then boss’s Labor Day cookout party in 2001. But we didn’t start dating until few months later in 2002.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
10-26-2018, 10:19 PM
I am so old that we met through the newspaper ads!! I was 31,in a new city and tired of dating duds. So I took a marketing approach to my ad and crafted a good one that got me a date every day for a month!! I dated 3 guys and DH was the winner. I used the same approach with 2 coworkers and they got married to good guys as well!!

marymoo86
10-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Old fashion way - at a bar in college through a mutual friend.

okinawama
10-26-2018, 10:22 PM
My DH and I met in high school. We dated for close to 5 years, and have been married for 14 years this summer.

georgiegirl
10-26-2018, 10:25 PM
We were set up by a mutual friend. (Dh had introduced that mutual friend to a girl who eventually became his wife the year before).

niccig
10-26-2018, 10:49 PM
We met traveling, got on the same bus.

DietCokeLover
10-26-2018, 11:55 PM
Yes, we met on a Christian internet dating site. We long distance dated for 1 year and have been married for 15 years.

basil
10-27-2018, 05:23 AM
We met at work. I was a med student and he was the resident on the team I was assigned to. I did meet my boyfriend prior to him online though.

I know several couples who met online, including my 70+ year old uncle who met his girlfriend online after my aunt passed away.

Mommy_Mea
10-27-2018, 06:57 AM
DH and I met through an professional organization for engineers, but I know so many people who have met their spouses online, including my sister and best friend.

scrooks
10-27-2018, 07:28 AM
I met DH through mutual friends. Most of my friends met their spouses in college or high school. I only know of one couple in our age range (mid 40s) that met online and I was surprised they had met that way!

I think now most couples meet online? Timder etc... things I am happy not to deal with : )

TwinFoxes
10-27-2018, 08:20 AM
No, we met at work.

I actually don't know any IRL married couples who met online.

I don't think I do either, but I'm surprised you don't since you're a lot younger than me. Internet dating was certainly around when I was single, but it still had kind of a stigma to it. I was last single in 1998.

TwinFoxes
10-27-2018, 08:21 AM
We met traveling, got on the same bus.

OMG, that's amazing. That seems so romantic, a definite "meet-cute".

JBaxter
10-27-2018, 08:40 AM
About 2 yrs after my dad passed my mom got on a senior dating website. She's been married to my step father for 7 years. He was retiring and so was she She had a farm and he taught in the horticulture at a local university.

legaleagle
10-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Match.com in 2004 - I paid to join to message him and still joke that it was the best $44.95 I ever spent.

I know quite a few couples who met online, including many older ones.

Zukini
10-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Met DH on an online dating site 8 years ago, we met in July, were engaged by Thanksgiving and then went to the courthouse and got married in December. We were already in our 30’s and just knew what we wanted. When you know, you just know!

gatorsmom
10-27-2018, 10:19 AM
So I took a marketing approach to my ad and crafted a good one that got me a date every day for a month!! I dated 3 guys and DH was the winner.

I took a business approach as well! I was 27yo and had just broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years. I knew I wanted a family and felt the timing was right to look for something serious. I was in working in Human Resources where we always hoped for large numbers of resumes to fill a position. I thought I’d take the same approach since I had a “position to fill.” I decided to go out as much as possible, meet new people and be more open-minded. My plan was to give my phone number to at least one guy every time I went out with the hope that the more people I talk to and make friends with, the better my odds of finding a good guy. The guy I met the next night (in a bar called the Velvet Elvis) was the only guy I felt comfortable giving my number to that night. He was drunk and obnoxious but seemed very smart and was a gentleman so I gave him my number. That was DH. We just celebrated our 18th anniversary.

I know a handful of couples who met on the Internet and are now married.

