PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gift ideas for grandparents...

hbridge
10-27-2018, 04:14 PM
So I have very few ideas for my parents for the holidays; they purchase what they want when they want it, are very set in their ways and are cleaning out their home, getting rid of things that I never thought they would part with (I had to save my mother's wedding dress from the trash). I am completely out of gift ideas for them. My only thought is consumables and gift cards, but their interests are very different from ours so I am not sure they would even consume them and they are comfortable enough to purchase what they want.

I am looking for any and all gift ideas for people have very few wants or needs.

Thank you SO MUCH!

jgenie
10-27-2018, 04:26 PM
I give pics of the grandkids. I hate to give stuff because they don’t need it. I will do gift cards to their favorite restaurants and stores as well but mostly pics of grandkids.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
10-27-2018, 05:03 PM
My parents asked for a photo calendar with pictures of the grandkids last year. I will get her another one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baymom
10-27-2018, 06:50 PM
In the past 2 years, I’ve given my parents show tickets and a photography class. This year, they treated us and my brother’s family to a cruise. I’m planning to make them a Shutterfly album of the vacation. Like your parents, they don’t want much and buy themselves whatever they do want. Makes gift giving very challenging!

Tenasparkl
10-27-2018, 07:25 PM
What about tickets to a show, sporting event etc.? I sent my parents tickets for a musical that I liked and it was a big hit with them.

hbridge
10-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies. Unfortunately, we have done pictures, calendars and kids art SO MANY times! Has anyone had any luck with monthly "delivery" type things? I am not sure what, but I am intrigued!

DualvansMommy
10-28-2018, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies. Unfortunately, we have done pictures, calendars and kids art SO MANY times! Has anyone had any luck with monthly "delivery" type things? I am not sure what, but I am intrigued!

My parents in law are definitely much harder in that we’ve given digital photo frame with changing photos, informal frames of grandkids to formal large framed portraits. We even went the electronic route as FIL loves reading books, gave him a kindle but he hadn’t even used it. Same thing with amazon echo. Etc. and now with MIL upcoming 90th birthday, the struggle is real!

Delivery groceries? While not glam or anything but it’s very practical gift though. That is gonna be the route we’re going; boring to practical gifts.

My parents are much easier to gift as they still eat out, travel, enjoy theatre, etc etc. mom isn’t too much into tech beyond iPhone but that’s ok cuz I still have lots of other options for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hbridge
10-28-2018, 01:13 PM
My parents in law are definitely much harder in that we’ve given digital photo frame with changing photos, informal frames of grandkids to formal large framed portraits. We even went the electronic route as FIL loves reading books, gave him a kindle but he hadn’t even used it. Same thing with amazon echo. Etc. and now with MIL upcoming 90th birthday, the struggle is real!

Delivery groceries? While not glam or anything but it’s very practical gift though. That is gonna be the route we’re going; boring to practical gifts.

My parents are much easier to gift as they still eat out, travel, enjoy theatre, etc etc. mom isn’t too much into tech beyond iPhone but that’s ok cuz I still have lots of other options for her.

My parents definitely travel and eat out. They have great friends that they "adventure" with regularly (internationally and domestically). We have done all the tech stuff (keyboard for ipad, external batteries, even amazon prime). I am just out of ideas at the moment. DC want to get them a pet, but they are adamantly opposed to even a beta fish, so we are doing a window bird feeder for them to enjoy the animals without having to actually be responsible. Other than that, I'm stumped.

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2018, 01:27 PM
I do gift cards to great restaurants (new or old reliables) and movie gift cards. I’ve bought some event tickets too that have gone over well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
10-28-2018, 01:28 PM
What about a subscription to universal Yums or snackcrate where they get snacks from a different country every month? I've given those to my mom, DH, and a friend.

candaceb
10-28-2018, 01:40 PM
what about a zingerman's club?
https://www.zingermans.com/Category.aspx?Category=zing_clubs

firstbaby
10-28-2018, 03:10 PM
I would do a reservations for a Chef's table at a favorite restaurant or have a personal chef come in and make dinner for them and one or two other couples.

baymom
10-28-2018, 04:39 PM
How about subscriptions to magazines you think they might enjoy or a monthly cleaning crew?

amandabea
10-28-2018, 05:08 PM
How about a subscription to California Wine club? We got that for my parents last year and just ordered it again for this Christmas. We went from the quarterly 2 bottle delivery to the every other month subscription. Wine is good and the gift is appreciated. Decided to upgrade and that covers their birthdays too.

