PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you changed your hairstyle/haircut?

smiles33
10-27-2018, 10:37 PM
I am 42 years old and realized today I've had pretty much the same just past shoulder-length haircut with long layers for the past 20 years. The last time I did something different was when I agreed to be a "hair model" in a hair show in the mid 90s and they chopped it short (a la Gwyneth in the 1990s).

It currently looks a lot like this but this photo is about 1" longer than my hair (this is not me):

https://img1.southernliving.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/styles/responsive_etr_gallery_desktop_portrait/public/image/2017/10/main/thick-long-layers.jpg?itok=R1FLGHHJ

As I grew the "Gwyneth's short haircut" out, I did have a couple friends who thought I looked "best" in a chin-length bob. Yet it was a lot of work as I had to wash it every morning and blow dry it (and sometimes curl the ends). Usually, I shower at night and let it air dry so I can sleep in a little longer in the morning. Even so, I'm debating cutting it to a chin-length bob now but am a bit nervous. It's so easy to pull my current hairstyle into a ponytail or bun right now. I also can just roll out of bed, brush it a few times, and go since I prefer to wash at night and let it air dry. It works because I have straight hair and the layers can be a little "messy" (meaning the ends don't all go the same way). But a bob needs to be blow-dried out so the ends are going the same way. Plus shorter hair means more frequent haircuts (versus my current schedule of about once/6 months).

I don't want a "Mom" cut but I also don't want to look like I'm stuck in the 90s. As a 42 year old professional, I want to age gracefully!

I would love to hear from others if you cut your hair or if you've stuck to the style you liked pre-kids.

jgenie
10-27-2018, 10:53 PM
I wear my hair long generally. I did a short bob when I graduated from college. I kept it short for a few years. I let it grow out and wore it long for another 12 or so years. I needed a change and cut it short again when DS1 started school. I loved the way it looked short but I realized I always had long hair envy when I had short hair. I’m plann8ng on keeping it long for the foreseeable future.

georgiegirl
10-27-2018, 11:16 PM
I have a chin length bob. I’ve had that haircut at various times in my adult life. I’ve also had long hair. The bob I have now is more modern than 20 years ago. My hair is pretty thin, so it looks better short

This is kind of what my hair looks like when it’s on the longer side. That’s obviously not me [emoji23]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/7b29326a2e94ed48cb5ef3f4b9abe484.jpg

Snow mom
10-27-2018, 11:35 PM
My hair is naturally curly and I wear it long. I'd say the last time I cut it short was during a "mid-life crisis" in my early 20s, so at least 15 years ago. Because my hair is curly and I have no interest in battling that I feel like I have fewer options. I plan to just continue to grow it out--it grows super slowly. I don't color or style it, just wear it down if freshly washed or up if a mess from sleeping on it/static, etc.

niccig
10-28-2018, 12:18 AM
OP, my hair sounds similar to yours. I wash and let it air dry, it dries straight. I have some long layers, and it’s past my shoulders, and same part on right side. It’s the least maintenance cut, so it works for me. I stopped dying my hair about 7 years ago, as the roots touch up was too much. I have a white streak in front and less white peppered through the back. My hair dresser says to not dye it as the placement is like she highlighted it. It’s like Rogue from X-men. I use a shampoo to keep it white rather than more grayish. I often get asked how I dye my hair, [emoji38] it’s all natural. I’ve been going grey since I was 18, my dad was all white at 30 and my sister at 35, so I accepted I was fighting a losing battle.

I look less old when I wear my hair out, so I try to do that rather than pull it into a ponytail.

I say if your haircut works for you, then don’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Mommy_Mea
10-28-2018, 07:21 AM
I have a chin length bob. I’ve had that haircut at various times in my adult life. I’ve also had long hair. The bob I have now is more modern than 20 years ago. My hair is pretty thin, so it looks better short

This is kind of what my hair looks like when it’s on the longer side. That’s obviously not me [emoji23]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/7b29326a2e94ed48cb5ef3f4b9abe484.jpgFunny, I brought a picture of her hairstyle in for my last haircut [emoji16]

I all pretty much the same, but I try and mix up the style of the cut, sometimes longer, layers, bangs. For the last few years though, I went full curly girl to embrace my wavy hair.

I will grow my hair longer sometimes, but it starts to look frumpy on me, and I start wearing it in a ponytail too much, so I chop it again.

hillview
10-28-2018, 08:20 AM
I sometimes cut off 6 inches and then it grows back. My hair runs from on the shoulder to about 6 inches longer .... not much change. I do wear a pony tail most days ...

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Mine is pretty similar, OP. My layers used be more pronounced, like in the picture, but I think they’re a bit less so now.
My most interesting haircut was in jr high- asymmetrical bob with the back razored. It didn’t feel like me and I grew it out after not too long.
My hair has a tiny bit of natural wave to it and when it’s shorter it doesn’t behave well. It won’t lay right and one section always flips a weird way. So, it’s just about an inch below my collarbone because that’s where it does best.
I did have the same hair rut realization the other day but no other style really appeals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm
10-28-2018, 09:29 AM
I sometimes cut off 6 inches and then it grows back. My hair runs from on the shoulder to about 6 inches longer .... not much change. I do wear a pony tail most days ...

This is pretty much me too minus the ponytail. I only do ponytails for the gym. I go a couple inches longer than chin length to "long hair", and back again.

