PDA

View Full Version : Do you follow the 24 hr vomit free rule?

MSWR0319
10-28-2018, 05:40 PM
So DS threw up twice early Thurs morning. I kept him home from school obviously. Seemed fine Friday and all weekend. Last night, he said his stomach hurt while we were trick or treating, but seemed fine once we got home. Today he said it hurt on and off and I started to wonder if something was up. Well, he had it come out both ends at 2:30 and then was fine. Said he feels great. I am planning on keeping him home 1) because that's the rule and he wouldn't have been 24 hr vomit free and 2) because if he has diarrhea again he's not going to be able to handle it well himself (he's only 6). DH asks like I'm crazy for keeping him home because he's acting fine. Do you keep yours home the full 24hrs if they're feeling ok?

JBaxter
10-28-2018, 05:44 PM
I'd say I follow an 18-24 hr rule IF they are feeling good the next morning and have eaten a regular breakfast.

hillview
10-28-2018, 06:03 PM
yes I follow the rule -- kids often seem fine and then are not

georgiegirl
10-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Yes! All schools have the 24 hour rule. I hate hate vomit and I hate when people send their kids back before 24 hours. DS1 was hospitalized for rotavirus when he was in kindergarten. I’m sure he caught it from a classmate who was sent back to school too soon.

m4nash
10-28-2018, 06:12 PM
In your case I would follow the 24 hr rule. I have one kid with bad reflux, who will occasionally vomit if he goes to bed right after eating a rich meal, especially if he's missed his medicine. In that case, I do send him to school the next morning, as I know he's not contagious and he feels fine the next day.

HannaAddict
10-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Yes. And having both vomiting and diarrhea I would be livid to find out a kid was sent to school before a full day without any illness. Sounds like he has a tummy bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_mom
10-28-2018, 06:23 PM
At 6 years old, yes. Older kids (say 12+) who can judge these things better, it depends. MS and above here don't have a 24 he rule for vomiting.

doberbrat
10-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Yes. And having both vomiting and diarrhea I would be livid to find out a kid was sent to school before a full day without any illness. Sounds like he has a tummy bug.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly this

MSWR0319
10-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Thank you!! I knew I was right. I showed DH your responses and he just rolled his eyes. Ha! He hates it when I'm right. I've been told there's a nasty stomach bug going around school and quite a few of the first graders were out last week. It must have hit the K wing this week!

mackmama
10-28-2018, 07:05 PM
I always keep DC home for 24 hours post illness. Kids often seem ok and then can regress quickly. Regardless, I hate it when parents send kids back prematurely and infect others. My DH acts the same as yours btw.

gymnbomb
10-28-2018, 08:49 PM
I'd say I follow an 18-24 hr rule IF they are feeling good the next morning and have eaten a regular breakfast.

Yes to this. I stay close to 24 hours, but maybe not exactly to the hour. Definitely need to have eaten and kept down something for both dinner and breakfast. For what was described in OP I would keep him home tomorrow.

DualvansMommy
10-28-2018, 09:57 PM
With younger kids, keep home without question. Especially when it’s both! I know with mine, they can feel and look great after an episode but regress very quickly next morning. I may be bit lax when it’s one or the other in older kids with better judgement and ability to know minor blah feeling to a bug or virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bisous
10-28-2018, 10:25 PM
I was going to answer yes, unequivocally because I’m a rule follower and I think it’s a good practice. BUT, I realized that I do make exceptions for DS2 who has a crazy gag reflex. He will throw up if he eats too much. I feel like I’m pretty good at knowing when we have an incident with him and when he’s actually sick. So I guess I do break the rule sometimes! But generally I do follow it absolutely!

georgiegirl
10-28-2018, 10:29 PM
I was going to answer yes, unequivocally because I’m a rule follower and I think it’s a good practice. BUT, I realized that I do make exceptions for DS2 who has a crazy gag reflex. He will throw up if he eats too much. I feel like I’m pretty good at knowing when we have an incident with him and when he’s actually sick. So I guess I do break the rule sometimes! But generally I do follow it absolutely!

