PDA

View Full Version : S / O If you color your hair, do you think you always will?

jgenie
10-27-2018, 10:56 PM
I color my hair and probably will continue to do so for a long time. I was thinking about it today though and wondering if there is an age when women should stop coloring? Is there a point when it’s just obvious that hair is colored like a comb over is obviously trying to hide baldness?

smilequeen
10-27-2018, 11:04 PM
IDK...my mom still covers her grey in her mid 70s and I think it's fine. I plan to color mine until I feel like embracing the grey, who knows when?

georgiegirl
10-27-2018, 11:04 PM
My mom is 71 and she still colors her hair. But it looks pretty natural. She’s dark blonde.

I don’t color my hair, but I don’t have any grey yet at 44.

smiles33
10-27-2018, 11:14 PM
DH's grandmother was still coloring her hair jet black at almost 90. I thought that looked a bit too dramatic. My own mom colors her hair at 66, but she does a softer dark brown/burgundy color instead of jet black. It still looks obviously colored, but not as dramatic.

I haven't had to color my hair yet, but I'm hoping I can just let it go gray. One of DH's aunts has beautiful salt and pepper hair (in a shoulder-length bob) and I'm hoping to go that route.

ArizonaGirl
10-27-2018, 11:27 PM
I have highlights, not to cover gray, just because.
I will go pink/purple/etc. When it gets gray... And I retire as I'm not allowed "exotic" colors at work. :(

KrisM
10-27-2018, 11:28 PM
I don't color my hair and probably never will. I'm 48 and have a few greys but not many.

My mom colored her's from age 30 on until she developed an allergy to the dye about 4 years ago. She did try a few different types but ended up letting it go and is now completely grey at 69. After so many years of coloring it, it still surprises me when I see her and it's grey!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
10-27-2018, 11:30 PM
Yes, I will probably color forever since my hair color is now a dark, ashy grey with some white mixed in. Yuck. The funny thing is that Dh LOVES grey hair on ladies. He always notices older women with salt and pepper grey hair. He wants me to let my color grow out naturally. I think he’s crazy. That ain’t happening.

zukeypur
10-28-2018, 12:25 AM
I stopped after my 20 year reunion. I can’t say in embracing the gray, but I’m not going broke trying to cover it up.

niccig
10-28-2018, 12:51 AM
I gave up around 38. I started to go gray at 18, my dad was white at 30 and my older sister at 35. It’s a losing battle in my family. I found a dark color was too much work because of the obvious roots, my hair grows quickly, and I was having blonde highlights woven into the gray. I was getting blonder and blonder because of the amount of gray. I was having to dye it more often and it was costing a fortune.

My hairdresser agreed to not dye it as the gray is more highlights around my face. I use a shampoo to keep it more white and shiny. I’ve had people ask me how I color my hair and be envious that the gray looks good. I’m only 45. I expect to be all white by 55.

I think an all over color is too harsh as we age. Highlights/lowlights help to soften the color. Keep dyeing it if you want to. But letting it go isn’t awful either.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
10-28-2018, 03:33 AM
I'm 37 and just recently started developing gray hairs that I pluck out whenever I find them! I don't know when I'll have enough to start drying my hair but I definitely will. My mom is 62 and dyes her hair frequently on her own. Hers looks natural though.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

hillview
10-28-2018, 08:22 AM
I might embrace the grey when I retire from working but until then I don't think I will. I color mine every 6 weeks.

JBaxter
10-28-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm 51 and just started to notice a few grays I do a balayage highlights so we did some low lights and a little more lights at my face last time I think that was august? and I havent seen any grays coming through yet. Yes I will color my hair for EVER. My mom will be 70 in November she wears hers a dark blond she was a chestnut brown in her youth.

TwinFoxes
10-28-2018, 09:36 AM
If my hair ever turns a nice all over gray or white like I see some people, I'll stop coloring. My grays are only at my temples, like where horns would grow! No thanks. It looks ridiculous, and it really ages me.

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2018, 09:48 AM
When I’m old enough to merit senior citizen discounts officially then maybe I’ll stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
10-28-2018, 10:47 AM
When I’m old enough to merit senior citizen discounts officially then maybe I’ll stop.

Bealls Dept store starts senior tuesday discounts at 50!