NCGrandma
10-27-2018, 10:24 AM
No personal experience, but a couple years after the wife of one of my colleagues died when they were in their mid-60s, he very tentatively tried eHarmony, and ended up finding his second wife.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

smilequeen
10-27-2018, 10:43 AM
My cousin and her husband met online. They are adorable. I met my husband in school. He was a year ahead of me and we became friends first when I briefly dated one of his friends.

AnnieW625
10-27-2018, 11:24 AM
No, we met at work.

I don't think I do either, but I'm surprised you don't since you're a lot younger than me. Internet dating was certainly around when I was single, but it still had kind of a stigma to it. I was last single in 1998.

Yes me too because I think essnce is 4 to 5 younger than I am (I am 41). Dh and I started dating in 1997, and prior to Dh I only really dated two other guys, one of who I met on a message board for a sports team we both followed, but we ended up seeing other people by the time dh and I started dating, although his relationship didn’t last and mine did, but we remained online friends via email and chat rooms through college and his grad school (he was actually engaged to someone else by then, but then they broke up), then we lost touch around the time I got married in 03, but we became FB friends and he has since married and lives in Virginia. We still follow the same sports teams.

The first couple I know who met through match.com met in 2000 or 2001 and have been married since 2002. Another friend of mine met his wife on match.com in 2007 and they married in 2009. I have three cousins who are between the age of 40 and 32 who all met their spouses on an online dating website. Plus my dad’s first cousin who is 71 who met her second husband in her early 60s on match.com, and they married in 2012. My sister is 31 and has said she has zero interest in online dating because it makes her nervous (why should she have to put herself out there she says), but I think she kind knows that is how a lot of people date these days. She dated the same guy from age 19 to 29 and broke up with him 2 years ago. She thought they would get married, but towards the end there I knew she wanted it more than he did and I knew the relationship wasn’t going to make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IansMom
10-27-2018, 11:48 PM
No, DH and I met after he saw a picture of me at a friend’s apartment (he stayed in the same complex). I know only two people IRL who met online, and they are both divorced now. One is the friend who introduced DH to me.

kara97210
10-27-2018, 11:53 PM
No, I met DH through mutual friends. It was kind of a blind date although neither of us knew it at the time.

I work with a lot of people in their 20's (I'm in my 40's) in a big city and I'd say 80% of them met their partners online.

ilfaith
10-28-2018, 09:38 AM
No. We met at a party, hosted my my husband's best friend, who was a friend of a friend of mine. This was in 1997, when online dating was just becoming a thing. Just prior to meeting my husband, I did go on a few dates with men I met on a site that was a precursor to JDate.

But my brother met his wife on JDate, as did my cousin. And I have several other friends who let their spouses online.

lizzywednesday
10-28-2018, 12:53 PM
While DH and I actually met in person at a radio show's party in NYC, he gave me the wrong email address (did not give me a phone #) and we'd taken a couple photos together (after chatting for most of the party) and I'd wanted to see the photos.

I knew there was a fan community/forum related to the show and my brother (who was responsible for taking me to the party) had been trying to get me to join up for a couple of years, so I finally created a profile & "post-stalked" him.

Most of our early relationship took place on group chats in AOL Instant Messenger (may it rest in peace) or sidebar chats, rather than talking on the phone (I hate phone calls & didn't want to tie up the apartment phone all the time.)

That was in 2002; we dated for about 4 years before we got married and we've been married 11 years.

HannaAddict
10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Nope. We are too old. Met the old fashioned way, through friends who were dating.

Corie
10-28-2018, 07:07 PM
My husband and I met in college at a fraternity/sorority mixer. He told everyone at the mixer
that he had met the girl he is going to marry. :)

bigsis
10-28-2018, 10:05 PM
No, we met at work.

KHF
10-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Yep. We met on Yahoo Personals, he was only the second online date I went on. We've been married for 15 years in December.

citymama
10-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Nope, this was the old days. We met at a mutual friend's party 20 years ago!

bisous
10-29-2018, 06:10 PM
We met at a church social event in the year 2000. :)