There’s a difference between puking because you have a virus and kids who puke for other reasons (DD used to puke from anxiety when she was a toddler.)

marymoo86
10-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Yes! All schools have the 24 hour rule. I hate hate vomit and I hate when people send their kids back before 24 hours. DS1 was hospitalized for rotavirus when he was in kindergarten. I’m sure he caught it from a classmate who was sent back to school too soon.

Nope our system doesn’t. Says 12hrs for vomiting or diahrrea.

DD1 will throw up from sinus drainage so depends on what I’m dealing with as to how we address it and timing of incident.

123LuckyMom
10-28-2018, 11:09 PM
It depends why they threw up. If it’s a situation unrelated to a possible bug, like a bad coughing spell or a gag reflex issue, I might fudge it, but I’ve seen a bunch of viruses that have intermittent vomiting over the course of days. If the vomiting was connected to illness, I absolutely obey the rule. I don’t want my child exposing others to a bad bug, and I don’t want my child suddenly feeling ill and vomiting in school, and that can absolutely happen with this type of bug. When my DD has s big like thus a couple of years ago, I obeyed the rule and waited. She was 24 hrs since vomiting, no fever, feeling fine, but she wasn’t actually recovered, and she had another episode in school and was out for another few days. You just never know with that type of bug!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
10-29-2018, 07:46 AM
For the most part yes. And in your situation I would. If my kid throws up after breakfast one day but then gets through lunch and dinner and is playing just fine, I'll send him to school the next morning, even if it's 22 hours. And DD used to often throw up after coughing, so that one was different.

klwa
10-29-2018, 07:51 AM
I'm going to vote "it depends". In the situation you describe, yep. I'd keep him home in a heart beat. But, DD1 has reflux issues that weren't diagnosed for a long time. So, she'll sometimes wake up, vomit, and then be fine. So, I don't keep her home if it's fairly obviously from her reflux and not a virus.

Melaine
10-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Yes, absolutely.

georgiegirl
10-29-2018, 09:52 AM
So this morning when I was driving carpool, the kids were talking about whether they went to church and one kid said his little brother (8) puked at 1am and his mom still had him go to church the next morning. One of the other kids asked if it was because he ate too much candy (our neighborhood did trick or treating that night), and the brother said no, he only are one candy bar and that he thinks he never recovered from his puking illness the 5 days before. That kid was at my house on Thursday and the mom assured me he was healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
10-29-2018, 11:03 AM
So this morning when I was driving carpool, the kids were talking about whether they went to church and one kid said his little brother (8) puked at 1am and his mom still had him go to church the next morning. One of the other kids asked if it was because he ate too much candy (our neighborhood did trick or treating that night), and the brother said no, he only are one candy bar and that he thinks he never recovered from his puking illness the 5 days before. That kid was at my house on Thursday and the mom assured me he was healthy.

Oh my. I had a dentist appt scheduled for this morning that DH was going to come home and stay with DS for, but I ended up cancelling that because my stomach is a bit crampy and rumbly and I didn't want to chance it being whatever DS has and share it with everyone in the dentist office. It'll be a hassle to reschedule but I felt it was best to not chance it.

gymnbomb
10-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Oh my. I had a dentist appt scheduled for this morning that DH was going to come home and stay with DS for, but I ended up cancelling that because my stomach is a bit crampy and rumbly and I didn't want to chance it being whatever DS has and share it with everyone in the dentist office. It'll be a hassle to reschedule but I felt it was best to not chance it.

Sounds like a good decision. Hope you don't end up getting sick!

boolady
10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Yes. DD's school had a norovirus outbreak that lasted for almost all of December two years ago. Much of it could have been avoided if people had followed the guidelines sent home by the school, especially in an elementary school where bathroom tidiness and diligent hand washing are hard to enforce.

doberbrat
10-29-2018, 03:58 PM

SO obnoxious!!! I'm sorry! Its so selfish/rude.

Its one thing when a kid comes to your house seemingly fine and then goes home and pukes during the night and you get a sheepish call from the mom to apologize. Its quite another when the kid pukes at night and THEN comes over to your house!

okinawama
10-31-2018, 08:25 AM
This is us as well. Obviously if it's the weekend, and nobody has to be at work, we always do 24hours. However, if it's in the middle of a workweek, and DC is acting/eating normal, and we are only a few hours shy of the 24 hours, we send them.