DualvansMommy
10-28-2018, 05:17 PM
I would do a reservations for a Chef's table at a favorite restaurant or have a personal chef come in and make dinner for them and one or two other couples.

That is a great gift idea for parents who are still into eating out. My father and stepmother would really love this kind of gift, so thanks for the future idea to keep!

gamma
10-28-2018, 05:19 PM
I'm a grandparent and even though I appreciate the thought that goes into any gift, If I'm being honest, I have enough stuff! What I really love the most is being included. I treasure the texts or calls that say, "we're going out for dinner come and join us, we're going to pick apples please join us, meet us at the zoo." Just being included in family time and seeing my grandkids enjoy those activities is worth more to me than any gift.

jgenie
10-28-2018, 05:25 PM
I'm a grandparent and even though I appreciate the thought that goes into any gift, If I'm being honest, I have enough stuff! What I really love the most is being included. I treasure the texts or calls that say, "we're going out for dinner come and join us, we're going to pick apples please join us, meet us at the zoo." Just being included in family time and seeing my grandkids enjoy those activities is worth more to me than any gift.

This is exactly what my mom says!! We spend money on plane tickets for her to come spend time with us. We might road trip while she’s with us but she says she really just likes being with us for the everyday stuff - getting the boys on the bus in the morning, meeting the bus in the afternoon, making us breakfast, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lisa928
10-28-2018, 07:20 PM

That is exactly what my parents say and I do. Last year I bought tickets for the family and them to go to Medieval Times which they loved with the kids.

This year I also found something small but sentimental that I am going to have my kids fill them out.
https://www.amazon.com/Knock-What-About-Grandma-Journal/dp/160106702X

klwa
10-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Before my mom died (10 years ago), my parents sat us down & told us they had too much stuff and to stop buying for them. Instead, we are supposed to pick an angel tree child & buy for them. My brothers and I agreed to do the same instead of buying for each other. Coming to an agreement like that makes Christmas much easier &, in a lot of ways, more fun. Because, really, isn't buying toys & kids stuff more fun than buying adult stuff? DH's family agreed to do it one year, but that was it. We still use the sibling money for angel tree kids, but his parents like gifts. For them, we get Cabela's and Ebay gift cards because they both LOVE shopping for themselves.

Melaine
10-29-2018, 08:19 AM
Before my mom died (10 years ago), my parents sat us down & told us they had too much stuff and to stop buying for them. Instead, we are supposed to pick an angel tree child & buy for them. My brothers and I agreed to do the same instead of buying for each other. Coming to an agreement like that makes Christmas much easier &, in a lot of ways, more fun. Because, really, isn't buying toys & kids stuff more fun than buying adult stuff? DH's family agreed to do it one year, but that was it. We still use the sibling money for angel tree kids, but his parents like gifts. For them, we get Cabela's and Ebay gift cards because they both LOVE shopping for themselves.

I seriously love this! We are not in this position, because both of our sets of parents live relatively modestly and neither are well off (one set was missionaries for years and years, the other lived on a one income teacher's salary for years while homeschooling four children). However, our parents are really practical and neither of them are big on stuff. If we find something they would particularly love, great, otherwise we stick with standard photo gifts from the grandkids or crafts or art that they make. I honestly think when gifts are that laborious to choose, it is time to re-evaluate the heart of gifting. I would ask if everyone is willing to go in together and support a child through compassion international or donate gifts to a reputable charity. We shouldn't have to search far and wide for gifts for adults. That's just my opinion, but I'm becoming more and more of a minimalist as the years go on!