PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my tall 15yo tomorrow?

bisous
10-30-2018, 10:36 PM
DS1 wants to ToT tomorrow. He’s 6’ tall and has a deep voice, lol. Should I talk to him about staying home? I personally think it’s a good place for teens to be but I know not all agree! A lot of his friends stay at home to ToT but our neighborhood is dead so we usually go with cousins. He’s reasonable in that hell do what I ask him to do tomorrow. I just don’t know how he’ll be received or if I should ask him to stay in. What are you doing with your tall teen?

DualvansMommy
10-30-2018, 10:41 PM
What’s your area like with teens for ToT? Around here, we’ve a cute downtown with historic homes that really go all out for Halloween. The local fire station is right in middle of it too, so they go out in force too! Police come on duty to patrol too and close down that entire little neighborhood so people can ToT safely.

Little ones tend to go first in daylight from 5-6:30 and that’s when older kids/teens go out to ToT till 9pm. Only rule is the teens have to be dressed up, all are still welcome! So I think it really varies neighborhood to neighborhood. I would, if I had a respectful 15 year old all out to dress up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PZMommy
10-30-2018, 10:48 PM
I’d say let him go ToT. My little guys like to go ToT with their big cousins who are 14 and 16. They are dressed up and respectful, and no one has ever said a word about them being too old.

BDKmom
10-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Older kids trick-or-treating is fine with me, as long as they are respectful and don't trample the smaller kids, which is a request I would say applies to all kids. Let him go. Maybe explain to him before hand that he may get some comments and coach him on how to handle that. Worst case he can just help your DD or other younger cousins with their TOTing.

bisous
10-30-2018, 11:08 PM
This is pretty good to hear! He’s actually the best big brother ever and since I’ll be ToTing largely without DH tomorrow he could always be my helper! I hope it isn’t problematic. He’s still such a kid at heart.

ett
10-30-2018, 11:11 PM
This is pretty good to hear! He’s actually the best big brother ever and since I’ll be ToTing largely without DH tomorrow he could always be my helper! I hope it isn’t problematic. He’s still such a kid at heart.

It would definitely be fine for him to go ToTing. My 15 year old is staying home tomorrow, but that is his choice. We do have older kids going around our neighborhood.

TwinFoxes
10-30-2018, 11:14 PM
We don’t know the area so you probably have a better sense of how he’ll be received. But he’s going with you, right? I’d think most people aren’t ballsy enough to say anything with a mom nearby.

ray7694
10-30-2018, 11:31 PM
My son is 14 yo and stopped going at 12. He will go with his sister and gladly eat her candy as his payment.

StantonHyde
10-30-2018, 11:41 PM
DS stopped by 13 ish. DD is still dressing up and going at 13. My rule is--as long as you are dressed up and don't ring my doorbell after 8:30, and you're polite--I will give you candy. I don't care how old you are!

essnce629
10-31-2018, 01:07 AM
My DS1 is 15 years old, 5'10, and 170lbs. He's dressing up tomorrow and going TOTing. I don't think not going ever crossed his mind! He's also dressing up at school (10th grade).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
10-31-2018, 01:24 AM
I had a 6’ tall 13 year old who looked 16 who went last year. Tons of teens in costume in the prime area of our neighborhood lit up like Vegas with big candy bars. Big crowds of older kids having fun. The younger ones go early and in the village and regular neighborhood. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pharmjenn
10-31-2018, 02:22 AM
My oldest nephew is only 13yo, about 5'11 and 200lbs with a deep voice and acne. He will be dressing up and ToT'ing with his twin brother (smaller) and 8yo brother. I really hope no one says something.

gamma
10-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Definitely let him go. There are 20 cousins in our family, ages senior in HS to infant. We all T-O-T together. So much fun!

AnnieW625
10-31-2018, 10:36 AM
We get plenty of teen age or adult trick or treaters in our area that dress up. I think it is cool. Halloween isn’t my thing so I don’t dress up or anything, but I say give it a go if he wants to dress up and go trick or treating. It will be nice to have the extra help with your younger ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2018, 10:48 AM
So long as they are polite I will give candy to anyone. Even if they aren't polite I will- I'll just b*tch about them once they're gone. I don't need the candy here! Happy to pass it off. I appreciate when they wear costumes but I know not everyone can wear costumes ($, sensory issues...).

TwinFoxes
10-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Well, a neighbor just asked me if her 13 year old DD could come with me and my girls. She's my height (5'8") and definitely could be mistaken for older. I'm happy to take her, and no one had better say anything rude to her! :11:

robinsmommy
10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Th only big issue I have with ToT'ers is when there are math issues - when I say "pick two pieces" I mean that, not "take a handful." Usually it's just the teeny ones, and I totally let that slide - and usually the parent will manage them. But I get peeved when kids who are plenty old enough to know better make a grab.

And yep, I usually just complain when they are gone. No point in dealing with egg on the house.

georgiegirl
10-31-2018, 11:09 AM
Definitely bring him! DD (who looks easily 14) and her friends (13) went out (we are weird and trick or treat early here in Iowa), and they were dressed up as gross things (kind of like zombies, with special effects make up and “bloody” sweatshirts) and they had a blast. So long as the kids are respectful and ideally dressed up, I’m happy to give treats to teenagers. As DD says, “it’s free candy! Who wouldn’t want to trick or treat?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikala
10-31-2018, 11:22 AM
DS stopped by 13 ish. DD is still dressing up and going at 13. My rule is--as long as you are dressed up and don't ring my doorbell after 8:30, and you're polite--I will give you candy. I don't care how old you are!Same! We usually have a few kids arrive without costumes and bearing pillowcases for their lbs of loot. I still give them candy but only let them take one full sized bar, dressed up polite teens are offered two towards the end of the night :)

Corie
10-31-2018, 02:19 PM
I say let him go!! As long as he is dressed in a costume, who cares??

My 16 yr. old daughter and her friends are going trick or treating. She is going as a vampire. She has
always been super gung-ho about Halloween and dressing up and special effects makeup.

bisous
10-31-2018, 03:33 PM
I say let him go!! As long as he is dressed in a costume, who cares??

My 16 yr. old daughter and her friends are going trick or treating. She is going as a vampire. She has
always been super gung-ho about Halloween and dressing up and special effects makeup.

I bet she'll look amazing. Haven't you posted some of her work before here?

Good to hear that ToTing is okay for the tall ones. :)

TwinFoxes
10-31-2018, 04:00 PM
Th only big issue I have with ToT'ers is when there are math issues - when I say "pick two pieces" I mean that, not "take a handful." Usually it's just the teeny ones, and I totally let that slide - and usually the parent will manage them. But I get peeved when kids who are plenty old enough to know better make a grab.

Why not just hand them two pieces? That's what I do, not because I have an issue with people taking more it's just how I do it.