NCGrandma
10-28-2018, 10:59 AM
I live in a retirement community where I get to see the full range of "aging hair"! Most of us don’t color it, so the most common is some mix of grey and white, with the white gradually taking over. But a few women still color their hair, anything from a soft brown or blonde to a really jarring dark brown that screams "fake" because every strand is the same color.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
10-28-2018, 11:11 AM
I've let the gray come in for the last 10 years, I get a few blonde highlights, but my hair has about 50 or more shades of gray/silver/white/blonde, I'm 51 and both my parents and brother were gray very young. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/fbc3cedb499251edd7f3937281a2d208.jpg

I have no IDEA why this pic is so big, I linked it from my phone, so sorry, nobody needs a photo this big!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JustMe
10-28-2018, 12:06 PM
I am 51 and have been coloring my hair for over 10 years. I want to stop or do something different. My hair was naturally brown, but started getting a lot of grays early. I would not have started to color it, but a bunch of co-workers convinced me to do so and came over my house to help me the first time. Then I started getting compliments about how I looked 10 years younger, so I kept doing it.

My hair seems to grow in mostly white, but then also a lot of salt and pepper, including dark gray not near the roots... Since it grows in white, I have to color it often to not look like a skunk. I really would love to stop or find some way to blend my hair so I don't have to do it so often. I don't care if there is some gray showing, and don't mind looking my age..but all gray would make me look a lot older because I don't have good skin. Wish I could find someone to consult with me who I felt knew what they were doing. I wouldnt mind paying for this, but cant pay lots of money on a regular basis for maintenance.

HannaAddict
10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I've let the gray come in for the last 10 years, I get a few blonde highlights, but my hair has about 50 or more shades of gray/silver/white/blonde, I'm 51 and both my parents and brother were gray very young. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/fbc3cedb499251edd7f3937281a2d208.jpg

Your hair looks amazing!

DualvansMommy
10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I never knew my mom was a brunette until I’ve seen photos of her as a young woman and after having me. She decided to go blonde which is what I’ve always remembered her. Still dyes her hair at 75 and not storing despite being so time consuming and expensive! She used to go every 5 months when I was young, but now every 2-3 months.

I have few greys around my temple, started highlighting during college and kept up with it. Back then it was 2-3 a YEAR but now it’s becoming every 7-9 weeks. But I really don’t have time for that though, so it’s more like every 3 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bisous
10-28-2018, 10:49 PM
I’m 42 and don’t have any gray hair yet (I don’t think). I think upkeep on lighter hair is easier than on dark hair. I’ll make an assessment based on how it looks when we get there.

123LuckyMom
10-28-2018, 11:16 PM
I started going gray in my late teens, and I’m pretty sure I’m fully gray now, and I know the hair around my face grows in white. I’ve been coloring my hair for a loooong time! I’m 47, and I have young children. I don’t feel ready to be gray/white, and I’m not sure when I will. I do know the time will come, and I’m worried about how to grow in my gray without having a big old growing stripe and looking ridiculous! Sometimes it makes me wish I’d never colored it, but I can’t imagine being totally gray by 30 like my father was. I didn’t even have my first child until I was 37!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

StantonHyde
10-28-2018, 11:59 PM
I have colored my hair since I was 24. Not stopping now. Probably won't until I am in my 80s!!! I am a brownish/blonde that goes blonde in the summer so I just color it be my summer color year round. I have plenty of gray around my face and so far it blends in fairly well--but I keep reminding my colorist to get all those pieces near my face-ack!

klwa
10-29-2018, 07:57 AM
I got my first grey hair at 7, so I've had grey for a LONG time. It's now ~ 50% grey. About 5 years ago, I started coloring it. (When it hit ~ 25%.) For right now, that's the right choice for me. I've pretty much decided once my eyebrows go, I'm going to let it go grey so I don't have to deal with coloring them as well.

ETA: The hardest part for me is that my natural color is pretty dark brown, with red undertones. I think the ash blondes have it easiest when it comes to keeping up the coloring.

TwinFoxes
10-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Wow, mom2binSD, your hair is gorgeous! I would think people would pay to get their hair that color! If mine looked like that I wouldn't color it either. :)

In my head, I thought you were a brunette. :)

mom2binsd
10-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Twin foxes thank you. People/strangers, even the checkout boy at meijer ask me if this is my real color lol! The girl who cuts my hair and gives me occasional blonde highlights (like 24 foils every 9 months) gets people asking her to get their hair this color and she laughs.