My hair is very very thin and lifeless. I generally wear it straight with a tiny flip at the ends, or I do a quick flat iron wave. I'm currently in a shorter phase, and am anxious for it to grow back out this time for some reason.

twowhat?
10-28-2018, 11:55 AM
I changed my hair pretty drastically about 2 months ago. I had a slight-longer-than shoulder length bob and I originally wanted to buzz it all off but several people (including you guys) talked me down LOL. So I got it chopped it into a short pixie. I have thick, coarse asian hair, and some of my individual hairs are even wavy/curly so the pixie made me nervous - that's not a hairstyle that generally works well for asian hair but I asked my stylist (who is VERY talented) to take a close look and give me an honest opinion and he said it would work. I LOVE IT. The key is that I have to wet it in the morning and put product in it but then I can basically just wear it in a messy pixie.

I also shower and wash my hair at night (and go to bed with wet hair) so it's pretty funny to see me in the morning but I've been surprised how easy it is to take care of this cut. In the morning I just stick my head under the tub faucet (We have a freestanding tub so it's higher up) and wet my hair thoroughly, towel it dry, distribute product, and then let it air dry. Throughout the day I can muss it up and smooth it back into however I want it to look - I use Aveda men's grooming clay and it's great for this - flexible, not flaky, matte sheen, doesn't smell like cologne.

And it's grown out well too - I'm getting it cut again this week but it's been 2 months and has grown out into a perfectly shaggy long-ish pixie.

And I LOVE washing it, it is just SO EASY. SO MUCH EASIER! With my thick hair I usually have to divide it into sections to get all the shampoo out but now I can just wash it like a normal person! Especially when we're traveling and dealing with hotel low flow showerheads.

AnnieW625
10-28-2018, 12:42 PM
I am growing my hair out now and it kind of just happened. In 2010 I had chin length hair and decided to grow it out to donate and it took 3 years to get it to the middle of my back and then I ended up cutting enough off to get it back to chin length and until the end of last year I kept it between chin and shoulder length. Now this is the length of my hair and I really like it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/a322b658c92a33494f0fd4d905395575.jpg

I wash with Deva Curl shampoo and conditioner every three to four days and then let it air dry (overnight) or diffuse with a blow dryer (I last did this on Thursday AM so the photo above is untouched hair from this AM. I will wash it tomorrow morning after the gym). Sometimes I will blow it out straight. I also sometimes use OGX Aragon Oil of Morocco shampoo and conditioner and when I do that I usually end up just blowing it out straight and flip out the ends a la Jennifer Anniston’s friends cut from 1995 and it doesn’t bother me at all that I am sporting the same cut I had my freshman year in college.

I am 41.

twowhat! I would love to see a photo of your hair!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
10-28-2018, 12:58 PM
I hate having my hair long and prefer my hair about collar length, so it's still long enough that I can play with it, but short enough that I can get away with a barrette or headband if I don't feel like messing around with an updo or ponytail.

It's also the length that works best for me if I let it air dry, but I can also manage to do a decent blowout if I want something a bit more polished.

I also like to wear bangs (self-conscious about my face shape and forehead) but the heavy "schoolgirl" look makes me look like Anne Rice or Anna Wintour, and not in a good way.

It's been forever since I've done anything with my hair, though, so it's too long and I hate it.

mackmama
10-28-2018, 07:20 PM
I had very long hair my entire life until a few years ago when I chopped it off into a very short pixie. DH loved it. I liked it until I gained weight after an accident, then I didn't think it was flattering. It's back to very long now, and I was just thinking I might cut it to a little below the shoulder.

doberbrat
10-28-2018, 07:30 PM
1st week in Sept I cut 15.5 in off!

Still miss the long hair but it was definitely overdue for something 'different'!

bisous
10-28-2018, 10:27 PM
I pretty much have had the same hairstyle forever. Long, side part, highlighted, some face framing layers. My hairdresser might point out some details that have changed over the years (different type of shaping, less stripy more balayage now, etc.) But it’s pretty much the same. But I love it. No desire to change. :)

DualvansMommy
10-28-2018, 10:41 PM
I’ve always varied the length over the years from long (few inches past my shoulder) to a bob length. From my early 20’s to current, I add in layers as well.

It’s usually also pretty straight, dries flat and easy to blow dry. However since having the kids, my hair gotten bit thinner, dries curly if I don’t use product on wet hair or blow dry. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and keeping my length to just above my shoulders work best for me. Whenever I run or exercise, I just wear it up with a headband or ponytail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wendibird22
10-29-2018, 10:55 AM
I have very short hair and almost always do. It was once shoulder length in my mid-20s. I've had super short pixie's most of my life, then a longer shag, and now an inverted bob. Bangs are chin length and it's short in the back. It's been various versions of this short bob for a few years. I do hate getting stuck in a hair style and FB memories certainly reminds me of how many years I've had a certain look. But, with it being so short, I don't have a lot of options.

hellokitty
10-29-2018, 06:33 PM
I have very boring hair. Either it's chin, shoulder or longer length. I'm asian, my hair is straight and won't curl and worse yet, now I have to dye it too. So, I never got to dye any interesting colors and now all I want is just for my hair to look black. I wish I had more exciting hair, the lack of ability for me to style my hair w/o a ton of product is a big factor.

smiles33
11-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I chopped 4" off this weekend, so while it's not a chin-length bob (the longest layers still hit my shoulders), I'm glad I did something more "dramatic" for a change of pace.